DooM

is there an sb .zip floating around

4 Likes

http://totalchaosmod.com/
3 Likes

thats the doom engine

That doesn’t look chaotic at all

You are the mighty Bus Slayer, and you are on a mighty quest to drive your mighty Hell Bus from Mt. Erebus to Limbo and back in the deserts of Hell. Along this 400 mile trip, you must obey the posted 66 mile per hour speed limit at all times. Also, there is a teleporter in the back of the bus which summons an angry Revenant every seven seconds for the entire duration of the trip.

Will Bus Slayer complete his round trip safely? Can you uncover the WAD’s dark secrets? How many Revenants can fit in a bus? Answers to all these questions and more await in Revenant Bus!

18 Likes
1 Like

Why would they take the worst qualities of either game and mash them together? First person Diablo please ok thanks

1 Like

So, there are some basic terms and rules regarding map classification by Level Progress and interpretation of maps based on it using Linear Diagrams which I call Level Progress Diagrams .

Level Progress Diagram ( LPD ) is a simplified representation of map that depicts its Level Progress .

LPD may be presented in either detailed or simplified to any extent forms.

Level Progress is a sequence of all mandatory actions performed by player from the start of map till exit. These actions include going thru Pathways and visiting Key Points .

Pathway is a map area that connects two keypoints. It can have any shape, for example that of a narrow corridor, small room or giant arena.

Key Point is a map area that is mandatory to visit in order to progress further because it contains an essential object (key, switch, boss, locked door).

Depending on the type of Level Progress all maps can be divided into Linear and Nonlinear .

*LINEAR map provides level progress that can be simplified into a line on LPD.

Examples of typical linear maps include: E1M8, E2M1, E3M1

Linear maps not always appear in their pure form, in that case they are classified as Generally Linear .

Generally Linear maps may include structures of various nonlinear types (see further) but they are minor and don’t affect gameplay that much.

Example: E1M2 is generally linear, even though it has two staircases to red key room the rest of a map is strictly linear.

*NONLINEAR map contains alternative paths to key points, it’s level progress remains different from simple line after simplification on LPD.

Nonlinear maps can be divided into 3 general types (which also may be combined):

I) Fork maps generally include 2 or more alternative paths to keypoints (open or secret) which are significantly different from each other. This includes different ways to key/switch room, different ways to a key door, different paths with a same key color door at the end which lead to same area.
Example: E1M1 is typical fork level since it has a secret path from beginning almost till the exit of map.

There are also special types of forks, not so common:

Key optional map has a key door and alternative paths without locked door that are either harder or hidden in the secret.

Key interdependent map is a second grade key optional type, it provides different ways to obtain keys + all of them may be obtained in any order.

Example: Alpha Accident E1M2 is typical a key optional level, you can pickup blue key via red door or go longer way thru the cellars. Also, an area with a switch can be accessed either thru red or blue key door.

II) Collector maps have multiple independent ways to key points which may be visited in any order.

Example: E2M6 is a typical Collector level, you hunt 3 keys in different areas the way you want, exit door is behind 3 colored doors.

III) Grid maps have multiple ways to keypoints as well as multiple interconnections between pathways.

Example: E3M2 is a typical Grid level since you have to navigate thru open maze of rocks to collect blue key

Sandbox is a spacious type of grid map, it has more intersections and they are wider and bigger than keypoint areas, so that pathways are less defined than in a grid level.

Example: E3M6 is a typical outdoor Sandbox level.

Those 3 types and their subtypes may be are combined or even be included in a generally linear map.

Examples:

E4M3 – a collector sandbox with a fork and key optional areas.

E4M5 – key optional grid

E4M1 – generally linear with little fork

E1M7 – generally linear with grid in the beginning

Level progress diagrams also may have special pathway indications – Arena , One-Way Path and One-Side Access . Complete simplification of LPD may remove them sometimes (but not always).

Arena is a large map area with minor structures or obstacles inside. It may belong to either linear or nonlinear map.

Arena without any obstacles inside may count a linear map structure (since it becomes simply a big room).

Arena with lots of obstacles (such as columns, walls, ledges, fences, stairs, ramps) that lead to keypoints in significantly different ways is nonlinear map structure .

One-Way Path indicator is put if after achieving a key point player can’t go back the same way. It’s put for convenience of non simplified LPDs, after complete simplification they become simple lines.

Example: E3M3 has a one-way path from flesh ceilings into blood channels

One-Side Access differs from One-Way Path, because it removes itself after being activated.

Example: in D2 Map28 player can access yellow key from the throne room, also there’s a way back to yellow door thru cavern with masterminds. If he gets to yellow key from the other side he needs to return back to yellow door thru the same corridor.

LPDs for all Ultimate DooM and DooM2 maps:

6 Likes
3 Likes

Beautifully done.

1 Like

SIGILTM is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOMÂŽ created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOMÂŽ in order to play. SIGILTM is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOMÂŽ, and picks up where the original left off.

3 Likes

honestly my main impression on watching that video is “you know what, Doom 2016 turned out really, really good”

2 Likes

Doom Eternal put out this video which is pretty cute as far as these things go

Thank you for remembering TI-83 Doom
3 Likes

Doom is a classic, and John Romero is my favorite level designer.
I’m looking forward to SIGIL.

I wonder if we’ll see more Doom by Romero after this.

3 Likes

Came here to post this but dang you were fast. I really like that video, it’s a great tribute

I love that box! Same dimensions as the box Ultimate Doom came in (which I no longer have but wish I still did). I might buy this just for that box. Damn I wish computer games still came in big giant boxes.

I want a pewter of John Romero’s head on a stick, but not $166 want. I think I’ll get the other package. Does John get money from it? Would be nice he get a good chunk of it since I pirated everything else he worked on.

2 Likes

saturn doom is real hard to play but i think i’ll try and beat all the episodes this way anyway. i mean, it’s still doom.

it’s pretty depressing though. shit runs barely better than SNES doom :frowning:

2 Likes