discount elysium (deals thread 2)

it left me a little cold and I eventually got tired of how much it was trying to do “linear storytelling, but in metrovania levels” – felt like owlboy, a little past its time. objectively very well made though

I really didn’t like it in the end. Too many doors of find the one verb that will open this one. Dialog feel into the hole of ESL webcomic/serious. I would just stare at sentences trying to parse the sentiment. Really glad I played it for free.

3 Likes

Sees character eatting hot peppers: “Welp, guess you’re eatting hot peppers again >:D”

3 Likes

I thought the writing was mostly good. it’s not that deep, but I liked how the primary antagonist was written… it feels like it’s going for a chrono trigger-like super brisk and stylish mode of storytelling and I think it succeeds in that regard.

it only feels formally like a metroidvania… the dev has been open about metroid fusion being a prime influence, and that makes a ton of sense to me – it’s more about dense environmental puzzles than non-linear exploration. there’s a little of that, but the game is overall very linear and, like fusion, it doesn’t waste your time with much backtracking, or ever leave you hanging wondering what to do next. you can revisit past areas almost any time you want, and there are a lot fun secrets to find. I think the core puzzle platformer design is exceptionally well done, and that’s really the focus here more than being an exploration-based game.

so idk if, like me, you love metroid fusion, you’ll probably have a great time with it. if you didn’t, it may not be for you! but I think it’s worth rolling the dice for 60% off.

5 Likes

I gotta say, I just started indivisible and I feel like it does this exact thing much more than iconoclasts ever does. so far I’m mostly impressed by how much the game sells it though.

2 Likes

Which is “the game” in that sentence?

Metroid II/Fusion are the only Metroid games I actually really enjoyed (Zero Mission was alright, too) so maybe I’ll dig Iconoclasts. I get sick of tradition Metroidvania’s constant backtracking and ability door locks. I mean I loved the atmosphere and world of Super Metroid but I got so sick of wondering where I was supposed to go next because I couldn’t remember where that one hidden wall that could only be destroyed with a certain ability was on the other side of the map.

3 Likes

Sykel play Junkoid the M1 hack that has All Visible Secrets. Really incredible.

2 Likes

I played Iconoclasts for the first time recently, there’s a bit of discussion about it starting here:

2 Likes

indivisible

With liberty and justice for all

8 Likes

and to all a good night

10 Likes

reading this discussion late, I pretty much agree with your take entirely. also, like others, I avoided playing it because I had seen too many negative reactions on SB. and boy I regret that! it’s really good.

I honestly don’t think it’s overwritten… I get the “webcomic” criticism but I agree with whoever in the other thread said that the characters have a surprising amount of emotional depth, and the story gets much darker than you’d expect, without ever feeling forced or overwrought. and the whole game is just permeated with obsessive passion project love, which always goes a long way for me.

4 Likes

Konjak and I are pals, and I played Iconoclasts a few times during development to give him feedback. After my last play (either shortly before or after release, i forget) I gushed at him over how much emotional depth characters had once you think about their place in the world and motivations.

Really great game! Was not expecting it to make me feel so much, just for it to be a great action game (which it also is)

2 Likes

I bought it and I am enjoying it so far! thanks folks

3 Likes

Free Chaos Gate.

3 Likes

The individual games for Capcom Arcade Stadium on PS4 are 50% off to 6/8. I finally bit the bullet on Progear and Gigawing for $1.00 each.

5 Likes

Wolfenstein New Order free on epic.

1 Like

gigawing is a gift to humanity

5 Likes

REEEEEEEFLECTAAAAAAAAA FOOOOOOOOOCE

Oh probably that’s not in this version, English and all. But yeah. Maybe my eyeballs will recover more from the photosensitivity eventually so I’ll be able to play shmups again, and if they do, I’ll have this ready. ; )

1 Like