Disco Elysium

h/t to @Dracko for linking the tweet in discord

I’m sure Keenan, Tuulik, and Sinamäe did great work but don’t let any one claim that the ZA/UM of today is practically the same as the ZA/UM that made DE and that the four core members who were with ZA/UM from the start don’t matter. It’s possible that the game studio (basically unrelated to the art collective at this point) can make something noteworthy, but they are for all intents and purposes a new studio

13 Likes

i saw this so u have to also

2 Likes

I’d rather you hadn’t.

9 Likes

Isn’t the second thing she said a verbose way of saying “communism?”

1 Like

thinking about this one again

10 Likes

Every once in a while a story pops up that I resolve to give no air to—something I don’t want to keep hearing about, something I want to suffocate, and the only way I know how to accomplish this is to avoid referring to it. To change the subject. Maybe I agree with one side or maybe I agree with the other; maybe I recognize the position folks are in on both sides and this nuance makes any external discussion irrelevant. Maybe it’s a mundane or even commonplace situation or maybe it’s a train collision, a rare-yet-somehow-inevitable catastrophe made no less tragic in its spectacle. Maybe something good will come of it, though speculating in advance will serve little purpose, or maybe I just never want to think about it again.

EDIT: oh right, I can just turn off tracking for the thread

2 Likes

I hope the former members can join forces again in future to make again something special.

1 Like

the whole ordeal with za/um is sad but jesus christ if someone actually thinks estonia is sliding into fascism that person should seek psychiatric help.

what most frustrates me about the ardent anti-‘auteur theory’ discoursers that flared up on twitter is that it feels to me what’s left is a promotion of the ‘team’ (as an abstract entity with unfixed constituent members) or the ‘developer’ as the sole entity that should ever be attributed for games (or movies or whatever) as creative works, and that’s usually literally a corporation, and this ‘if you loved disco elysium, i’m still here even though i didn’t work on it!’ tweeter sure underscores that for me

7 Likes
8 Likes

Agreed. I would so embrace this studio/team entity if its structure and actions were truly not hierarchical. But if the people still at ZA/UM want that kind of support while, apparently, investment people from the UK have exercised intense control over that group to kick out people affiliated with the original collective while hiring new ones employees, they’re asking something absurd. Despite the talents of individuals in that structure, or the passion they feel about collectivity, they aren’t a collective while power is structured at ZA/UM the way it seems to be. And if anyone working there or supporting these things says it’s okay to disregard the power structure at ZA/UM to support a supposed collective vibe within it then those are people you probably should not be jumping into a political project with.

4 Likes

While I wouldn’t be shocked if the situation is much less black and white than it appears to be - there’s something horribly funny in watching developers of Advanced Twitter Simulator handle Twitter so badly, posting through it etc., while the former devs who we’re told weren’t as talented as they seemed won public support with two tweets

16 Likes
14 Likes

idk how much this told me that i didn’t already know / wasn’t already speculated itt but here’s old mate dishing a lil

4 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like

It should take no time googling who Kaur Kender is to realize that these accusations are… hypocritical to say the least

4 Likes

Extremely sceptical since they were fired under NDA and this is only coming out after legal proceedings have been initiated. That and it’s just vague and fails at being a justification to steal from them.

Also, bosses lie.

6 Likes

I think this hasn’t been posted yet but it was probably the most illuminating statement I’ve seen on the matter, well written and lets you infer (most of) what happened

5 Likes

got inspired to pick up disco elysium again last week (after watching lets play) and finally finished it today. lots of thoughts, really appreciate the hell out of this game, will come back and post after I catch up on the thread

@digs - “lackluster critique of humanism”

6 Likes