Destiny Come On Already

It sounds like it is just about as good as any other hand cannon as long as you don’t use it like it’s The Last Word. I have never been good with The Last Word so I can’t say if it’s any good if you use it as intended.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45700/7_This-Week-At-Bungie--03022017

We’re putting the finishing touches on an announcement about the next content update for Destiny. For weeks now, we’ve been teasing relentlessly that you haven’t heard the last from the Live Team. We do that not to be cruel, but to give our team the breathing room they need to finalize the details — and bring you along on the journey as best we can.

Tomorrow, we’ll begin the conversation about what’s next, including some fresh challenges for you to tackle and the sandbox changes that were previewed last week. This article will hit the blog at 9AM Pacific. You should expect an announcement and a reveal schedule. You’ll be able to update your calendars. The countdown is about to begin.

Is it gonna be time for Vault of Glass (2017)?

2 Likes

Hey, all the gear/stuff (shaders?? Emblems??) you got in destiny 1 doesn’t carry over to destiny 2!

If they can provide a refreshed experience significant enough to justify this, okay, but

Well I can see why they told people now and not later.

I’m indifferent I guess but I’m betting some core players are gonna be real mad.

D2 really needs knock it outta the park, to use a sports metaphor

1 Like

It’s tough because if you tell people straight up that their gear is gonna be worthless in n months, a lot of the incentive to get that gear disappears. That was always a risk with the year 1 expansion model, but there was always the possibility something would be introduced to let your weapons carry over (and it did, see Etheric Light). I was originally expecting anything that is currently in a kiosk to carry over, but I guess not!

Two possible scenarios I can see happening with this next patch:

• Age of Triumph is the long-awaited raid light level upgrade. The case for this is pretty strong, as Year One raids are the only content in Destiny that have yet to be updated in some way in Year Two or Year Three. Raid weapons will return in their full glory and everyone will get six months to play with them before they are forever lost in the dark corners of time.
  • Age of Triumph rewards will cross over into Destiny 2. Sounds more unlikely, but a handful of people I know would return to the game “early” if they felt like they could get a head start on the gear reset. I guess it’s tricky though since level cap in D1 is probably roughly what greens would drop at in D2, and if you don’t give a means of upgrading that in D2, then their period of usefulness is rather short. I dunno.

We were just discussing this at work because Destiny is the bomb we’re afraid of…

They need a Destiny 2 to perform like a console sequel (bigger sales than the previous), not an MMO expansion (capturing only a subset of the launch sales). The question was, would they do something nobody’s done? Conventional wisdom is that you hold onto legacy players by their hair and never, ever touch progression.

Pretty compelling that they’re willing to jump off this cliff. As a player who did at most 2 solid months during Taken King, this is pretty immaterial from a standard obsolescence due to new gear; but for new players, it is a huge complexity ease and ensures they won’t be stuck playing old content, built without any mind towards all the new systems, while all their friends are off in the new.

they’re also banking on a lot of new players coming in with the pc version this time i guess

i’m mostly indifferent and having a ‘get your pals together and do the old raids again!’ event before the sequel drops is fine by me

just… just… deej… bring back the pink halloween shader in d2

1 Like

fine with me too, though i can’t imagine the rage they must be getting particularly re: eververse stuff

A jaunt through the old raids would be fun, but being v honest I’m really disinterested in more refreshes of old content (when the game isn’t even that old). I want new stuff and new experiences in new places.

Destiny feels sterile to me now. I really hope their mo on 2 isn’t “make everything fair to the point where it’s uninteresting, look at our stoic and cool data-driven decisions”. Nice gunplay isn’t enough when every gun just feels like slightly altered values on a spreadsheet. The game needs new life for sure, but they alienated a lot of people by bumbling the release of 1. Destiny is a joke to a lot of people and they may have already blown it. It’s an uphill battle and I don’t envy the pressure they must all be under

Anyway d2 better have some fuckin swords

1 Like

Destiny in general has always struck me as “dev team cracking under pressure: The Game”. Anxiety has always been palpable in all their public statements with their cageyness, humorlessness and forced hubris. It’s a testament to just how skilled Bungie is that the game still managed to be somewhat fun even while the dev team clearly was having no fun at all.

2 Likes

the launch party was famously miserable

1 Like

So subtle.

vog, crota and kings fall coming back at 390
challenge mode for vog and ce

Man I might finally get to play King’s Fall.

Age of Triumph release date: Tuesday, March 28

Record Book

• 13 pages in the Age of Triumph record book
  • Record book pages: story completion, titan, hunter, warlock, strikes, Crucible, raids, (kiosk) collections, “wanderer” collectibles (SIVA shards, dead ghosts, etc…), factions, Trials of Osiris
  • You will be less than halfway through the record book on day 1 if you’ve been with Destiny since launch
  • Most rewards appear to be emblems, though unfortunately no word on whether emblems carry over to Destiny 2 (come on pls)

General Raid

• Every week there’s a featured raid with all challenges active and added rewards (nightfall tier rewards? plus Age of Triumph ornaments)
  • New raid rewards in the loot pool, all Y3 raid gear has new ornament slots
  • Rollout schedule: Week 1 is Crota’s End, Week 2 is VoG, Week 3 is King’s Fall
  • All previous raid bosses now work with Three of Coins
  • Patch notes will be intentionally vague to prevent it from spoiling raids for newcomers

Vault of Glass

• Atheon challenge mode is the “hardest challenge mode we’ve made”
  • Pre-Templar encounters (oracles) have been shortened a bit
  • Minor tweaks to nerf cheese strategies
  • “I promise we haven’t touched the amount of chests in the Vault of Glass”

Crota’s End

• More significant changes were needed for this raid (lul) and they have been backported all the way down to normal mode, though no details on what

King’s Fall

• Loot table simplified

all of this is cool i guess, but i already got a vex mythoclast in year 1 and i don’t really want to bother with getting another one. (but it’s a YEAR THREEeE mythoclast rye!!)

it would have been cool if they did this stuff the first time around! they’re just retro-fitting stuff with checklists. i have a fatebringer. it was awesome. that time has passed in my life. this new-old-gun thing almost feels like a capitalist metaphor.

sorry guys i just have recycled content fatigue with this game. if D2 follows the same (admittedly clever) process of repacking old content and getting players to go through it again and again because of new dangling carrots™ (small print: dangling carrots not compatible with destiny 2) i’m gonna lose interest real quick

yes yes i know it’s a free update, and really it’s a fine and a nice thing to do for current players cause they could just do nothing

not trying to personally attack anyone here who might be into it though, thanks for dropping the info sakurina! i can’t do live streams because everything about them makes me cringe (mostly deej)

i just

ugh

DeeJ’s humour has become even more indecipherable because all his jokes recently are about his beef with another Destiny streamer and it just flies over my head

In case it’s not clear, Destiny is where I escape to avoid having to deal with my failures as a human being, and as such I’m desperate for any flimsy excuse I can find to get back in there. Putting that aside though, I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said in your post, so don’t feel like you’re being a downer!

i mostly agree
i can’t even be that enthused about year 3 fatebringer because uh… i already got one with a different name!!!
but i really like raiding with y’all, so i’m hype for directors cut vog

1 Like

I’m pretty excited to raid with ya’ll again, and I think I identify with what Sakurina and Rye are both saying (but am more and more on the Rye side of thinking re: d3st1ny). Destiny is such a comfortable thing to exist in, and I wish I could have spent more time in it over the past while… but when they announced that characters weren’t carrying over it really affected my desire to keep playing. It caused a total sense of disconnect from this super lush and interesting world (non-lore aside).
I totally bought into the idea of some kind of lineage of experience a la “this exotic weapon will be with you for 10 years,” and ultimately feel pretty let down regarding the Time (capital t) that I’ve put into it, and how that is likely to manifest as an emblem or something. I sound embarrassingly dude-bro entitled, but hope that that comes across more as a sadness to be leaving behind the experiences I had in a vault on an old game rather than carrying them forward as cool symbols of exciting and meaningful times I’ve had with my friends.

D2 is gonna have to do a lot to make me understand why we are leaving that all behind, yeah.

I will definitely be down to raid though.

Do you have a sense of how the community feels about this (obviously proportions are much harder to gauge than Who Speaks Loudest, but)

Like I said upthread, this goes against all received MMO wisdom but increasing player base after three years is also received as MMO impossible, so