Destiny Come On Already

Yeah, believe it or not, destiny was my first bungie game. the culture of halo really put me off from it, and i was not mature enough to recognize the games had merit outside of it. destiny has yet to present me with a compelling campaign scenario. most of the story missions feel a boiler-plate, we-don’t-want-to-add-any-custom-scripting-to-our-level-editor degree of effort. some are okay. i actually liked that one with the heavy pikes from house of wolves, where you fight a tank (again) on it, but hey… we don’t care about our old content, so we’ll edit it out of the daily story rotation so you can play a subset of the new missions for a tenth time (this touches on another of my biggest criticisms with the game). But yeah, there’s an audio track with someone saying stuff while i’m killing these dudes i’ve killed before in this area i’ve been in before. that’s 90% of the story missions in destiny. Granted, this part of the game has gotten better over time (the final story mission of Rise of Iron was the first i felt was really cool).

i know i’m going hard on this game, and it speaks to bungie’s ability as a developer that it’s 30 seconds of fun are good enough to have kept me hooked for so long, but my tolerance is decreasing; the pattern is that i’ll get burnt out on the game, drop it cold, come back months later when there’s some new thing, then get burnt out again, but faster than last time. it’s gotten bad enough that when i turned the game on the other day i was able to get through one (short) story mission (for the record book) before i frowned and turned it off.

what’s mostly kept me playing destiny is you all here.

in summary, games-as-services are the worst thing to happen to the industry.

1 Like

this is the same for me! i haven’t turned my ps4 on since i accidentally got a switch.

Templar challenge is block all teleports
Atheon challenge is that everyone needs to kill exactly one oracle in the oracle phase
New chest on alternate path to Templar
Templar boss encounter instantly wipes you instead of marking you like before, rip the pmod cheese

Knuckles of Eao cause crashes when defeating Templar so don’t use them there

we’ve done Templar without a teleport before, i have a video somewhere!

it should just be a point of putting titans with armour of light bubbles on the two points it can go to first before The Big Damage

what weapons are streamer people using to take down oracles?

dtr sunday

Datto was using Hawkmoon up until he got stuff with Oracle Disruptor, seemed to be pretty effective. Otherwise I imagine people are mostly sticking to whatever primary they were using for PvE in general.

I turned on the game for the first time in a while last night and was immediately presented with a pop-up to pre-purchase destiny 2, which felt a little cheeky. (also the more i look at the box-art damn does it feel dry, reeks of the stock “white dude kills stuff” that they usually reserve for cod packaging, but even less visually interesting.

anyway! vendors actually seem to have rotating stock now, so there are potentially new cool vendor weapons to get every week at 380. I logged in to get a scout rifle that basically had a fate-bringer roll. then i realized this cool scout rifle isn’t coming with me to d2 anyway. they give you tons of legendary marks now, and they give you tons of stuff to spend them on, which is great! this would have been a pretty cool thing for them to do maybe like a year ago. Or maybe even… WHEN THE GAME LAUNCHED, since that “stock resets in X” timer has been present on every vendor since then. now the stock actually resets. nice job guys, i guess?

i also realized, by making elemental primaries exotic, you’re still not going to want to use them in raids because you’ve usually got some other exotic heavy on, or at least giving up that Sword or deejhorn or what have you is bit of a heavier choice. Fair enough.

also the color scheme on fatebringer adept is pretty bad. vision of confluence looks good though.

i saw someone with glowing crota armor that looked pretty juvenile and it hurt my eyes. I look back at the year 1 blue/green armor and ships and the early concept art for the game, and that is still the most visually appetizing stuff to me from the destiny universe. it feels creatively like the bungie that built the foundation for that game and the bungie we have now are pretty different, and which gives me some apprehension about the shape of destiny 2.

i mean, that guy in the d2 poster is holding an omolon auto-rifle. i like omolon stuff, so… cool! but then i wonder: will auto-rifles even be worth using? And I hate that. My favorite gun in destiny has remained unusable for pretty much the past 2 years.

people poop on warframe but the one thing i like about it over destiny is that they’re willing to try weird things with their weapons.

• one gun is a harpoon cannon that impales enemies and drags them to you
  • Another uses a disc-like magazine and has the option to shoot out the disc, which then turns into a temporary turret
  • There’s a shotgun that fires half of it’s volley when you first pull the trigger, and the other when you let go.
  • a flamethrower that you can mod to make enemies explode.

I’d love to see the same kind of playfulness with weapon design from bungie’s side aside from stuff like

• “has better accuracy when in the air”
  • “fires in full auto”, or
  • “has a CHANCE to restore health if you kill an enemy while in low health”

Even now there’s really only a handful of perks that most people look for on Destiny weapons (and even then, most of them are ones that modify the weapons stats to make it more accurate or usable, not things that are actually interesting).

i think the people who like destiny most often like it in spite of itself. the core feel is unmatched, the raids are some of the best stuff to do in video games, and those high points typically make you put up with the rest of the bullshit (see: year 2 sword quests). destiny 2 has a real opportunity to solve some of this stuff, and i hope they’ve made the game a clean slate because they found real solutions to it’s problems, rather than just wanting to wipe the board again in pursuit of “balance” or just because it would make things easier to program.

Well whew! Sorry for the book. Anyway I got to play some story missions with sakurina last night and that was a pretty good time. this is a game meant for friends if anything.

4 Likes

It feels like legendary marks are “relevant” again for the first time in forever, because previously you could just get all the good rolls in the first two weeks and never really have to buy anything from vendors again. Your only real outlets for getting different rolls on weapons were Armsday (with a very limited subset of weapons) or RNG, so it’s nice to see them throw another one in.

(That scout is Angel’s Advocate if anyone is wondering.)

I would love to see them try things similar to what you listed but the programmer in me shudders at the development time that would be necessary to craft entirely one-off weapons that aren’t just environmental fixtures that can be reused in maps (vehicles, turrets, elemental cannons, etc…), have to be earned by players, and ultimately will probably be lost to a gear reset down the line anyway.

True, but I think playing it too conservatively results in a game that feels very dry after a while. It makes sense from a development standpoint, but as I’ve expressed before every new gun just starts to feel like a different configuration of attribute sliders and not a Cool New Toy like it should. I hope the perks at least become a bit more imaginative and desirable.

when ttk dropped i went from using the last word because it’s really cool to using hawksaw because it can… reliably hit things

:frowning:

BTW you should definitely grab the sidearm from FWC this week. That is a straight up God Roll and that thing will kill in the crucible

1 Like

to be fair that is true of all sidearms in the crucible right now, rip special weapons

Yeah but this one especially

i’m not sure if i will ever enter the crucible again in d1

so why is the box art 3 humans

I thought aliens and robots were still cool

and Destiny’s aliens and robots are beautiful

I don’t think I can get over how much I live the internal light of the robots, and I loved being able to play as a cackling Voltron villain

4 Likes

Haven’t watched this yet though I will probably do so late tonight and try to mine it for information, but a new GDC session from someone on the Destiny team went up:

edit: Wait, this is from GDC 2015, not as hype

18 second templar speed run is kinda ridiculous:

I think VoG is coming back next week assuming the rotation always follows the same order? Hopefully we can get that done this time, I need some more of those record book entries. ;_;

edit: I’m dumb Crota was first, not VoG

streamers got invited to capture video when they do the W O R L D R E V E A L later this month.

the packages they got said “welcome to a world without light”

could this mean:

(A) the end of destiny homework, than we can just play the dang raids without an curve function intentionally impairing our damage

(B) Bungie got so tired of hearing people complain about classes and abilities in trials of osiris that they actually did completely remove them from the game

either they’re going to show they’ve learned from the past three-ish years, band-aid patched what they could but focused on making a better, fresh game or just digging a deeper hole of fly-swatting any outliers with a nerf bat. i am v curious to see what their A-team has been cooking.

I think it means a whole new class of weapon drop to upgrade and customize: THE DEATH FLASHLIGHT

1 Like

it’s definitely just flavor text

yeah i remember that i am uncomfortably curious about this reveal every time it comes up

man, we gotta actually raid sometime

From what I’ve heard through the grapevine, D2 is gonna be a lot better from a tech standpoint. Massive overhauls and changes to their creation and maintenance tools, new things that the D1 engine just can’t really do without huge cheats (compare the environmental flavor between Y1 areas and Phobos for an example of the direction they want to move in)

As for “A world without Light”, that’s Light with a capital-L. The tagline was superimposed over a dead Ghost. The implication being that it’s YOUR Ghost. Guardians are being cut off from the Light because of the Cabal attack on the Traveler. Rumor says that D2 will have the same classes (which are deeply and inextricably linked with the lore), but completely different abilities. I hope at least they keep the Warlock jump. I’m so used to it now, I don’t want to give it up.

Anyway I’m really looking forward to D2. Just wish I could get some raids done in D1 before it hits.