Destiny Come On Already

I’m amused that they found an in-universe reason for the gear reset.

2 Likes

i’m down with a little levity and even some whedon jokebarf writing if you insist, but i gotta draw a line somewhere around a crowd of people cheering at in-fiction character yelling about how much loot there’s gonna be

6 Likes

PC version is confirmed, yay player base fragmentation

yeah that moment was kind of a full-stop for me as well

cayde’s goofiness is a little too much. Zavala is fairly one-note with his meat-man platitudes, and Ikora just feels like a different flavor of Zavala who manages to be even less interesting. Eris is another straight-woman, just gloomier. The thing is I feel like all of them could become serviceable characters with small tweaks to presentation and approach, but that requires thoughtful writing and creative vision. the thing is they are always kind of on the brink of doing something interesting but it just falls short. kind of a bummer.

that trailer fell pretty flat for me though. at least they know how to make video games.

also yeah, could they have picked less interesting box art

the art direction of this marketing is restrained to the point of uninteresting

DeeJ kept making “jokes” about “room temperature water” on some reveal stream and that’s what this marketing art direction reminded me of. Room temperature water.

I liked the trailer. I’d rather have this kind of goofing off, especially in absence of anything interesting to show. If it was taking itself too seriously and then Destiny 2 ends up underdelivering storywise, the perception would be way worse if they had been hyping it up so much. I’m imagining they’ve learned their lesson from how Destiny 1 turned out and won’t be repeating the same mistakes, but even if they do, I won’t be too bothered. The true story of Destiny for me is the friends we made along the way.

2 Likes

Do we know anything about the gameplay changes?

Nothing about gameplay is being shown until May 18 apparently.

wouldn’t you like

keep your stuff on your ship

composes furious e-mail to bungie

Funnily enough, someone also reminded us that there are vaults on the Reef, which presumably isn’t also going to be attacked by Cabal

the marketing so far is about as bad as i’d expect from a company that has deej in a public-facing role & i’ve been feeling more and more ambivalent re: the gear reset after thinking about @count_slackula’s post earlier in the thread

but… it’s almost certainly going to feel good and i can’t really resist a cabal raid

I don’t see how this is a problem for PS4 players unless you think the PC version is going to pull away more players than there will be newcomers. The overlap of Destiny player currently with a PS4 who wants to switch to PC has to be small relative to the total population that will be on PS4 Destiny 2, right?

I’ve never played an MMO expansion pack, but judging by TTK and ROI, wouldn’t the alternative be to have blues and greens in the starting area that dwarf your hard-earned raid exotic immediately? They can bring over the good shit and give it to you again, but it’s frankly a selling point to me that I can start from square one and anyone I bring in can as well.

The overall population of the game is irrelevant because it will always be big enough. My concern is that we had enough trouble coming up with 6 players for raids regularly back when everyone was on PS4, and that if players are given the option to defect to PC, it’ll just get harder.

(if anyone in this thread buys the PC version, I will be incandescent with rage)

1 Like

Ah, so you just need to keep your group on one platform. That seems easy enough - just agree with your group to stay put? Ideally they’d let you log in to your character on either (like PS3/PS4) or allow cross-platform PvE.

I just want to do strikes with my brother who doesn’t have a job without buying him a console (and PS+).

I think I want very different things from Destiny than y’all do, I’ll leave it be.

nah @doolittle, don’t take offense! i think the game being on pc will just open up the audience to more people, and i don’t see why that’s a bad thing.

i’ll be around for d2 probably? though tbh they’ve yet to make a reasonable case for the forced gear purge (not that they’ve told us anything about the game) and leaving all our other trophies behind (if emblems were going forward they would have told us by now) feels a bit punishing. if they can manage to solve some of the larger problems with the game (mostly all how the guns just feeling the same, classes and weapons gradually being gutted over-time, content that wears out its welcome quickly). if it’s just a prettier destiny 1 i’m gonna have a much harder time buying in to that.

i think the biggest thing that could hold destiny 2 back is bungie itself. their preoccupation with creating this data-based fairness has really hurt the game. raid weapons are amazing, so let’s get rid of elemental primaries and make the weapons less interesting/powerful. a weapon feels too potent? give it’s entire class a nerf. a subclass ability is too strong? gut the class (or don’t until everyone complains about it). most of the perks are highly situational and not interesting.

I really thought in D1 there’d be more things like the walker tank to fight. Monster Hunter-like experiences with ebb and flow throughout the battle. The raids are mostly great, though leveling so you can play them on even-footing is a boring grind. oh, here’s another record book. go do five story missions.

sorry for all the scattered thoughts, but yeah as i think about this there’s a lot destiny 2 will have to do to get me on board.

3 Likes

I doubt it’ll happen, since PlayStation is continuing to have exclusive content that won’t be on PC or Xbox until way later!

I’ll probably get this on PS4 because my computer is getting quite old and probably couldn’t handle the game on low settings.

This would suck! In Reach they’d give you credit for anything that touched your Bungie.net account. That’d be a real shame.

I think when D1 was first being promoted they had the concept of four playstyles: story, raids, strikes, and patrols. D1 signaled that I wasn’t going to be dedicated enough to raid*. I thought the story and strike components would be more or less like playing Halo campaigns and firefight. My favorite thing in Destiny so far is Prison of Elders because it’s largely what I got out of Reach firefight. It has totally dropped the ball on story for me, and that’s my #1 issue. Outside of the beginning of House of Wolves that was edited out for Year 2, there’s no offensive vehicles. The story missions are just barren compared to Halo, and even unfavorably compare to Borderlands.

I thought patrols would be like Monster Hunter and they are, but only superficially. Hanging out in patrols for the Taken War quests was so boring and rote.

* My worst memories with Bungie games are being screamed at in the fifth hour of trying the ODST highway vidmaster achievement while my hands were swollen with pain from anxiously gripping the controller.

if you like destiny and have never played any of the raids i would seriously recommend checking out at least vault of glass or wrath of the machine

i’m trying to Get The Band Back Together to play the refreshed versions they’re releasing at the moment (though admittedly interest is a bit tepid right now) and you’d be more than welcome to join us!!!
plus we’ve played them far too much already so you’d bypass the ‘hours of figuring out occasionally obtuse mechanics’ that i get the impression would put you off

oh yeah I should reinstall PSN Messages on my phone now that I’m not in Japan anymore because otherwise I’ll forget to reply

1 Like