Destiny Come On Already

i am fuckin hype

man i hope the announcement is more than “we’ll have more to show in the weeks to come as we take this journey together. happy hunting, guardians. love, deej”

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised if it takes us until E3 to get any substantial news though.

???

1 Like

Looks like I was wrong.

that trailer is actually pretty alright

way better than any piece of dialogue in mass effect andromeda at least

Yeah, it’d be unfathomable where I work for anyone to get through a trailer with a tone other than, “EPIC”

Even if I’m alone in sadness that this messages that we’re decidedly past Destiny’s dry narrative tone, it’s still well done

So like, I’m utterly ignorant of this game but that doesn’t seem so hard? A bunch of enemies who can only attack in melee range and are mostly kind enough to just run straight at you as you mow them down, and one big guy whooo kinda just doesn’t pursue you much? I’ve gotta be missing something

i booted this up earlier and the new quest from the speaker that begins ‘do five story missions’ almost killed my enthusiasm straight off but the crota’s end changes and some of the stuff in the new book sounds fun??

Oh, I wasn’t implying that it would be hard, just that it would have been patched.

Crota’s End, of all the raids in Destiny 1, is mechnically the simplest. The main mechanic in the encounter in that video is that the boss can only be damaged with a sword which you obtain by killing a Swordbearer, and once his shield has been sufficiently damaged. Once a damage cycle is complete, the oversoul appears behind Crota and you need to shoot it to avoid a swipe. That’s about it. The problem is that the mechanical simplicity wasn’t exclusive to the final boss encounter, but persists throughout all of the encounters in the raid, or can be cheesed easily. (More info in this video.)

So when Bungie announced that they were going to make more substantial changes to Crota’s End when reviving the raid at modern light levels, I immediately thought they’d patch in some sort of hard block to prevent people from being able to solo the whole thing.

I don’t think Bungie is necessarily against the idea of solo raids when it’s an impressive display of mechanical skill like the Oryx or Aksis encounters, but I don’t think they’re happy when solo runs trivialize an entire raid, because then it proves that the whole thing wasn’t that well designed to begin with.

remember how like crota came out like a month after vog

and then there wasn’t another new raid till like a year later

year 1 baby

1 Like

they fucked with the chests in vog

1 Like

uh

wow

That plays like they made a terrible ‘epic’ trailer and spent the next week making fun of it

Hmmm, RIP any non-empty meaning in the world? Or, Activision sez, this is the only way you’re gonna pay what you owe

You know the flip-the-tables Destiny rewrite the year before launch happened because the Powers That Be at Bungie felt it wasn’t mysterious and Bungie enough

Maybe the funsters have totally won out

1 Like

the box art is really bad

1 Like

I was hoping to see what the actual game would look like, but I should have known better.

1 Like

Team Funster here! I’m excited to play with my brother (Team Mysterious) who doesn’t own and won’t buy a console.

Yeah, it’s maybe the right decision

I was very skeptical before Destiny launched that their po-faced mythology would survive in front of players actually playing the game and talking to each other. I figured they’d learn the lesson Gearbox did making Borderlands – players will turn everything silly, so it doesn’t hurt to accommodate them.

I was wrong! At least with my preferences, the stately lore and backgrounds provided a lovely world I could dip in and out of, alternating between believing in it (while soloing, at times) and ignoring it with friends. Destiny is a lot more comfortable to return to because I’m always seeing new things in the art and the lore remains suggestive enough in its snippets to continue to be interesting (no one is better at storytelling through naming than Bungie, and they’ve never been better at it than in Destiny. Cosmic space horror and majesty can only be suggested at, after all; Halo lore was best in the manual before the game ever started, etc.)

So I think it’s a mistake to give players the talky, chatty, jokey content because I think they supply it themselves and besides one shouldn’t listen to reviewers playing games in 8-hour shifts at their desks because god nobody plays games like that with the greatest sensitivity to irritation

1 Like

I hate Borderlands 2 as much as the next guy but there’s room for them to have campy characters among the po-faced serious ones.

My favorite character so far is Variks because he’s weird and memorable. Halo wasn’t nearly as committed to being stoic and I think a little levity (not delivered by the Ghost) goes a long way.

But I don’t really like vanilla Destiny at all and only like the stories of House of Wolves and Taken King.

I’m encouraged by destroying the Tower because it’s always boring and full of boring NPCs. Give me a shady outpost on Io.

2 Likes

Yeah, Variks is great

I think they walk a fine line with jokiness; Cayde is ok in small doses but because the rest of the game is like a charisma black hole he ends up taken an outsized role; reading/hearing about him pulling pranks on Eris Morn pulls this in a comic-booky direction and makes the world smaller. It puts a few hero characters at the center of everything which diminishes the role of the players (a key reason vanilla Destiny stood so far back, I think) and just rubs my anti-great-man history sense wrong

1 Like