#CYBERPUNK 2077 šŸ’»

Cayce in Pattern Recognition was written as completely steeped in but physically sickened by consumerism. I think she works as a metaphor for a lot of people I know.

1 Like

I totally love the aesthetics and manufactured goods fetishization aspects of the writing style. I appreciate the idea that the material reality of a place and its people are in a feedback loop with the story and culture unfolding around you. I donā€™t like it called ā€œconsumerismā€ though that is part of it. Personally I obsess all over wear patterns on objects in public spaces so hearing about wear in a Gibson novel is kind of comforting.

Im an obsessive repair person but mainly because I need an excuse to take everything apart and feel like Im beating the system. Clothes are an extension of that though I havenā€™t ever been able to get good at sewing.

Do we even have a fashion thread?

2 Likes

the only true cyberpunk option

1 Like

yes

itā€™s cool, because literally all of the bullshit will be a footnote in every eventual review of the game, as if a bunch of racism and transphobia both on and off screen is no different than a framerate hiccup, and gog will do another shitty tweet like ā€œactually, itā€™s about ethics in good game discounts,ā€ and weā€™ll deal with another solid year of harassment, shitty right winger articles and monetized youtube videos acting as though weā€™re literally on a crusade to end video games forever and how weā€™re the real snowflakes, and one or more games writers will call anyone taking cdpr to task for this shit ā€œtediousā€ like they did when all the rockstar shit was coming out, and itā€™ll still end up at #6 or #7 on a bunch of giant bomb goty lists and :weary: :weary: :weary: :weary: :weary:

14 Likes

A crusade to end videogames forever would be immensely cyberpunk

6 Likes

end videogames forever

4 Likes

this entire ordeal is going to be more cyberpunk than the game so im excited to give a swirlie to the first moron who writes about how ā€œmetaā€ cdpr being terrible is

4 Likes

cayce having a literal, physical aversion to consumerism and marketing is the most william gibson shit in the world and i love it so much. as an adult i honestly like pattern recognition more than neuromancer. its certainly more relevant

1 Like

We were robbed of that Peter Weir adaptation.

They should get Assayas.

2 Likes

Whoa, Peter Weir was supposed to do Pattern Recognition!?

Iā€™m not usually one to clamor for book to film adaptations, but I would have loved to have seen whatever Earl Mac Rauch had planned for Neuromancer in the late 80s. I would have been all in on a weird Buckaroo Banzai-style comedy adaption.

1 Like

At least we got Johhny Mnemonicā€¦?

(bringing this back to Keanu)

And Iā€™m just going to throw out that I like William Gibson. Heā€™s a good writer and Iā€™m not about to criticize someone I donā€™t know, who isnā€™t overtly political, for what I perceive as their politics. Life and people are more complicated than that.

(I donā€™t have a problem with critique of his work)

5 Likes

Oh, if you follow his twitter you find out that he IS overtly political

2 Likes

william gibson is very open about being a whiny hillaryman

1 Like

Oh, I just read some of his booksā€¦

There are probably conclusions that can be drawn from a personā€™s social media posts, but even then I hesitate. But still, point taken.

4 Likes

most of his writing is fine, honestly. trump being elected really broke his brain; hes writing a book about an alternate 2017 where hillary clinton won now. its very embarrassing and he should log off. maybe go outside a little

4 Likes

tbh I wish we had a better word than ā€œneoliberalā€ for this (I am very grateful whenever virgil on chapo interjects to clarify that its effective meaning is ā€œwhatever you donā€™t likeā€) because thereā€™s a difference between being a broken third way apologist crank like gibson or whedon (70 is kind of old for this, mind; itā€™s extremely common among people who were born in the 60s) and being like an actual corporatist and I feel like the nuance is lost when itā€™s the same word we use to describe political missteps in the wolfenstein franchise

1 Like

i mean regardless of what he believes in practice hes supporting neoliberal policies which is why i used it. i agree its largely meaningless now even though the posting-as-warfare pundit class would have you believe its a slur. wolfenstein is just typical centrist liberal bullshit, stop misusing words you gamer swine!!

1 Like

I mean of course there is a difference, but as long as Maoists and anarcho-syndicalists are both ā€œleftā€, which I think is not incoherent, then yeah both William Gibson and the CEO of Monsanto are neoliberal

well see the thing is

2 Likes