Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Sequential Art, & you

Circus of Dr Lao is such a good source material for prompting new fantasy stories, even taking into account the orientalism of the original work, there’s so much fantastic mixed into the bad.

1 Like

yeah getting a real good like Davies-era who vibe off of it

it’s wild to me how marginal this show is, it’s a spinoff of another show that’s only had one season and is exclusive to the DC streaming service (???)

that Rachel Talalay directed an episode strongly suggests that this is just where the production people who I actually like are finding work these days and I’m glad I’m managing to find them but it’s still so strange to me that something as relatively expensive and good (an already rare intersection) as this could be basically buried like that.

Anyway this is easily my favourite superhero/CW/scifi media of the year

also funny to me that it has a much better version of the cyborg character than the Ben Affleck batman movie from like a year and a half ago

and that he just has a mega buster

and this is easily Brendan Fraser’s best role… ever?

Bold of you to erase the cultural importance of George of the Jungle

3 Likes

4 Likes

presented without irony

3 Likes

Taken to reading Vagabond and reading Musashi concurrently just to see how they drift
They drift quite a lot!

1 Like

I just read When I Arrived at the Castle…like, three times back to back. It’s a lesbian gothic-/body-horror fairytale by the artist who worked on The Yawhg and absolutely the best comic about sex with nonhuman women I’ve read in the past month. It’s sexy and gross and cool and stylish and a $10 paperback.

1 Like

Heads up, and I forgot to mention this earlier, but the Silver Surfer: Black mini deals with Knull as well and so is the recent new series Absolute Carnage, which has the same artist as this arc.

2 Likes

THE LEGEND OF LUTHER ARKWRIGHT – a milestone in British comics history

To be published by Jonathan Cape in the U.K. and Dark Horse Books in the U.S.A., author/artist Bryan Talbot has completed the script for the third Luther Arkwright book and started drawing it. It is scheduled to be published in 2022.

The first, The Adventures of Luther Arkwright , is considered by many to be the first British graphic novel. First serialised in the adult SF comic Near Myths from October 1978, the same month that A Contract with God by Will Eisner, considered to be the first U.S. graphic novel, was published. The first collected volume appeared in 1982.

Praised by many writers and artists, such as Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Jean Giroud (Moebius), Michael Moorcock and Iain Banks, the ground-breaking, experimental adult SF story was a seminal work and inspired and influenced many comic creators including Garth Ennis, Rick Veitch and Warren Ellis, winning four Eagle Awards and the Society of Strip Illustration Award for Best Graphic Novel. The subject of role-playing games and a 3-hour audio drama in 2004, featuring David Tennant as Luther Arkwright, it is frequently cited as an all-time favourite graphic novel by its readers. The second Arkwright graphic novel, Heart Of Empire , was published in 2001. Both books have been in continual print since they were first published.

Like the first two books, The Legend of Luther Arkwright , to be released nearly 20 years after the last one, contains a strong anti-fascist theme. The first book, appearing against the background of the rise of the British extreme right, with the coming-to-power of the Thatcher Government and the National Front marching on the streets, was a forerunner of V for Vendetta . At the time, Talbot was doing voluntary illustrative work for his local Anti-Nazi League Group. Now, with the extreme right on the rise again, all over the world, the timing of the book is especially pertinent.

Heart of Empire was not just a repetition of The Adventures of Luther Arkwright , but a different kind of adventure, told in a different style. The Legend of Luther Arkwright , another stand-alone story, continues this tradition, while still maintaining continuity with the Arkwright mythos.

The Legend of Luther Arkwrigh t, a 220-page hardback black and white graphic novel, is set 51 years after the events of Heart of Empire and takes place on several very different parallel worlds, though Arkwright, being a homo novus , looks not a day older.

Thought I’d try the Naruto guy’s new space samurai thing and it’s Moebius or at least Brandon Graham with the crusts cut off
Anyway

Frank Miller and Rafael Grampá are collabing on a new Dark Knight Returns one-shot focusing on Carrie Kelly as Batwoman.

I really don’t know how to feel about this

Miller hasn’t written something even close to a good comic in like, twenty years.

So I’m guessing It’s gonna be bad.

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

I read Crawl Space by Jesse Jacobs the other day. It’s one of those stories about a portal to a strange world, and I always like that sort of thing.

I also liked his Safari Honeymoon from a few years earlier.

On the topic of strange worlds, is Prophet ever going to get a nice hardcover omnibus?

2 Likes

1 Like

is this the timeline where we have reached and moved well past peak marvel and now live in a post collapse society more strange and terrifying than any could have imagined - a world sparse and unforgiving but fringed with promise, beauty- optimism and even aspiration around every corner?

I enjoy the skull inside the ‘o’ to remind everyone that the punisher is the skull guy (also he aways has a gun in case you forgot, just like in the picture)

Ennis hasn’t lost his touch.

First issue goes hard.