Catching Up with PS4

those both look like they have to compete a little too directly (and probably unfavourably) with smash, whereas abyss felt like it was doing its own thing purely because it didn’t position itself as a primarily competitive game and because ACE has great visual designers

I… think that’s what I’m saying. It has a hook that those two multiplayer versus Smash take-offs don’t, but for the same reason, they compare better to the source material since they’re focused only on the versus aspect. Which is why you would get them if you just want Smash on a platform not graced by Nintendo.

right! Sorry. I think I want something that doesn’t compare as well to the source material.

It’s, like, fine. Flower and Journey are both way, way better, because they 1) are more visually appealing and 2) have climaxes. Flow never ends, you just kind of max yourself out and then… that’s it.

I will probably be getting my PS4 next week, despite the possibility that I could save money by waiting for the PS4.5 announcement. It’s too bad that none of the pack-in game options look interesting.

One game I’m ambivalent about is the PS4 Ratchet and Clank. I liked some of the older games as long as I skipped cutscenes and tried to forget that the characters sometimes spoke. The new one looks attractive and might be fun, but since it coincides with a movie I’m afraid that the character personalities might be even more prominent.

I’d kind of ignored PS4 until very recently, which I guess is why I’d never heard of No Man’s Sky. It’s nice to know that there are a bunch of good existing and upcoming games other than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

A Boy and His Blob remake is now a very cheap PS4 download. I don’t know that I’d play it again, but I still have positive memories of it despite a few unfortunate design decisions.

I agree.

Why you would play R&C and hate the characters baffles me.

Creative world design and fun mechanics. It’s not the only game I’ve enjoyed despite characters I can barely tolerate. Other examples include Okami and Disgaea.

1 Like

Here are some pretty nice PS4 games not previously mentioned here:

• Roundabout
  • Strider
  • EDF 4.1
  • Salt and Sanctuary (It has its own thread)
  • Nidhogg (only if you get Towerfall Ascension and need one other game to go with it)
2 Likes

Apparently, the PS4 has a built-in screenshot function. And although it is designed for Twitter or Facebook, I understand that there is a way to extract and save the uncompressed images. I hope this is true, and that they don’t have obnoxious watermarks.

Watermarks are implemented on a game by game basis. A good rule of thumb is if it’s a JRPG, it has watermarks, and if it’s not, it won’t.

There’s an option to save uncompressed pngs and you can transfer them to a flash drive. Watermarks are still untoggable.

Jak & Daxter is sort of tolerable (largely a collectathon with mediocre traversal and middling platforming), but only when Daxter is not speaking, or you’re not sitting through yet another unskippable cutscene involving a random NPC yammering on about another goddamn power cell. What the actual fuck, Naughty Dog.

yeah J&D is pleasant but Daxter is fucking annoying. He is much more fun in Jak 2. But Jak 2 rules especially in the original PS2 version which you can play in Korean, Japanese, European5.

2 Likes

Oh my God, what does Korean Jaxter sound like??

It’s like you never watched FFDog Jak 2.

I loved Jak and Daxter back when. I wonder if they’d hold up for me now though.

I played jak 2 for the first time since 2003 like three or four years ago. I can’t say that it 100% held up. a little too loose and punishing. but the vehicles still feel better than PS2-era GTA and the visuals are real solid and some of the level design is very good.

and jason rubin-era naughty dog has basically nothing to do with neil druckmann-era naughty dog other than the technical polish.

1 Like

Ratchet & Clank(2016) is a very fun game with a very annoying script.

Most of my PS4 time so far has been spent with Dark Souls 3. But I have also played through a couple of shorter games:

Layers of Fear
The story doesn’t do anything particularly interesting, but I enjoyed this game and would recommend it. Occasionally unsettling but a little too gimmicky to be truly scary, it’s fun to see what odd effect they are going to throw at you next. Some of it’s generic and repetitive, but it also gets creative with some nice visual design. I was reminded of The Stanley Parable in places.

Ratchet and Clank
Well, the story parts can’t be skipped this time (as far as I can tell), but it’s a fun and very nice-looking game. I probably didn’t really need to play another Ratchet and Clank game, but if they give the second and third titles similar treatments I will most likely get them as well. (At one point, a character says something to the effect of “See you next remake.”)

Next on my list is Bloodborne. I will probably start that game tonight or tomorrow. I also picked up very cheap copies of Alien: Isolation and Until Dawn. I’m also going to have to try The Witness after I get through a few of these other games.

Also, I just read that The Last Guardian is apparently coming out this year. I’ve heard that one before, but it would be nice if it really happened this time.

My PS4 came with Codblops 3, which might just remain in shrink-wrap forever. Or I might try it out one day out of curiosity, since the series seems to be somewhat well-regarded even at SB.

I really like the PS4’s screenshot feature. It’s kind of a wish come true for me to have something like that on a console.

1 Like

Black Ops 3, in aggregate, is the same bullshit as the last 5 or so CODs. However, Black Ops 2’s TranZit & Black Ops 3’s Shadows of Evil are exceptionally good. 3’s zombie mode is the most refined and interesting of the series. It’s kind of sad that this mode is tied to an otherwise meh game, because it’s really an amazing amount of fun, particularly with a local co-op partner. Please do give it a try!

1 Like