bye-bye, all of EVANGELION

Seriously. Building the pink one was so much fun. Must have more.

Ah fript just realized this is going to be only in Japanese and probably no J-subs even on J-Prime.

Well I guess I’ve watched 2.22 in a theater and 3.33 raw and more or less got the plot and that was way before my current Japanese level.

But now I’ll just get sleeepyyy.

1 Like

rewatched 3.33, it gets better every time. a movie with an absolutely miserable outlook on everything that came before, but is able to acknowledge that and maybe move past it.

3 Likes

It sounds like they’re going to release all four rebuilds on Amazon streaming on the same day, but if you want to legally catch up before the final film comes out…

Good year to be in the scalper profession

I have all of the BDs but threw away the boxes lol

is it going up the same TIME around the world? otherwise i can just watch it as soon as its midnight here right

Looks like it’s rolling by geo, so ANZ already has it but I tried a VPN to get on ANZ and Amazon won’t let my account watch it. I’m guessing midnight PT or ET for the US.

1 Like

It is, you know, :pirate_flag:

i grabbed a torrent earlier today, just finished watching it.
i like it more than the first two rebuilds, but nowhere near as much as 3.33. i do not like modern gainax animation or art very much at all, it just really kills almost all of the big moments in this movie, even if i like what it’s doing with writing and editing.

Good to see “four-eyed crony” made it in, great job on the localization y’all

The old ADV dub cast is back, btw, if anyone’s ride or die for Tiffany Grant.

1 Like

I know this is time-skip eyepatch Asuka but the camera is still fucking gross to her. Pairing her with the kid who sold creepshots of her in the original series is also gross. 3.33 did better by her.

just some rough initial impressions right after watching:

obviously author-analysis readings are superficial and there are several major creative forces behind the rebuilds but it feels unavoidable in this case. 3 was probably the best feature length animated movie of the 21st century (for whatever that’s worth) and this is its equal imo. while 3 redeems anno’s cold, mercenary apathy towards the project which makes 2 virtually unwatchable by transmuting it into a willfully exhausted, purposefully incoherent mess of hopeless amv fujoshi food, 4 finds a kind of peace and fulfillment in the pleasures of virtuoso sakuga and extreme visual invention paired with a relatively “low stakes” emotional ordinariness. in that sense the galaxy brain cgi guitar solos are not just among the most brilliant and significant accomplishments in the history of the medium, but also the most moving elements of the film in the context of the work it completes. it’s clear that anno doesn’t care about the beaten to death dramatic archetypes and lore of classic eva anymore, but while the first two rebuilds were transparent business maneuvers to gain financial independence from gainax (though seismically consequential for the medium from a technical perspective), this is the first that feels mostly autonomous or at least amiable about its baggage despite its narrative obligations. it feels like it wants to exist, even if it took a while to get there. on a textual level it can definitely be read as an underwhelming, halfhearted copout or an easy embrace of naturalized normie het adulthood (it’s definitely ambivalent about it but it still makes me nauseous just like every other entry in the series does), but it also evinces a kind of maturity in its willingness to step away and stop indulging the trip for good. and it’s most compelling as a movie about learning to chill out and find meaning in making some of the absolute coolest shit i’ve ever seen in my entire life.

4 Likes

Reading the one-paragraph plot summary of Rebuild 2 on Amazon already made me mad at it. As it seems most people agree it’s the worst, I think I’ll skip right over that one and watch 3 and 4.

If some parts of the later films make less sense as a result, well I don’t imagine “this all totally makes sense” is suddenly the intended experience here

1 Like

Having just watched them both, there is still a lot in 3.33 to feel befuddled by, for better or worse.

My experience was kind of negative with it because I felt like primed to understand this what-if AU scenario by apprehending everything it is not, like how it is not EoE or that this is not how things were supposed to happen, but that kind of thinking is almost distracting. I wonder if I would have liked it if I tried to understand it less and if I didn’t feel so primed to try to understand it comparatively. But then, to be honest, except for the dazzling action and animation nothing about it really reached out to me emotionally like the show, except maybe the coldness of everything seeming unfamiliar. I hope I like 3.0+1.0 more than these last two.

3 Likes

I STARTED IT OMG ITS TWO AND A HALF FUCKING HOURS I CANT WAIT TO BE VERY DISAPPOINTED AT CHEAP LOOKING ROBOT FIGHTS AND TRAD VALUES FOR SO LONG

too many people watching now its buffering wah

3 Likes

Now that I have two seconds I will say I saw 2.22 in Ikebukuro Sunshine City with 90% couples and while the finer points of the story were lost on me the grotesque violence was not. I treasure leaving the theater in a state of shock surrounded by couples also considering how strange the date they were on was going. Lots of long stares.

3 Likes

lololol did people get really pissed at how gay 3 was because this was the most trad shit ever. 2/3 of the robot fights are ruined by covid but they sure took every chance in the world to lovingly animate tits and ass. they literally didnt waste ANY OPPORUNITY to do a fanshot. there were so many pregnant women (even the cat) that i thought there was gonna be some subplot about like artiifical impregnation of reis or some shit because HOLY GOD THERE WERE A LOT OF PREGNANT WOMEN. EVEN THE CAT!!! there was a really fucking disgustingly expensive expensive EXPENIVE shot of asuka with her clothes ripped up on the beach and her skin bulging through and wanted to be sick. especially after she rages about her 14 year old body! there was a lot of ‘remember when we did this in the first three movies?’ but so out of touch. a bunch of the ‘handdrawn’ stuff looked like the street fighter four previews. it was exactly what i expected!

20210729_131535

they dont play the good song til the credits. GOD SO MUCH OF THIS SOUNDTRACK SOUNDED LIKE STOCK PHOTOS

when the evas were taking off of aircraft carries though i thought of rudie! OH THERE WAS ONE GOOD ROBOT FIGHT FOR FIVE SECODNS WHEN THEY KEPT GOING INSIDE THE CLASSROOM right after the straight title robot anime opening. that was good

it was beautifully storyboarded and there were details everywhere and words on things i could read but hardly any movement with characters. every time they flashed back to a shot from a different movie it was like a breath of fresh air.

4 Likes

hideki anno’s latest exploration of women and their various crevices was not nearly as good as the first or maybe third inuyasha movie. i thought it was based when the film promoted traditional values like getting pumped full of cum and working in a field, and furthermore, it was epic when they showed asukas boobies time and time again!

3 Likes

there is so much pussy in the movie and reading people’s response to it makes me feel like a crazy person. end of evangelion is so fucking good and 4.0 is like what if you took everything cool and interesting and weird and depressing about end of eva and turned it into unearned catharsis. none of these characters should have a resolution! instead we are left with a feel-good trad anime about the virtues of being pregnant, loving your boyfriend, and idyllic country life.

“all [evangelion fans] just want to be patted on the head.” so we’ll have some sentimentality in here to tug at the heartstrings. it’ll be alright. you’ll feel nice afterwards, like the closure these characters got is the closure YOU wanted.

they don’t deserve closure. this is not nirvana.

5 Likes