bye-bye, all of EVANGELION

we are gathered here this week to witness the last chapter of hideaki anno’s quest to stop people shipping kaworu x shinji (i will not stop)

3 Likes

I gotta watch these rebuilds, QUICK!

Definitely space them out a bit if you can - 1 and 2 in the same evening is fine but it’s a miserable marathon to squeeze 3 in

4 Likes

im gonna lol at the trad conclusion with bad animation on streaming services this friday for sure

oh i really enjoyed watching all three rebuilds at once but i like watching things for painfully long amounts of time

2 Likes

Evangelion should end with the camera zooming out from a TV screen showing the credits to Evangelion, and Ken Kubo from Otaku no Video asking some suits, “So, what do you think?”

“What was he doing over that comatose girl’s body? She’s like, 14, right?”

Gainax Presents
OTAKU no VIDEO 2022

4 Likes

If someone has gone 20 years without watching this, what’s the best way to do that?

1 Like

Original series, End of Evangelion movie, then rebuilds in order. Rebuilds assume familiarity with original.

3 Likes

Well 2.22 was everything I love about Evangelion and then 3.0 sorta tripled-down on all the stuff I didn’t like as much so there’s a real 50/50 chance this last one’s gonna hit for me WE’LL SEE

1 Like

They are all on Netflix at the moment too.

1 Like

I liked 3.33/Q (oh fuck I get it now!!!) a lot when I watched it again earlier this year. Highlights:

• asuka breaking glass
  • piano duet
  • kaworu
  • necklaces
  • mgs2 derealization vibes
3 Likes

Ok cool. I wasn’t sure if the movies were remakes of the series or what. I am anime illiterate, but I think that’s a thing they do sometimes?

1 Like

They are only remakes in the “Final Fantasy VII Remake” sense

6 Likes

Haha ok! That makes perfect sense!

Did I ever mention in the 90s I got my hands on End of Evangelion on a fansub VHS before the TV series and just started watching it cold turkey with no context

My reaction was mostly just like “hmmm I don’t get it” and I turned it off a third of the way through

9 Likes

I may have watched a .rm file of the third impact when I was like 9

6 Likes

I told myself I was going to rewatch rebuild 2 and 3 before this monstrosity came out (1 is just a movified version of the first six episodes of the show, I’ve seen some version of that a million times), but I just can’t do it. I don’t remember a single thing about them other than them being fucking terrible. I remember 3 being gorgeous and having a lot of the color red.

3 Likes

Like Kingdom Hearts, my enjoyment of Rebuild of Evangelion hinges on liking Utada Hikaru and silver-haired boys enough to put up with some bullshit

3 Likes

is this theaters only or will it be streaming somewhere, as well?

i like half of 2.0 and all of 3.0, so i’m down for the finale

it’s gonna be on amazon

2 Likes

if you wanna be fancy, EoE is in two parts: “episodes” 25’ and 26’, so you could intersplice them with the series (25 → 25’ → 26 → 26’) for arguably better continuity

i just remember it being weird watching one supposed ending then being slapped in the face with all the extreme in-the-midst-of-it drama again

1 Like