But Thou Must (share pictures from Dragon Quest Builders) (Now the general DQ Builders thread)

I really like this game. I enjoy slowly chipping away at building, exploring, or questing without feeling any urgency. I don’t care if I ever finish chapter 1; I’ve been building apartments for my villagers instead of progressing the story.

That tower on the left is called Cantlin Court.

There’s a lobby on the ground floor.

Next to the lobby is the dressing room/armoury that the villagers requested.

Stairs lead up to the 2nd floor where Larouche and Rollo have rooms.

Larouche’s room.

Rollo’s room.

The 2nd floor hall leads out to the city wall but also up to the 3rd floor.

Sheridon’s room and my room are on the 3rd floor.

Sheridon’s room.

My room is narrow but has a great view.

My room also has a ladder which leads up to this rooftop garden.

This is the interior of a safe house I built out in the wild. The game recognises that damp pile of firewood as a lightsource and let’s me sleep in this room while half submerged in water.

11 Likes

Next door to Cantlin Court is Cantlin Villa.

Cantlin Villa has a spiral staircase that takes up a lot of real estate, so each floor has only one residence and a unique layout to offset the staircase’s footprint.

(These stairs out front lead down to a basement treasury.)

The ground floor lobby.

The 1st floor hallway opens out to a small patio.

Cherie’s room is also on the 1st floor. (Why do the private room signs need to be gendered?)

The 2nd floor hallway leads only to a vacant residence; there is no patio on this floor.

The 3rd floor hallway opens out to another patio.

The 3rd floor residence is the most spacious home in town but is also vacant.

5 Likes

That’s a sweet apartment building! I haven’t played it in a few days but I’ve started building a recreation of the castle in Aliahan, the starting town in Dragon Quest 3, using this image for reference. It’s a little slow going at the moment because one tile in DQ3 does not equate precisely to one block in DQ Builders so I’m kind of having to fudge the layout here and there (particularly around the towers at the rear of the castle) and otherwise just make it look as correct as I think it should look.

I don’t have any pictures yet but I made a large square island to put it on and I have the doorway and some surrounding wall with candelabras and a wooden/brick bridge jutting out over the water in front. If the castle works out then the rest of my goal will be to try and recreate Aliahan itself.

1 Like

Thanks!

I accidentally flooded my basement treasure house while trying to build a pond. Cleanup involved walling in the door, breaking up the contents of the room, filling the water in with earth, hollowing the room back out, and replacing the door and room contents. Then I managed to flood it again and had to repeat the process all over.

5 Likes

View of my Cantlin by night.

5 Likes

View of my Cantlin in the fog.

4 Likes

Well, I finished chapter 1. I blocked most of the bosses attacks, which resulted in minimal damage to my town wall. But the boss managed to leap through one of my apartment towers and destroyed two storeys-worth of dwellings.

You can see the missing chunk of building in the distance.

The demolition up close.

This game has pleasant blue skies now that the darkness has lifted. Very nice.

2 Likes

My dream is that the people of Rimuldar might one day all live above the blighted earth.

9 Likes

I just started this.

1 Like

Welp, it’s almost exactly a year later and I’m back on my bullshit. DQ Builders 2 getting a release date pulled me back into this game.

I started chapter 1 over again and just went fucking hog wild on this castle.

I leveled all of the existing structures, built it up to the level of the flag (that’s the stone foundation beneath the walls) and just started…making walls. I forgot to get a top view of the thing though, dang it.

I put my portals outside because I figured that if something got through, I’d rather have it outside the castle than inside. (I know this doesn’t happen, just…hear me out)

Opening the main doors:

What a nice entrance hallway! You can see the centerpiece of this is the garden, in which the flag sits nicely near a tree. Let’s get a better look:

Get off my fucking flowers Larouche.

Anyway, if we turn right from the entrance, we go to the blacksmith’s lair:

I thought I would eventually get bars, but I put a little vent over the furnace so the toxic fumes wouldn’t build up. Spoiler: Chapter 1 has no bars. Chapter 1 has very little of anything useful it turns out.

Continuing down the same hallway, we come to the stair room:

Not much to say here, except the NPCs could never figure out how to go up OR downstairs. I don’t know if that’s because each floor was 4 blocks tall and that fucked up their pathfinding or…what.

Continuing down the hallway, we come to the treasury.

You can also see the back door in that shot. I installed that in the West wall in the vain hope that my NPCs would join me in battle, but mostly they just ran into the walls like absolute fucking idiots. I got them to come out maybe once.

Finally, at the end of the hall and to the left is the kitchen

Larouche is pictured here cooking something awful, probably, and thinking about fighting. Typical.

The kitchen links to the hall on the left - you can navigate the whole first floor in a big circle, and the garden also links to the main hall and the two side halls. The kitchen has windows looking into the garden as well, just to give it a little more natural light.

Let’s go back to the main hall and we’ll investigate the other side hall:

Sooo this is just like, the stonemason room. I don’t know why I made two rooms that built furniture, but I did, so live with it.

Further down the hall is Pippa’s room:

It’s pretty barebones but she’s the only person with her own room other than me. I tried to get her to live upstairs with me but she would never go up. So I guess she sleeps down here by herself.

Moving along

Both of the doors on the left lead to the communal living space, i.e. the boys dormitory (plus Cherie, sorry girl.) It’s got a dresser and chests for everyone, seems like they got along just fine.

Finally, the door at the end of the hallway leads to:

The armoury! Not much to say here except that it should probably not have big windows? for people getting dressed? But they’re not pictured so whatever.

Alright let’s briefly go downstairs:

We don’t talk about the basement much.

Let’s go upstairs!

I used barriers as fences - you can also see a gate here that leads to a ladder down to the garden. It’s nice and open. This is also where my personal room and the throne room are.

This is actually an en-suite bedroom. I didn’t mean to make that but…yeah here it is.

The purple headboard was there from before I found that very nice bed, so I had built my own from purple blocks and straw beds. There it remains because it rules.

Alright let’s go to the throne room baby

Fit for a queen like myself. Here’s the view from the throne:

Admittedly kind of crap but, oh well.

Alright, let’s head all the way to the top for a brief tour of the, uh, battlements or something

Ahh, sunset. The throne room is 8 blocks high, which is why the last picture is EVEN HIGHER. It’s good to be queen.

Alright, so that’s the grand tour. I fought the golem after this, and it went really well. Wanna see the end results? Okay.

Y’know, there’s something really pleasing about seeing a structure that took me a week to build half in ruin. It might help that I saved this on a separate file though. No way I’m rebuilding this, christ.

(sorry felix for making your AWS bill explode)

Anyway, that’s all for Cantlin. Not sure I’ll continue but it was good fun to revisit this and try to build what I could from what is provided in the first chapter. Here are some fun facts:

• I destroyed three of the four towers in the old Cantlin castle to get all those walls since you can’t make them.
  • I also took every single crenelation block from the castle to get those at the top. When I was done I had 11 left. You can’t make them so…I’m glad I didn’t need more.
  • Other things I had to scavenge: My bed, the big eagle crest outside the treasury, all the purple floors, the banners, the iron cell doors, the iron manacles
  • Things my villagers built for me so I didn’t have to: The stone windows (actually I forgot to use these), all the plant pots, most of the doors, the clover stone thing, the fireplace, some stone walls
  • things I could only get from monsters: my bathtub, all the flowers, the grass seed, and the Hammer Hood doll materials.
7 Likes

That’s why my

fell apart.

1 Like

Some day I’m going to finish this game. I completely fell off of it in the interminable beefy lad desert chapter. Every 4 months I go in and play another hour of it, but it just never ends.

It was like the most fun game ever for the first 2 chapters and then dropped off REAL fast.

I do remember the third chapter being a dang slog. The fourth chapter adds some interesting twists IIRC though

I might’ve chosen to bail during the third chapter but a friend told me it was worth it to hang in there for chapter four and damn, was he ever right. Chapter three feels like a stagnation. Chapter four opens the game up in new ways.

1 Like

The third chapter is where I completely dropped the game and I never picked it back up. It’s been like 2 years

It was also super depressing to go into the “creative” mode and realize you can’t do shit without unlocking it first!! So I just lost interest in the game.

i find it so funny they just called it “the modernist pack”

can’t wait for:

• neoclassical pack
  • art-deco pack
  • metabolist pack
  • constructivist pack
  • brutalist pack

and so on

3 Likes

CIAM is now part of the Dragon Quest canon

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone

6 Likes

I have put way too many hours into this game now so I guess I should show some of the things I have been building:

An early shot of my farm on the first island:

Picnic area with swing set:

Castle which took too goddang long to put all that roof tiling on:

Gosh darn cows will get into everything and sleep everywhere

Here’s my petting zoo / barn and crops on my main island:

Aerial shot of my rustic little village:

Restaurant, with the barn / petting zoo in the background:

They sure love to drink in this town

Art Gallery with strategic placement of drapery above open flame:

Dancing stage which I don’t believe has ever been used by anyone:

And finally, I had a few big ideas I wanted to work on and for a start I figured I’d pick what seemed like the easiest choice, recreating my office building. Turned out to be a lot more work than I expected, and mostly looks like a big ugly brown box:

I haven’t quite finished all the details, and I have left the middle floors as empty voids, but I have mostly completed the top floor where I work. It’s a bit too cramped in there to take good pics, but I turned my boss’s room into a massage parlour and my room into a playroom (since its full of rowdy youngsters). There’s a few safes on our floor since the building used to be some kind of treasury office, so I converted those into prison cells (we usually joke about locking interns in there)

Probably gonna take a break from this game for a while, but I might try to finish it off at some point and build some of the other more interesting things I had planned

10 Likes