But Thou Must (share pictures from Dragon Quest Builders) (Now the general DQ Builders thread)

There’s a sequel on the way. I wonder how it’ll differ. This is a weird game to release a sequel for! If it’s just more of the same, then I don’t see much reason for anyone who owns the original to pick it up. Really I think I’d just want them to improve the combat, because this game’s combat is godawful.

1 Like

I was looking up the sequel today and they released a little footage:

The only thing of note in that video: HUGE TREES. But seriously they look good. I’m hoping that they do a lot of this kind of thing. The one big thing that DQ Builders is missing that Minecraft has (for me personally) is a real sense of scale and wonder. There were often times when playing Minecraft I would just stop and look around and get a little breathless at the scale of the world and the geography. DQ Builders on the other hand is much smaller and focused, which has its benefits, but I want more Massive Geographical Features and also Really Big Buildings too?

Also it has online multiplayer so there’s that.

DQ Builders feels like a side project sort of game, so I’m wondering if the sequel will have a bit more…meatiness??? Dunno how to put it.

It’s a real shame that this game doesn’t have more info online. Maybe we need to write our own fan wiki on it haha

1 Like

(he says only half jokingly)

I did all the challenges for chapter 1 except the speed run. I’ll have to start a new save when I’m ready to attempt that.

I haven’t looked up much from the second game yet but I know it’s coming out soon-ish. I’m glad it looks like they’re increasing the scale. The massiveness of Minecraft is also my favorite aspect of the game. I like building a huge castle or whatever into the side of a mountain or hanging over the edge of a deep ravine.

That’s exciting that they’re going to do something with DQB1 saves. I’ll bet it’s tied to Dragon Quest II somehow like this one is tied to the original.

Here are my promised chapter 2 pics:

Overhead view of my dirt base:

You can see I was just packing rooms with random furniture to get the level up.

This is all that’s left of my sick room/infirmary, which lay in the direct path of the minions:

The remains of my garden:

An awkward view into my workshop (next to the bedroom with all the dinnerware), which had half the floor blown up when the storeroom below it was destroyed during the battle:

A final view from a corner:

The good people of Rimuldar deserve better than this.

Unlike the first Dragon Quest Builders, the sequel will feature slopes, the ability to dive underwater, a greater limit to the amount of blocks you can stack (it has increased three-fold, both high and low), the ability to fill high places with water, create waterfalls, glide down from high places with a Windbreaker, and supports four-person multiplayer.

As for what the setting is like, Square Enix gave the keywords “fellow travelers” and “young Malroth.” Malroth, also known as Sidoh, is the final enemy players face in Dragon Quest II.

:smirk:

4 Likes

Daily DQ Builders Update: Started chapter 3 last night and got my base started there but this evening was spent revisiting chapter 2, completing challenges (sans speedrun) and refurbishing Rimuldar.

I need a stronger wall. Brick is decent but Hammerhoods can still break through and let other creepies in. Built a graveyard, rebuilt the outline of my sick room (though I’m not sure yet what I’ll turn it into this time) and removed my farm for some breathing room. Going to do something with that little spring in the corner too, maybe put a Cantlin garden there or something. Eventually I plan on replacing most of the surrounding dirt with normal earth instead of sick earth.

Rebuilt my main bedroom after I learned how to make roofing tiles.

The beginnings of a cozy home.

3 Likes

I spent this evening in chapter 3 making some new progress, have Glutimus, Burley, Maxi and the blue teleporter but I mainly spent most of my time developing Kol.

The view from above:

Did you know gardens will grant you regenerating health? Depending on the type of garden you’ll get a +1 or +2 regen over time and it stacks so the more gardens you have to bigger the boost. My two cactus/desert gardens are worth +2 regen a piece so I automatically regenerate +4 health at a time. Makes exploring the world less dangerous.

Scorpions, like most of the enemies in the game, are deadly but quite dumb.

Here I am enjoying my mostly completed garden (I just need to procure a dead tree and I’ll actually get points toward my base level). Once I’m not playing for points anymore on this chapter I’ll rebuild these gardens in different locations to be more spread out and prettier looking.

This one is not quite finished yet. Need to go shovel up some more cacti.

This time around I’m starting off building more vertically. Right now I have multi-level structures but I plan on building down as well. The door in the recess above leads to a little storage room with a couple chests and pots in it.

A view from the ground level of the other side of the main structure, opposite my incomplete cactus garden. The room to the left leads to my teleportarium and the one to the right currently has my forge in it, with a barbecue kitchen right next door.

I like how that ivy looks hanging off the walls of my bath house. I’m mentioning this mainly so I’ll remember to gather lots of ivy tomorrow and put it up on everything.

Here’s the main room with the miner’s refiner and the door to our humble bedroom.

There’s four straw mattresses in there now but once we rescue Barbella I’ll need to make myself another, more private, sleeping quarters elsewhere.

And this is where I’m keeping all the treasure chests I find because hell yeah treasure rooms are awesome.

Pro-Tip: Each time you level up your base go around and knock off all the doors to every room. Your score won’t drop below zero on whatever your current level is and when you go back and replace all the doors you’ll get the points for those rooms all over again giving you a huge boost towards your next level.

1 Like

Is that really how it works? I think there is a running total of points (which you can see by just going to the menu by hitting A) and it will drop by the correct amount, but you won’t de-level. So you can’t lose a level but if you demolished everything your score would go to 0. Maybe I am wrong though. I haven’t really been paying attention, I usually end up at level 5 way before the end of the chapter.

Also, what’s the requirements for making a garden? I have never built one. I wish you could do it without walls though, it’s kind of silly to have a garden inside of a room.

I think fences count as walls? I am pretty sure my garden in the ps4 version didn’t have them.

1 Like

That must be true, the farm I built only had fences. Good call.

Yup that’s how it works, even as you describe it. For example, when my base leveled from 2 to 3 there was a little bit of “carry over” base experience points. I “reset” that to zero by taking off my doors, which lowered my overall points but I stayed at level 3. Then I went back and put the doors back on all my rooms, getting back all those overall base points I lost but still counting them towards my current level. So I went from level 2 to level 3 via normal room building and then in a matter of seconds after hitting level 3 I got halfway to level 4 just by taking the doors off and putting them back on.

Now if I did it again before reaching the next level I’d just reset the current level back to zero and then back up to where it was after getting that initial boost so it only “works” once per level and even then only immediately after leveling up.

It’s not really a necessary strategy unless you have the speed run challenges and are looking for ways to save time on the base building requirements (those quests where a character asks you to work on the base some before moving on).

To build a garden you need a bench, a light source and at least two different types of plants. And walls/fences, however you prefer. I found a page listing the specific requirements for each room type and what bonuses they confer but I’ve found even my unfinished gardens grant the bonuses despite the game not officially recognizing it yet. Once successfully completed the game will announce you’ve learned how to make whatever specific room type you made and then it’ll show up in the recipe/room lists in the menu.

There’s also some generally useful advice in this short GameFAQs thread, which is where I got the room type list.

1 Like

Didn’t really have as much time to spend this evening as I’d have liked but what time I did have I enjoyed every minute of. Just building up Kol a bit more (and I’m ready for the next big plot quest and teleporter).

Finally strengthened my wall. Should hold out a little bit longer than before.

Started building up more and adding ivy to the buildings and some grass to the ground in general.

Turned my bath into a bodybuilder’s bath which makes your dudes carry stronger weapons. They can (almost) hold their own in a boss fight now! They still fall during battle just not as soon as they would have before.

Main entrance. Got a wooden door for now but once I make a steel door I’m doing this whole bit up to be more flashy and cool looking.

I really like the desert setting. I think it’s my favorite so far.

1 Like

Building up and up and away.

Should add some windows to these structures.

Dragon Quest Bridge Builders

Tomorrow I will either try and finish chapter 4 since I’ve been taking my sweet time with it or maybe go back to chapters 1 & 2 and expand my bases there. Kind of itching to start building beyond the confines of the lighted area.

2 Likes

Man I really like the contours of those walls and buildings. Not just big cubes.

Thanks.

Yeah making a pleasing looking building is kind of hard! Ultimately it’s all just cubes on/in/under each other but really the game will count just about any shape as a room as long as it has walls two blocks high, the corners all connect, and there’s a door + light source.

This evening I decided I needed more recessed bits and more bits that jut out, as well as having things overlap and intertwine in general. I’d planned on having a bridge connecting my two main structures and now that I have something up I think I need more stuff like that like little walkways connecting things together and such.

I will never leave this chapter if I don’t tear myself away from building up this base.

Expanded my bridge/walkway to grant access to a couple new rooms.

Also built a tower above the baths. Made myself a private room at the base.

Wanted to see what the max building height looked like. This is it. Not too bad, really. Went back and broke down the top layer some and added broken blocks to make it look weathered and abandoned.

4 Likes

Finished chapter 3. That was pretty hard! My base got pretty wrecked as well but I’ll fix it all in good time. I like that “ultimate weapon” you have to build.

edit-Tantegel as an ashen land of death is really metal.

1 Like

Compared to the rest of the game, Chapter 4 is really interesting structurally! I’ll be interested to see what you feel about it

I got to the next save point through the blue teleportal. I wholeheartedly approve of what chapter 4 is doing compared to the rest of the game! I’m actually interested in seeing how this ends now.

I finished chapter 4. I didn’t take any pictures because it’s special and I didn’t want to spoil it for anyone. Game was A+ and when I return I’ll be building my own kingdom in Terra Incognita. Look forward to it!

3 Likes