Bloodstained: being a castlevania fan is a complex relationship

i’ve played the first stage of curse of the moon, and it’s really good. and it looks amazing too. i recently said of sonic mania that the graphic upgrades in the reamde zones were subtle enough that they look like how you remember them looking, even though they’re a lot more detailed.
cotm is kind of like that aesthetically, but with the famicom in general?

more updates when my vita finishes charging i guess

1 Like

5 Likes

i’ve now played up to the start of what appears to be the final stage. i’ve really enjoyed this so far, and i can see myself playing through again on higher difficulty levels or whatever in the future.
it’s a short game, but one that’s massively enjoyable throughout

1 Like

It didn’t click with me at first, I mean my first playthrough was fine and all, but that first impression changed pretty quickly. Be sure to try out Nightmare mode, it changes the final level completely and introduces some changes to enemy attacks.

3 Likes

Played through a Normal run of this. It’s not bad but it does a lot of things that piss me off, and I felt like I never got a good sense of how I was “supposed” to fight the final boss’s second form. I just spammed the lightning spell while I tried to keep Mage Guy from dying by tagging him out.

I was looking away for most of the credits, but I’m pretty sure I spotted a familiar name in the localization section…

2 Likes

Worth pointing out that it’s not communicated that there are alternatives to recruiting allies. Just try anything other than the immediate button prompt. You can get a different playstyle as a result and it’s the only way to unlock the final mode.

in other CastleVania hijinks, you should all check this out.

4 Likes

the most recent agdq issyos speedrun was done by a pretty hilarious guy, and worth a watch

yeah this totally rules. i wasn’t super enthusiastic during my first playthrough, i think because it’s a little easy to brute force things with character switching, but playing on nightmare mode with supertough bosses and playing through with solo swordman everything really starts to shine. it’s funny how shameless it is about lifting enemies and weapons just straight out of actual castlevania, but it uses and paces everything so mindfully. it’s funny when it deviates, too - i laughed out loud the first time i went to throw an axe

i think of actual castlevania bosses as being kind of messy, though, which is not the case here, where i can call to mind all nine boss fights off the top of my head and where most of them require fairly meticulous play, especially on non-vanilla runs. they’re great

the last level of nightmare mode is adorable and the boss there is great and there are some little narrative stunts the game pulls during the fight that are executed, like, hilariously well

diplo says this is the game he wishes cv3 was

6 Likes

I wanted to briefly follow up on my badposts earlier in the thread (that I still partially stand behind; the spritework is all over the place but the level design is great) to also say that curse rules a lot. it is a really interesting feeling to have a game retroactively fill a space in my mind as being something i already have a relationship with because of the way it skirts the line between being nes cv but also its own thing, both in successful ways. like I immediately loved all four of these characters like they’d always been in cv just in the ways they’re narrativized by their mechanical and thematic roles. no other “retro” attempt ever pulled off quite that effect for me to this extent.

it’s actually my least favorite thing about the game that it has megaman bosses instead of cv/ng bosses. it’s partially my preference for not having to stand around waiting for Attack Phase → Defense Phase to complete its animation cycle before I can make meaningful progress in the fight again, but it’s also a kind of generic take on RETRO 2D BOSS rather than really trying to figure out how to make the messiness of cv bosses work in a new way, which would’ve been an interesting thing for them to pull off. there is an extent to which waiting around is mitigated by keen sub weapon and character usage, though, so there’s still some of that spirit there and I don’t mind the end result at this point

3 Likes

I didn’t really care for shovel knight and I’ve never been the world’s biggest castlevania fan beyond the very first one but I’ve heard enough good things at this point that I’m in. I’m happy that inti creates apparently made a good game at last.

1 Like

It is a good game. I watched let’s plays of it and enjoyed that a lot. I love the last nightmare level and it’s got cool characters and levels

meG a Man zero is G OOD!!!

10 Likes

yeah this is way better than shovel knight

1 Like

yeah i basically hate shovel knight and this rules

I just played the first two levels and I have very little to complain about

of all the incongruously megaman-ish stuff I do like how the boss doors all have the same shitty guardian

I’ve been playing and enjoying their blaster master game lately.

1 Like

yeah what the fuck felix explain yourself

1 Like

Let me tell y’all that I am very excited to be wrong about this game.

3 Likes
1 Like

confirmed: it’s definitely castlevania

6 Likes