Bloodstained: being a castlevania fan is a complex relationship

for real

i wanna play this though

1 Like

Details on characters and gameplay here.

http://curseofthemoon.com

The real bstained looks to be good also

1 Like

sometimes i feel like yā€™all just need to enjoy a dumb game about whipping monsters

6 Likes

there are three other games about that coming out this year and they all look better

you can never have enough monster whipping

3 Likes

unfulfilled sex lives

2 Likes

Fwiw, I think it looks like shit. Barely better than the NES Castlevanias. Speaking purely from a visual standpoint, Iā€™m not getting into the merits of deliberately clumsy controls or level design

If you are going to make a NES-aping game in 2018, you should at least aim for spritework on the level of Little Samson.

Hell, they even copied the ugly color palette

which breast size for Miriam does this use?

1 Like

Iā€™m fighting letting myself get bugged out about the color palette not being properly limited.

And not being implemented in an actual NES cart, etcā€¦

Canā€™t easily count colors based on these screenshots. How do you determine if they are imitating NES limitations?

it doesnā€™t, though. my thing is that itā€™s not successfully slavishly in service of the evocative minimalism of the original aesthetic (mm9 comparison not being apt, then) or a skillful elevation of the style either. it just kind of remembers the thing you like, as is usually the case with nostalgia trips

tbh accepting upfront that it is not going to be paced like a classicvania I think the quick switching stuff looks like itā€™ll be fun to do

1 Like

Pure instinct.

1 Like

The palette limitation looks right to me. NES-wise

afaik, some latter NES games bypassed the NESā€™s per-sprite limitation by layering sprites on top of each other, combining the colors via the transparent bit. Since the game is obviously ignoring NES memory limits and screen ratio already, Iā€™d qualify the usage of color as fair game for a NES-lookalike

1 Like

reeeeeeeeeee

2 Likes

can i just auto-mute KoP lol

1 Like

Been feeling dejected since DQ11 got passed over for an english release, will be digging the 3ds out for BLOODSTAINED

1 Like

as always, you could instead play:

6 Likes

The color choices there are great, but that seems to be doing something different. The sprites are bigger and the UI seems to be a throwback to early 90ā€™s DOS games.

in terms of Old Videogame though, those big fellas over at that group tend to make games that are more ā€œworts and allā€ throwback videogames