Blade Runner

I didn’t care for how the soundtrack was one of those that just keeps playing like a note from the original to be all Remember? in the middle of a bunch of modern movie noises.

I assumed Leto was in one the other flying cars that K shot down, and they just didn’t show it more explicitly because in the end he was just kind of not that relevant

2 Likes

I’m not proud to admit that I could probably just watch Ryan Gosling’s face for 164 minutes and be content

I’m…maybe a little proud to also admit this

3 Likes

i went to see this by myself, which is fun because it’s been a while since i went to the theater alone.

had a microscopic panic attack on the line to buy popcorn so i ended up not buying food. i hadn’t eaten for a couple hours so halfway through i was really hungry. went out to the bathroom and asked the manager for some m&ms.

the guy next to me was breathing really loud, it was unsettling. the theater’s booth apparently wasn’t able to play the film’s score properly (maybe?) so a lot of the “inception bwaaaahs” just made the speakers shake around kind of viciously.

the disonance between the film’s presentation and editing and the amount of dull dialogue makes me sad; if you’re gonna have the main editor and the cinematographer responsible for making sicario what it was, at least have the decency of not plastering those images with redundant, over-explanatory, okay-now-see-joe-is-totally-replicant-jesus-okay-now-lets-go-to-these-post-apocalyptic-hellscapes-then-to-the-memory-maker-then-let’s-see-him-sex-these-broads-to-keep-attesting-his-humanity-over-and-over-with-the-least-real-effort-possible-in-the-hopes-it-sticks-until-the-end kind of thing. the end kind of pulls up the rug at that, and, uh, okay.

this film is so grossly beautiful in the way it’s shot. the original felt heavy but lively, like a future we could live and see “normal” relations; one of the reason tyrel corp.'s titanic, golden offices felt so strange was because you knew the weird and troubled warmth “down there”, in the city. in 2049 it’s an alien planet, with alien tecnology that is entirely clean and apple-made and everything is huge and frightening – the farms, the archive, the memory-laboratory. even the waiting room for the archive feels like it wasn’t made for humans to use. maybe it’s the future.

i liked the use of stuff from the original. made it mythical. harrison fords’s ]shirt-n-jeans look was hilarious, though.

walking out of the theater i saw some college friends who had just watched mother! in the booth next to mine; i walked with them for a while and heard them talk about the biblical references of the film (?). then i went home and the streets were empty and silent and it was midnight already and this city doesn’t work after midnight (except saturdays). i payed attention to the architecture around and saw things i didn’t usually notice when i’m passing by day in, day out. i wanted to take a photo of the street but i didn’t bring my cellphone.

ever since i started caring about it, i always wondered why i tend to like longs sequences the best in movies. i’ve heard people say that “it’s because it makes you think about what’s going on and not get distracted”. i guess that makes sense but no one will ever catch me saying it because it’s too much of a sleazy snob thing to say. although it doesn’t do anything “new” with that (nor it should be demanded it did), i like to be able to indulge in the raw corporality (sometimes reaching to the field of body-horror) 2049’s long scenes play out; the replicant jared leto kills after his cheesy monologue, the fight in the end, joe opening his palm to feel the rain or the snow in different contexts.. there’s a lot of materiality in the images, if that makes sense, which is fun when you think about all the holograms being an integral part in that reality.

2 Likes

o h this reminds me it was the first time i’ve seen a movie in a pretty packed theater in edmonton and wow did it not disappoint

before the movie, i mentioned to friends that it had been getting mixed reviews, and the (stranger) guy in front of us was like “who said that? all i’ve read are positive reviews!” and uh i didn’t really know how to respond

then the guys sitting next to me were pleasant enough but i think one brought his flask in and smelled of alcohol. i mean, party on dude, but this didn’t really seem like that kind of movie although who am i to judge i suppose.

then on the other side of us, i learned after the movie, was a guy constantly trying to tell his female companion stuff about what was happening, but was apparently ludicrously wrong about everything, like the first time Wallace was mentioned he was like “THAT IS HARRISON FORD’S CHARACTER!”

kind of sad i couldn’t hear that though

1 Like

oh nooo! these types are the worst :frowning:

last time i went to see a superhero movie my nerd friends were doing this all the time (i mean they are having fun it’s not like i want to ruin that for them but it’s different from what i go for when sitting in this dark-as-heck room for a couple hours to watch The Pictures)

it would be kinda fun to do this by just making up a bunch of stupid explanations for irrelevant shit

6.10.21 did you know that’s actually the birthday of ridley scott’s mom kind of makes u think huh

the reason they chose to use pale fire for k’s baseline test is because phillip k dick once called vladimir nabokov an author for assholes and automatons

dave bautista’s first gimmick as an indie wrestler was a heel loosely based off of roy batty that’s how he got this role

san diego is a literal dump in the movie because hampton fancher really hates comic con

deckard’s dog is harrison ford’s dog irl. he’s not a replicant but he did have hip replacement surgery :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t think this was getting terribly mixed reviews (I think it is sitting around 89% on rotten tomatoes with an average score of 8/10, for what that’s worth), but it does kind of seem like this is heading towards being a pretty big flop at the box office, unfortunately

Pretty big flop meant (over here in yuropistan) in my recent cinema-going experience that a movie was being screened one week at max, before it was replaced with even more screenings of big Blockbuster title X.

That, however, seems to have changed, interestingly. Now it takes a few more weeks to see whether it isn’t being put back on again, when it turns out that nobody wants to see Blockbuster X anymore, or maybe they have some volume screening licence and why not entice people to now plunk down the cash?
So we’re having at one local cineplex still that oddball Emoji movie on, and i cannot fathom why. But maybe i’m just old, so that’s Ok.
Anyway, so if a movie gets an initial run of one week only, and never resurfaces - that’s a good indication for me that yes, that movie tanked big time here.
But is that even relevant anymore? Transformers seems to be huge in China (which explains the choice of the locations in TF4) and going with the rather mediocre reception it got here in yurop, i wonder if that’s not just a blip on the radar.
Dunno how well it did in the US, started rather lacklustre as well, iirc - still, if china’s where the money is, do they care?

I read Marina the Cyrillic in the theater I am sorry everyone. I just need to remind people I can do that

6 Likes

I resisted the urge personally, but I get it

I didn’t like it as much as I expected tbh? Though, I’m relatively susceptible to other peoples’ reactions and my roommate sititng next to me was heavy-breathing-obviously-kinda-bored teh whole movie so I may have osmoted that some.

I was a bit worried about the inevitable hollywood action climax but uhhhhhhhhhhhhh it might be the best hollywood action climax I have ever seen. The pounding waves and the blaring music and the endless struggle and all the actors doing great face acting, it ruled.

I wanna watch it again.

It’s also been a while since I’ve watched a >150 minute film, even moreson in theaters (maybe the last one I watched was Inland Empire but that was in the comfort of my home)

Don’t know how this one sits with me.

Sure seemed like a lot of disposable women in it for starters. And the use of the Tears in the Rain track felt grating more than anything.

Definitely lush and entertaining. Worth seeing on a big screen for sure.

4 Likes

One thing that upsets me–not really a flaw in the movie at all but just a concerning trend in our culture–given this movie and other movies made in recent years it seems that uhhhh… we’ve started to transition into accepting the inevitability of all these awful dystopian scenarios? Like, older sci fi always was meant as a cautionary tale–hey, don’t ruin the environment or let capitalism keep happening, or else! But Blade Runner 2049’s message is like “hey, environmental/social/economic collapse and oppression and everything is probably gonna happen, but don’t worry! there will still be beauty and humanity in spite of it.” Which is reassuring, but it sucks that we’re at the point where all we can do in the face of disaster is reassure ourselves that life goes on :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I completely agree. It’s a real shame that we’ve lost our taste for utopia, as a culture. Which is why I think it’d do immeasurable good to our society if someone as capable as Villeneuve made a big-budget adaptation of an Iain M. Banks Culture novel. Those stories are twice as utopian, twice as leftist, and twice as compelling as Star Trek, if you ask me.

1 Like

This movie blew my tits clean off

Loved it