Blade Runner

yeah I think it looks pretty good visually, I have read some complaints online about how it is too “clean” looking and I don’t really see it to be honest, it surprised me to read multiple people making the same judgment

Though I am deeply philosophically confused about the logistics of making a sequel to a 1986 futuristic movie set in the year 2019 that will be released 30 years later in the year 2017, that is also set thirty years after the original in 2049. Is this supposed to be a vision of our future in 30 years, or is it supposed to be a vision of what someone in 1986 would have thought things would be like in 60 years

In fact it looks mostly like someone in 1986 imagining that nothing would change between 2019 and 2049

this is adjacent to why everything about the planned Neil Blomkamp Aliens sequel also seemed lamed to me

edit: also, even though I still can’t help but like Blade Runner in spite of everything, the blinding whiteness of the principal cast seems like it’s going to be even more irritating vis a vis the yellow peril aesthetic this time around. Sorry.

I’m so glad they’re going to clear up all that awful ambiguity that ruined the original…

I guess the Atari sign is a nice touch.

it looks too clean to me as well

like when i think of blade runner i think of wet shoes and mud and broken neon lights

Yeah definitely looks too clean. There were hills of trash and detritus everywhere in the original. The sky was constantly black from factory exhaust. I guess in 30 years everyone engaged in a dedicated clean up LA effort.

The teasers were more effective at hyping me than this full length trailer.

Still disappointed in the lack of codpieces tbh

1 Like

oh yeah for some reason “clean” did not register to me as “absence of litter”, but watching it again that kind of makes sense

but… in terms of atmosphere it looks just as hazy as the original so i don’t really get anything beyond that

i still just don’t think the blade runner version of future los angeles still makes sense as a way to imagine that city’s future, though

like in the mid 80’s the city was still recovering from terrifying air pollution problems… maybe in blade runner’s future catalytic converters were never invented and nothing changed about air quality until spinners were invented, which have … fewer emissions i guess… so in blade runner 2 enough time has passed with flying cars as the norm that things are starting to look slightly less grim

but i still don’t think it looks less smoggy than in the first one so oh well

I’ll watch this because Roger Deakins makes even terrible movies gorgeous to look at and I enjoy Ryan Gosling playing stoic weirdos that get fucked up like in his NWR collaborations.

Beyond that there’s not much here that gives the sense that this sequel needed to happen or that it can even compete with the evocative mood of the original. Part of this is clearly that this is a trailer edited towards action, sure, but the other thing that’s been talked up in this film’s favour is its script, which is not yet in evidence, obviously. That and I’m not convinced that a straightforward story is something that works with this sort of material, part of the strength of the original was that it wasn’t all that consequential a series of events or investigation or at least undermined any sense of that in favour of giving us snippets of raw humanity in strange and sometimes ugly places.

It’s interesting that the idea of artificial beings as second-class citizens is something Scott has expressed he’s still fascinated by and what he seemingly wants to explore in his Alien prequels. Not sure why he let this property go, then. Villeneuve comes across as a stylist more than anything else to me, so I’m at the moment apprehensive of what this is building to.

I wouldn’t mind it being so clean in some respects if it also wasn’t shot so bright.

1 Like

This movie is basically the Culture Creation Industry cashing in on 30-40somethings who were born in the '70s and '80s and I’m okay with that. I’ll enjoy this more if I can just mentally compartmentalize it and the first movie into their own separate categories like I do with The Terminator and its sequels. That was another great '80s sci-fi flick that didn’t need a sequel (much less a franchise) but what can you do. It still stands up on its own regardless and Blade Runner will as well.

Also I had to watch this again before I noticed that it had Jared Leto in it. Playing another weirdo character! I ended up liking his Joker from Suicide Squad more than I thought I would* so that’s pretty neat.

*(though that might also be because he was constantly playing opposite Margot Robbie, I don’t know how well his Joker would do were he Quinn-less)

I wonder what Ford thinks of the fact that all the movies he considered his dumbest are the ones that draw the most moviegoer allegiance and he is constantly being offered huge checks to revisit them

I mean probably just “boy I love big checks”

1 Like

just wait till they shuffle his bones out for FUGITIVE II: Still Runnin’

Fugitive 3, tho

2 Likes

The Fugitive 3: US Marshals part 2: Modern Warfare

Harrison Ford’s going to take those checks and buy a helicopter.

And crash it somewhere

3 Likes

Sure hope they don’t let him behind the wheel of a spinner in this one.

Seriously though, I bet it turns out he is only in like the last 10 minutes or so like a Beneath the Planet of the Apes situation.

Probably the thing that bothers me the most about the trailer is the fact that 30 years later nothing looks different. I fear it is going to pander too hard to nostalgia and reverence of the original and retread old ground, much like Force Awakens, Tron Legacy, Thing Remake etc

1 Like

except cleaner

1 Like

what are you guys talking about nothing looks different. look

harrison ford had the nice leather crossdraw holster that didn’t even bother to cover the trigger guard, ryan goslin has a cheap nylon shoulder holster. this is obviously the blade runner 90s to the first ones 40s space detective.

4 Likes

Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I want to be excited about this because Dennis Villenueve is a champ, but the trailers just make it look like Generic Action Thriller, but Blade Runner-themed. Looks super high stakes too, like the end of the world or human civilization or whatever the fuck.

Still looks/sounds good but what happened to all the smoke and rain and soot and grime?