Blade Runner

The nice guys owns. I watched it on an airplane, and the dubbed over censored cuss words really add Something, recommended experience

1 Like

Itā€™s on my list to watch. I might actually watch it tonight.

More importantly Roger Deakins is the cinematographer, so I know Iā€™ll watch this just for that alone.

Thereā€™s really not enough going on in this trailer to sell me one way or another, itā€™s not blowing me away. All I could think of seeing Ryan Gosling walk slowly down a moody corridor is how good Only God Forgives is.

Good news, the filmmakers feel the same way, which makes one wonder why theyā€™d bother in the first place but here we are.

money

The Nice Guys is a fun, decent movie. It is one of the few new movies Iā€™ve watched in 2016. I saw it during a matinee, which I believe is the best way to watch a movie if you can do it. Lower cost, big screen, lots of other unemployable weirdos. Definitely the way to go. The foul-mouthed kid on the bike was a highlight, and he was funny.

Blade Runner is maybe the only movie Iā€™ve enjoyed more and more every time Iā€™ve watched it.

I think Harrison Fordā€™s greatest talent is his ability to show ass. I do not think thereā€™s been a leading man whoā€™s done a better job of getting his ass kicked on screen. He is a total jabroni throughout Blade Runner. He may as well spend the whole movie in the fetal position crying. It is beautiful. I am convinced it is the big reason why he is one of the top movie stars.

I think Crumbā€™s PK Dick comic is maybe a top 10 comic of all times. It is freely available online, but all of the scans Iā€™ve found are substandard reading on a modern computer screen. Here is a link anyway: http://www.ohio.edu/people/hartleyg/authors/dick/Religious-Experience-of-Philip-K-Dick-by-Robert-Crumb.pdf

Nowadays I think I would rather watch a movie about PKD than an adaptation of any of his works.

5 Likes

Having seen Arrival, Iā€™m now a bit more optimistic about the Blade Runner sequel actually being good, before that all I had seen of his movies was Sicario. Sicario was good but seemed a little bit too ā€¦ angsty? or something? But even though I have some issues with the concepts in Arrival (being kind of time travel adjacent, and time travel never ever making any sense to me whatsoever as a plot device for a narrative, for which the occurrence of events and their consequences in sequences is a pretty fundamental building block. I mean, I get that this is the sort of thing that storytellers will frequently want to challenge and subvert, but it almost never works out in any kind of satisfying way) itā€™s pretty fantastically executed for what it is

nice guys was okay at best

i mean i was pretty hammered having drunk like 7 mimosas at brunch shortly before* but the movie made no god damn sense

*most insufferable DC person phrase ever

as a counterpoint nice guys was pretty funny to a completely sober me

1 Like

What didnā€™t make sense to you? I thought it was pretty straight forward. Not worth a rewatch like Big Lebowski or Inherent Vice.

I just donā€™t think ryan goslingā€™s coat is working out like deckards was.

Too orange and teal

1 Like

I recommend final cut generally but the ā€œcolor correctedā€ look is the weakest part

1 Like

really wish this trailer didnā€™t lean so hard into the ā€˜maybe the replicant killing protagonist is also a replicantā€™ angle that will inevitably be a part of this movie

Wouldnā€™t the idea that the guy whose job it is to kill runaway slaves is just a regular part of the slaver class be a more daring subtext in 2017

1 Like

In the world of Blade Runner the only people who arenā€™t replicants are the people who run the companies that make replicants.

But damn this movie looks beautiful.