awful taste is a global problem (nhk top 100 anime 2017)

100.) The Tatami Galaxy. (2011) - boring
97.) AKIRA. (1988) - only good anime
91.) Mononoke. (2007) - other only good anime
85.) Pokémon. (1997) - only good japanese cartoon
83.) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. (2011) - aight but forgettable
77.) Angel Beats! (2010) - bad
65.) Yu Yu Hakusho. (1992) - other only good japanese cartoon
50.) Fate/Zero. (2011) - pretty good
43.) Gurren Lagann. (2007) - owns
42.) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (2006) - okay i guess, overrated
37.) Fate/stay night. (2014) - anime sux
35.) Steins;Gate. (2011) - clever but lacks staying power
34.) Cowboy Bebop. (1998) - good
30.) Revolutionary Girl Utena. (1997) - good
25.) Hyōka. (2012) - special mention for being fucking awful
21.) Clannad After Story. (2008) - fuck to key animation
15.) Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. (2008) - fun-bad
14.) Neon Genesis Evangelion. (1995) - overrated af
13.) Legend of the Galactic Heroes. (1988) - good
07.) Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. (2006) - fun-bad
03.) Puella Magi Madoka Magica. (2011) - good but overrated

not sure why i did this, anime was a mistake

recent trashy shows are very overrated on this list

glut of content, glut of curators

and worsening general conditions for adventurous leisure and risk-taking, lot of people dog tired and weak and isolated

good art is good but i wish more anime were better. well that’s my hot take, seeya

but also, fiction doesn’t matter in 2017 because we’re already living in a relentlessly updating and bizarre, paralysingly frightening dreadzone

2 Likes

penguindrum was 2011. maybe the weakest ikuhara show but still of value.

I thought it was bad for ikuhara and kind of redundant next to the rest of his stuff

The only thing good about penguindrum is the opening songs etsuko yakushimura did for it

well they are definitely the best part,
like i said i do think it’s his weakest show but not redundant. even if just for how it can reframe some of his other work.

cracks knuckles

actually -

i haven’t watched most of the stuff on this list, oops.

I’ve seen too much of the stuff on this list
Some of it is just down right offensive in quality
New list :
-Akira
-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
-some other stuff that’s also pretty good

1 Like

the cowboy bebop myth probably comes from the fact that it’s associated with outlaw star in the us and uk, and outlaw star really is forgotten and obscure in japan

outlaw star only has a memorable ending theme.

Outlaw Star did nothing for me when I caught it on Cartoon Network. But I was getting sick of DBZ by then so I probably wasn’t the target audience.

I really liked the first one or two episodes of Outlaw Star, but I thought it turned to shit after that and quick. It always surprises me that people love that show. Makes me ask myself what I am missing with the show.

I guess Card Captor is good but I can’t do magical girl anime. So I will just take your guys word for it and continue to never watch it.

Some people just can’t appreciate the subtleties of spaceships with axes I guess.

1 Like

I can’t even remember the ship having an ax.

To be fair to the show I did watch it during a period of my life where I was at my most cynical outlook on just about everything and especially anime. I wonder if I would dig it now if I re-watched it.

you can probably watch tweeny witches

yes despite that title (I don’t know why they decided to give it that title in the US)

1-3) castle in the sky / akira / mononoke
4) dragon ball
5) bebop
6-100) shut up

No Speed Racer?
No Speed Racer.
No Speed Racer! Noooooo!

1 Like

Outlaw Star was the first piece of media that made me think about weird worldbuilding. Maybe I missed the explanations in the show, but it appeared that several aspects of the universe were understood by the characters without concern for explaining it to the audience, which I found more compelling. It felt like there was a lot more going on than I would get to see. Stuff like how the caster shells were given numbers instead of explanatory names (I know there was a banned bath house episode that explained it, I never saw it), and the weird juxtaposition of space travel and taoist magic. Funnily enough, the next anime I’d watch that gave me that same feeling was Dennou Coil!

Also it’s fucking hilarious that the space ships had arms that wielded guns and axes instead of just making the weapons a part of the goddamn ship.