awful taste is a global problem (nhk top 100 anime 2017)

27 positive or partially positive opinions
33 neutral/unknown opinions
40 negative opinions

So I guess I am kind of negative. I made a very uncynical post before, though!

Youā€™re entitled to your opinions! I was just surprised for some reason.

Good anime from 2011

• Ben-To! (Dragonball but without powers or aliens and the dragonballs are replaced with discount box lunches. Itā€™s hilarious, the fight scenes are excellent and the music is top-notch)

• Level E (I canā€™t even begin to explain what this series is about other than ā€œan alien prince comes to Earth and is kind of a dick to everybody and itā€™s hilariousā€)

Honorable Mention goes to Hyouge Mono for having a groovinā€™-ass OP theme (until the guy who wrote it got arrested for drugs)

3 Likes

im no anime pro or anything but uhh whoa no dragon ball?

1 Like

I was happy when I saw Tatami Galaxy and sad because then I realized it was actually 100 and not 1

3 Likes

havenā€™t seen either of these, so Iā€™ll be sure to check them out.

A really amazing thing is you can walk into pretty much any Tsutaya and they will have really well curated sections of movies by type and director. There will be lots of interesting and arty films prominently displayed. But everyone you see in the store will be renting some trashy new movie or an American tv show.

Itā€™s almost like people are different or something

Then why do they all rent the same things?

To see what all their friends/family are watching? I dunno, I donā€™t watch movies or tv, theyā€™re all pretty much pointless

1 Like

Maybe it has something to do with there being only millions of movies/shows vs billions of people in the world?

I think these sorts of stores are aware of a perceived ā€˜good tasteā€™ and know their audience wants to see it present. They use a lot of space and hire curators to suggest that they are a store for people with ā€˜good tasteā€™ even though they know everyone is just going to rent the latest Marvel film and Avril Lavigne album.

I think they do this because those same people wouldnā€™t want to rent their Marvel film and Avril Lavigne album from a shop where they COULDNā€™T rent a weird new French film instead.The prominent curated selections validate their choices in a way that a store that only rented popular things wouldnā€™t.

You donā€™t find that interesting?

p.s:
Iā€™m not really shitting on people for liking what they like, even though I guess thatā€™s kind of the thread thesis.

Maybe (maybe!), just maybeā€¦

they LIKE Marvel?

Thatā€™s cool. I like some of those too.

What Iā€™m trying to say is, if someone likes something you donā€™t, so what? There are people who think what you like is boring, stupid garbage.

If that genuinely upsets anyoneā€¦ I guess my only advice is ā€œget olderā€?

Iā€™m not sure if you noticed, but you seem to be having a shadow argument. You donā€™t have an opponent.

I do, I just havenā€™t named them (itā€™s not you)

Itā€™s more of aā€¦ proxy argument.

it is interesting. We live in an unprecedented age of cheap to free access to media but people still all watch the same things. Exploring what has been made by people is easier than ever but we are stuck in a global monoculture where almost all the top 10 anime as voted are from no more than six years ago.

1 Like

2000-2004 is kind of the era I watched anime most, well in a constantly binging sense. But the majority of it was scattered 90ā€™s stuff, early DVD collections or movie releases of things that recently (then) had a NA release. Evey so often the occasional download or crude subbed VHS and bootlegs (worked through Excel Saga this way somehow).

Can we contrast with any sort of ā€œTop 100 Anime 2010ā€? 2005?

There was a 2005 list iirc