awful taste is a global problem (nhk top 100 anime 2017)

I’d rather take a list like this with stuff from all eras than the usual “best movies ever” with only True Certified Classics From Hollywood. Nice variety of styles, too. If only, the only oddity is that I expected SEED Destiny to be there!

well, it’s better, but i wouldn’t say it’s good

A commercial for the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray played before my screening of Evangelion 3 in Tokyo in November 2012, so I think while it’s not as big a hit among Japanese consumers, it’s more known than we probably get told.

You were allowed to vote in this multiple times a day. I voted a couple times.

Here’s the Japanese site. It also has them broken down by votes from men and votes from women:

They also have places all the way down to 400.

Here’s how the gendered lists break down:
Men:

1. Madoka
  2. Love Live 1
  3. Love Live 2
  4. Love Live! The School Idol Movie
  5. Is the Order a Rabbit?
  6. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
  7. Girls Und Panzer
  8. Mobile Suit Gundam
  9. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    10: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Women:

1. Tiger & Bunny
  2. Tiger & Bunny The Rising
  3. Tiger & Bunny the Beginning
  4. Osomatsu-san
  5. Joker Game
  6. Gintama
  7. Card Captor Sakura
  8. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
  9. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
  10. Haikyuu!!

The only top ten crossover is Code Geass.
On the men’s list, Tiger & Bunny doesn’t rank until #42. Gintama is #47. Osomatsu-san is nowhere on the top 100.
For women, Madoka doesn’t rank till #13, the earliest Love Live! series is the second season at #24, and the first Gundam doesn’t appear until #65. Both SEED and Iron-blooded Orphans outrank First Gundam. Surprisingly (to me) Sailor Moon ranks at #33 (behind Utena!–men didn’t put Sailor Moon in their top hundred). The women’s list finds Evangelion tied for #25 with Digimon Adventure.

Of course, open online polling with multiple entries allowed is a terrible measure of actual popularity. I remember when I was first voting on this back in February or so, Gundam was significantly higher on the women’s list than it was on the men’s, and I don’t remember TIGER & BUNNY having THIS much dominance. I think with the dominance of a couple of franchises on each list, we can assume a certain amount of concerted fan mobilization in certain communities. Something like this is going to favor recent shows with active fanbases.

1 Like

I frequent quite a few anime music club events whenever I’m in Japan and the rankings seem pretty in line with a) what’s being played at those events and b) the amount of fanboy/fangirl screaming that happens when their respective themes come on

you mean like night clubs? that’s interesting

Because nobody asked, here’s one sentence about each thing on this list to kill time I should be working through:

Whew, that was a fun way to kill half an hour or so when I’m strapped for time.

7 Likes

Utena is 2 low

This list is less bad than I thought it’d be tbh

I also find it kind of interesting that there’s nothing from the early 70’s, but 3 things on there are from 74. Is that the year anime “broke?”

1 Like

i’ve seen it said that space battleship yamato was the start of anime fandom being a thing, and that started in 1974, so i guess so! there’s a few big-name super robot shows and movies that year too.

hoshi no ko poron and gan to gon are both listed as having short episodes on anidb, and they ran for 260 and 65 episodes respectively, so i guess those are nostalgia votes from old people.
they both look old as balls, and gan to gon doesn’t even have a description

i tried to do something very silly where i assigned a point value based on rank, and discovered that if you do this with 1 point increase for every 10 steps on the chart (1 point for 100-90, 2 for 80-99, and so on, with eleven points for each thing in the top 10), the 70’s are actually a slightly stronger decade than the 80’s, even though there are more titles from the 80’s on the list, they mostly fall on the bottom half of the chart. That’s also interesting.

Yeah, it’s pretty conventional wisdom at this point that anime fandom became a Thing in 74 with Yamato (note the first Comic Market in 75), became an even bigger thing in 77 with the Yamato film, and went fucking nuts 79-81 with Gundam. But as far as I can tell, this conventional wisdom holds pretty true. Yamato and First Gundam were medium- and community-defining.

There are quite a few more early 70s shows when you open up the list to the top 200. Lupin III. Triton of the Sea. Mazinger Z hangs out at 222. Gatchaman and Tomorrow’s Joe are much further down.

One really surprising thing to me is that there is only one black and white show here, from 1963 (the year TV anime was born) called Eightman, and that’s a thing that I have somehow missed hearing about? It’s basically got the premise of Robocop. It was dubbed into English for television distribution back then!
That’s really interesting, because of what’s not there. Not the first Cyborg 009 (which has some amazing episodes), not Shirato Sanpei’s Fujimaru or Tezuka’s Dororo or the first Astro Boy (whoa–not a single one of Atom’s incarnations appear on the whole list), none of Toei’s wacky comedy stuff like Hustle Punch. The 60s have a couple other reps–Ribbon Knight and Tiger Mask, but that’s later 60s stuff that was in color.

Nor are there any of Toei’s pre-TV anime films, like Hakujaden. I can’t actually find any of their manga eiga that I can think of, not even Puss in Boots.

This list is really interesting.

1 Like

eightman got a gritty oav in the 90s, as well as a neo geo game

2000 to 2004 was actually a good era. IIRC from the last time I did this, the weakest year for anime is 2011 actually, without anything of lasting value.

Anyway

##2000
Comedy
FLCL
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Digimon Adventure: War Game
##2001
Spirited Away
Millennium Actress
Interstella 5555
Cat Soup
Pretear
##2002
Haibane Renmei
Twelve Kingdoms
Voices of a Distant Star
Princess Tutu
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe
##2003
Kino’s Journey
Planetes
Tokyo Godfathers
Twin Spica
Diary of Tortov Roddle
Animatrix
##2004
Samurai Champloo
Mind Game
Paranoia Agent
Windy Tales
Dead Leaves
Tweeny Witches

I tried to be inclusive of things, I would certainly not put many of these on a top 100 list (though a few definitely would go on that list) but I think they’re mostly good or at least very interesting. I left out Makoto Shinkai because I find his stuff a bit frustrating but pretend I included his things here if you like his work.

1 Like

2011 may be mostly pretty forgettable, but it’s also the year that brought us Madoka Magica.

1 Like

oh right this is why I think 2011 sucked. What anime it did produce was either not very interesting or a baleful influence on the anime industry.

Oh I didn’t know it went to 200. I’ll have to revise my scoring system

Damn, that’s, uh, a lot of cynicism.

1 Like

You know you are talking to Tulpa right

2 Likes