awful taste is a global problem (nhk top 100 anime 2017)

the best thing outlaw star ever tried to explain was grappler ships and it actually makes perfect sense.

see, a lot of sci-fi glosses over that space combat wouldn’t strictly emulate naval ship-to-ship on ocean surface combat. the presence of a z axis in space means that a bunch of ships with only forward facing and portside guns could be rendered useless. outlaw star explains grappler ships as taking away that problem because arms can aim in any direction and it’s the smartest + dumbest thing ever and I love it.

also it means all of the outlaw star ships have cute designs.

1 Like

here’s alist of things uk anime fans wanted to see in 1996

kimagure orange road got released a couple of years later, as did the dirty pair oavs.
dragonball is probably the most popular anime here (just like everywhere else), but not until like 99-01 when it started airing on cartoon network uk
sailor moon got a disastrous (dic) dub-only release in the early 00s, that sold so poorly that now no uk publisher will touch it.
there’s a bunch of gundam stuff available now, and gundam wing was popular when it aired on cartoon network around the same time as dbz did. but again, nothing before that airing.
there were ranma 1/2 snes games released in the uk in the early 90s, that iirc, used the names from the french dub. nothing else until at least the 00s, though.

i don’t think anything else on the list ever got official uk releases.

the posts earlier in this thread have me curious about pokemon movie 11, and what makes it so special

4 Likes

Gan to Gon and Hoshi no ko Poron were mentioned earlier in the thread. They’re great. I would have no problem putting them in my top 100. They’re better than all the other kids’ anime I’ve seen.

Gan and Gon. This show rocks. It’s funny and it looks excellent. The backgrounds are beautiful. (Photosensitivity warning - Watch out for flashing)

The Bag o’ Gold That Came Back

The Air Battle

Defend the Oasis … I really can’t figure this one out

Hoshi no ko poron, Starchild Poron. A little boy from space comes to Earth and befriends animal people. They’re always having some childish problem which Poron solves by zapping somebody with magic. This is for preschoolers but it’s cute and sweet. (Good for novice language learners, too.)

bunny pig

Why you shouldn’t pay for ice cream with mice

FOOD PROBLEMS

Why you shouldn’t let flies land on your cake

The dangers of chasing butterflies (this one is really cute)

Why it’s bad to hypnotize your friends

2 Likes