Atlanta (the tv show)

that one was hard to watch b/c I was too upset they were going to miss the flight

it’s weird how stephen glover plays all the rappers voices

although donald was justin bieber

2 Likes

i haven’t heard of this show but this is a hell of a post out-of-context

so rare to see a thing that’s universally liked here. guess i’ll torrent at some point

teddy perkins came to the emmys

4AZ9DIE6

3 Likes
10 Likes

I wonder if donald glover is still yang gang

1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes

Sinterklaas episode baby

1 Like

fuckin rules

1 Like

Hart family murders - Wikipedia
god the premiere filled me with so much dread but that ending was cathartic

2 Likes

god i love this show. the hart family murders and lake lanier stuff is so local it’s interesting to see it played out in this kind of way. the free hugs and aloe blacc stuff killed me. i knew they were gonna do black peter stuff in amsterdam but i never thought they’d go this far hahahaha. the tupac scene was amazing. of course darius knows about the movie foodfight. every five minutes in both episodes i had to pause to absorb what i just saw. this really is my favorite show. kinda wild to see all of them again after so many years and their various movie careers

10 Likes

yeah there’s so much texture in every moment – it’s simultaneously devastating and hilarious

the pacing lingers just a beat longer than most shows which makes everything feel more impactful and also induces this sort of generalized ennui in the audience to mirror what the characters are experiencing. it’s super well-crafted!

3 Likes

this weeks episode got me wondering if the billionaire guy actually was supposed to be nando with that south african accent.

I’m not sure if it’s noticeable beneath 4K but this season has really hardcore digital grain, it makes it look like Miami Vice 2006

also they keep doing Zazie Beetz’ eye makeup to make her look even more like Elaine

outside of the usual high quality craft and character observation, having an episode with a plot that is 89% similar to an anti reparations movie starring kevin sorbo and directed by dinesh d’souza is kind of a tough satirical tightrope to walk and i really don’t think that they pulled it off. it’s not that i don’t think people should play in these spaces artistically but like…i guess i’m glad atlanta is not at the level of popularity of like chapelle’s show or a chris rock special or something lol

4 Likes

yeah it feels like one of those things where a person watching either already knows what the show is doing a few minutes into the episode or they’re going to watch the whole thing oblivious. either way they’re sort of walking out with the conclusions they already had going in.

i was able to mostly stave off my “media gets misinterpreted a lot” thoughts with “i wonder how this is going to end?” while watching, but when i did get to the conclusion those came rushing back again.

i mean it got some grins out of me and i was entertained, so it works on that front at least.

2 Likes

I think it helps that there’s basically no one who is working in this space at all earnestly, so when they swing at it, it still feels vital in a way that very little else does, especially after a lot of good+ambivalent politics got basically mulched by the pandemic

but it’s ironic that the first time they could be said to be… visibly cheapening the stakes of a debate by making it absurd in a way that suits the tone of the show was the same week that Don G decided to run that “I am on another plane from humanity” interview with himself. it seems pretty clear that he’s like right on the edge of not being bothered with being understood which is a large part of why the show is so good but it’s a tightrope for sure

so I guess at its worst, criticizing it is still really meaty

3 Likes

also… I think the cathartic value of reactionary art that’s actually good is massively, massively underappreciated – when you have any kind of debate for which the objectively bad/wrong side are also hacks, it inevitably makes the other side into moralizers over time as well. so having anyone working in the space who’s willing to make something that is both cynical and actually moody/nuanced is always a net good (this is the pro-S. Craig Zahler argument in other trendy circles). I don’t think it hurts the argument for reparations! it probably makes me more supportive of it if anything.

It’s pretty neat that whenever they want the Atlanta crew can make a mini Blumhouse movie about race.

If they wanted to scare people who listen to Radiolab, this would be the way to do it.

You could interpret this ep every which way, and every interpretation would be more interesting than every other show on television and more artistically inventive than something like The Wire.

So yeah: not my fave ep, because it didn’t have Darius asking to measure a tree, but still Atlanta.