Atlanta (the tv show)

Oh yeah I forgot immediately how perfect a start to the episode that was

trying this show again

finding the talk show episode pretty embarrassing and i am told this is not its last attempt to talk about transphobia so uh… looking forward to that i guess?

edit: they won an emmy for that huh

3 Likes

as far as i can remember that basically is the last of it

oh thank god

yeah when i tell my friends the first season of Atlanta is “uneven” this episode is a large part of that.

haven’t watched the newest season but ever since finding out that donald glover was deep into yang gang, I am glad that his politics are not more forward in his show

“i haven’t paid for a meal in 73 police shootings” topped “i’m the white liam neeson”

4 Likes

i guess if you are going to do the prestige tv version of malibu’s most wanted then having literal chet hanks show up is kind of inspired

4 Likes

Chet Hanks at the funeral gave me flashbacks to this:

2 Likes

this week was an all timer. every beat was fantastic. the name of the bar was fucking groanworthy but it kinds of adds to it too. i have no idea how they got a celebrity that big to agree to that insane dialogue. they even managed to have a trans actress in a big feature role without it being a dumbass ideological exercise from hell or gay panic punchline so they’ve moved up to absolute bare minimum points on that one, you did the basics! these kind of eps are always the best. probably haven’t had as much fun with one since the bibby ep.

3 Likes

i kinda wish all the anthology eps had a tone as purely camp as this episode. like from a pure entertainment perspective, this is my favorite one of the standalones. i guess between hanks and neeson and now the even more pure shitheadery of casting rotten man kevin samuels, glover is going for some kind of weird ass devil’s advocate/i’m so naughty/comment on cancel culture casting which i assume will culminate in someone really fuckin exhausting and depressing in the finale

6 Likes

getting hype for the diamond and silk ep

5 Likes

virgin sb poster buying “essential” consumer products:
“google search has been compromised by seo! it’s regrettable but appending site:reddit.com is a surprisingly functional way to arrive at information provided by real humans and not gpt3. i’ll add, despite the site’s 100% earned reputation, you can avoid a lot of epic bacon content with an aggressive curation of subscribed subreddits”

chad darius buying drugs on a troll tv show:
“this place got really good reviews on Reddit”

3 Likes

That finale was so much. Stephani Robinson remains one of my favorite TV writers. She’s done such great work on this show and What We Do in the Shadows and I can’t deny how exciting it is to see black folks getting to write and direct inside of this kind of scope and tone. Like this kind of dark surrealism layered on top of such personal and well drawn character stories combined with like chill hangout energy and just like straight goofy sitcom gags is such a unique combo. It really defies any sort of easy categorization. This show is something special. This bizarre parasitic hell world that Donald Glover has created for the hyper-wealthy is so spiritually realistic. Skarsgård was great.

9 Likes

hell fucking yeah

Finally watching this show. It’s good but Earn is supposed to be the villain right? Also my truly hot take is that the barbershop episode is not only better than teddy perkins, it also is more successful at conveying the same ideas

5 Likes

it makes sense that it’s wrapping up especially since everyone on the show is movie stars at this point.

i wonder what the deal with his mr. and mrs. smith show is gonna be. i woulda killed to see what he would have made with phoebe waller bridge before she quit but i guess they couldn’t get along creatively.

4 Likes

absolutely amazed at the level they are still working at this far into the show. great set of premiere eps.

1 Like

loving all the hellish twilight zone labyrinths that people are getting trapped in this season, lol

the specificity always does it for me on this show the joke of a rally’s in georgia and the dasani water were great on the “d’angelo experience” episode

the family drama episode was so miserably emotionally close to my real lived experience that i could barely get through it

the tyler perry episode is incredibly wacky and reminded me that oh yeah glover is a great sketch actor he just…never does it anymore mostly

6 Likes

grits don’t work on me

1 Like