Atlanta (the tv show)

After episode 4 , I realized my frustration was simply that S2 is not the same structure as S1. And I was expecting it to be. I was ready for more episodes of the struggle to get Paperboy networked and successful, in meaningful succession, each episode.

Now that I realize S2 is a bunch of micro stories in self contained episodes, I can retroactively enjoy the first three episodes more, and for what they are.

I appreciated that Van and Earn didn’t get shitty with each other about their relationship. It’s nice to see some people on screen, actually attempt to talk through something frustrating.

whoa

no spoilers please, I won’t get to watch it until tonight and I’ve seen two whoa now

who on the writing staff is coming up with these weird achewood style worldbuilding elements like owl’s casket and hootz kootz

3 Likes

i still haven’t found a chance to dip into second season and this thread has got me p hype

I would srsly pay for an FX-only streaming service if they made one available in canada

apart from the occasional good netflix or amazon thing they produce pretty much every TV series that is smart and funny and has anything to say

So, Teddy Perkins. Spoilers ahead

A. Pretty ballsy to touch so closely on Michael Jackson and to a lesser extent, other black artists from Motown and pop. The problems of fame. The problems they made for themselves. And the abuses and exploitations. I was priviledged to have a college class with a professor who grew up in Chicago through those days And wrote a book about it. So I know some specifics about Jackson and others, which were stuck out to me in this episode. I’m not eluding to priviledged info. Just saying I know about stuff which I probably wouldn’t have, if not for that class.

B. I have been wondering if we would ever get a Darius episode. And I have to say, this is not what I would have expected from that. But, of course he was used here, because none of the other guy characters have the patience or subtly for such a situation.

C. That Hiro Murai is a heck of a director.

D. I like the sort of double fake out where you think Teddy is just crazy and alone. But he isn’t actually. Though it’s really probably two sides of the same coin. But we have both sides because that makes it more fun for the horror movie ending. And the horror movie moment of no don’t go back inside Darius was great.

E. I’m surprised at how many people say they didn’t realize it was Donald Glover.

D. I don’t think he should get an Emmy for the role. While certainly ballsy. His voice wasn’t transcendent or anything and the mask did a lot of the work. But I would be fine with an emmy for other aspects, such as writing. The troubles of fame theme was kept up, even during the comedic break at the drive-thru.

friendly tip: spoilers are line break sensitive

[tag]ok for single paragraph[/tag]

[tag]this

Won’t work[/tag]

[tag]
Need to do this format

For multiple paragraphs
[/tag]

1 Like

atlanta is the highlight of my week for sure

god damn

1 Like

My god was that tense.

1 Like

that laffy taffy

Woah, I have completely never heard of this show at all, but everyone is so hype! I guess I have to give it a go. Sleazy relating part of it to Achewood sealed the deal.

OK, I watched episode one and this show rules. The guy with the sandwich on the bus… That was inspired.

on the fx streaming service this scene is apparently uncensored

1 Like

Hey can someone help me with understanding some of the subtext for Van’s episode? What was it about/what is the intended takeaway?

It wasn’t at all what I imagined a Van episode would entail. And I’m too dumb to get what we got.

I have an 59 year old uncle who is the white version of Tracy. A long history of theft and drug crimes. Talks to everyone like he’s hustling and always acts like the tallest guy in the room. He nearly knocked out a highschool teenager (a friend of my uncle’s son), last year. Over some petty shit.

1 Like

Brian Tyree Henry is such an amazing actor. It’s subtle, but way he conveys Alfred’s depression with his eye and shoulder movements is nothing short of remarkable. It feels real.

4 Likes

s/o to mr popo

1 Like
1 Like