Apex Legends

i really like this game a lot

1 Like

Titanfall explicitly evokes settler-colonialism. The IMC all have South African accents and they’re also destroying planets with whatever mining they’re doing. It is frustratingly uncritical about the militia but the only native life seems to be dinosaurs. Titanfall 1 centers around literally cutting off the frontier space from the IMC’s interstellar transport system and Titanfall 2 is dealing with the “remnant fleet” of stranded IMC operations mostly comprised of the self-replicating Chappies. (And they are Chappies.)

Blisk is the main antagonist in Titanfall and his mercenary group are the Apex Predators so Apex Legends is following in that group’s aesthetic down to the corny-ass shonen line You kill me - you’re better. I kill you - I’m better.

The other factions in Titanfall 2 are better including uh, alcoholic pilot guy (kinda Cowboy Bebop) and Chappie That Goes for a High Five But You Can’t High Five Them Back. Which is fixed in Pathfinder in Apex Legends having a high five execution.

6 Likes

Bugs me a lot that the bad guys are initialized as IMC… I have a very bad association with a person whose name shares those initials.

1 Like

ah shit they got me now

1 Like

I also only play as lifeline where possible. I really like that in the menu animations you see a bit of her relationship with her little drone buddy - on the lobby screen she reaches over occasionally and gives it a quick affectionate rub, and on the select screen when she jumps up she beckons for it to come with her.

edit: her latex surgical gloves rule too

1 Like

It seems like 50% of my team wipes happen when someone or two someones decides they need to sprint as fast as possible through the map kicking down every door and hoovering every possible item and we stretch into this listless strand that gets picked off one by one.

Frequently when I get murdered just trying to catch up with these people they have mics and they’re hollering about what the fuck am I doing all the way back there? You fucking idiot? Now I have to go back? Why didn’t you stick with me? Fuck you? What the fuck dude? How the fuck could you?

Was just jump master and a dude pinged a spot right out the gate and I swiveled to see half the contents of the ship pooping out upon that very spot in a beautiful rainbow promising chaos and death so I swiveled away and launched in the opposite direction. 30 seconds later he’s in his preferred location yelling Where the hell is everyone? He picked a spot! What the fuck! while his life bar goes down and me and the other individual quietly pick stuff up.

He must have wraithed to safety. But he was there in my speakers with a sliver of health carrying on and pinging spots clear over on his side of the map for a long time. He never got any health. He died eventually and I tried to hoof it but it was hopeless. Before he disconnected he was telling someone else in the room “Yeah, I don’t know what the fuck, I told them where to go! I think I’d do better at this game alone anyway, with the way the damage is and shit?”

Oh this is just what it’s like to play cooperatively with internet randos? For years I’ve been keeping myself safe in a nice bubble free of 12 year olds that yell racial slurs because the moment someone opens a door and trips the gas trap I laid in front of it two minutes ago while the 12 year old in question was standing there watching me they run into the gas cloud themselves spraying bullets and blind themselves? This is just something I need to get used to? Take a fucking nap shrug, gosh, get over yourself?

There are chill people too.

1 Like

Menu > Accessibility > Convert Voice to Text

was my first step. I cannot handle randos screaming and babys crying out of my TV

1 Like

online shooters especially on console are generally not great

not to hold up PC gamers as especially well adjusted or anything but it’s usually a borderline necessary 20% less bad

Console gamers are worse about mics. PC gamers (at least from people I know talking about this game) are horrible about even attempting to revive teammates. So it kinda is a thing. I think gamers are just shit. If any of you want to play on PS4 and chat and not give a fuck, i would be down for that.

I have had some good mic matches. I have also just had people who were clearly not even playing but somehow had a mic attached and yeah, that is shitty as well.

2 Likes

i’ll play on mic if u want

Truth of the fucking century.

I started a game, picked Pathfinder, then heard a shit-gamer say “Fuck You” over the chat. he then quit the game, followed by the other person. I dove in alone. I never fired a bullet. Just ziplined from hiding place to hiding place. I won the round. Truly legendary

14 Likes

I’ve been taking note of what characters other teammates seem to have last used, and do my best not to pick them if I pick first.

Also, if I’m jumpmaster, I’ll usually wait for an LZ suggestion from another member instead of picking a spot on my own.

That said, I love my little grapple boy.

2 Likes

my move re: jump locations is to ping slum lakes every time. having a set place I try to start from has helped me get a better grip on the map, also nobody goes there and it’s often full of peace makers.

I just won a round for the first time. one squad mate immediately quit when they heard the voice of our other squad mate who was a twelve year old. the twelve year old (who’s mum was yelling about something for a lot of the match) was so happy to have won a game, it was great.

7 Likes

I do love them Peacemakers. I’m pretty sure they are the weapon I’ve scored the most kills with.

I love Bloodhound so much. There is something rewarding in tracking people in this game as them, and using that to just avoid people. It’s like real life.

1 Like

Clearly I need to play as Bloodhound at least once.

PSPlus subbers got blue skins for them and Gibraltar which was fine I guess.

edit: corrected pronoun

Yeah Bloodhound (also, notably, a nonbinary character, so “they”) is a lot of fun. Being able to scan buildings before going into them, or the surroundings before going out, is very nice.

1 Like

Bloodhound’s scan is way too short-range and also its orange glow is visible to opponents, so it comes across as having gotten nerfed to the ground even before the game was released.

My favorite bloodhound ability is the synergy with Bangalore’s smoke – they can see enemies through it while in beast mode. It’s kind of niche but it’s extremely deadly in the right situation.

I will buy all of you a copy of siege instead