"an aggressive waste of time" (ffxv)

Our boys find out the king (noctis’s father) is dead, the capital is on fire, the empire is searching for them so they can kill him too and then blond boy goes DUDE LETS GO RIDE SOME CHOCOBOS IT WILL BE AWESOME.

6 Likes

yeah this is pretty much how I felt about ffxv

It’s so very much that jrpg trope of no tension during world shaking events cause you can just wander around the world forever doing sidequests.

“an aggressive waste of time”

1 Like

But I liked the waste of time. No regrets playing it.

5 Likes

I enjoyed watching my wife play up through the first dungeon; I’ll probably get an urge to dig deeper in about a decade for all its weird wasteful flourishes.

The amount of money dumped into this project is staggering.

Like, there’s still more DLC to come, a multiplayer mode, and “FFXV pocket.”

Why?

1 Like

Don’t forget the fishing game! Which is apparently a separate, standalone game now, and also pretty good?? I want it.

The trailer for FFXV pocket was hilarious. I was expecting like… a “demake” of FFXV, like told in an FF4DS style, but the game still has cutscenes and voice acting, with–as far as I can tell–the exact same animations and camera movement as the original… except they’re weird chibi models. Seeing anime babies move in realistic, mo-capped ways is extremely good, imho.

3 Likes

Was Ocarina of Time the game that set in motion for devs the idea of fishing in videogames which otherwise were not about fishing

1 Like

Nier-“series” sure had its fun with fishing…

I have long maintained this exact supposition.

does harvest moon count?

I like to pretend I’m “over” XV and that most of the new stuff they’ve added is “unnecessary”

but that defines everything in this game. So much of this game just exists for whatever reason as this unfinished frankenstein’s monster of game design and the more superfluous things they add the more it just continues to become this other frankenmon and…I cannot pretend it isn’t fascinating.

they put in fucken Crysis-style super suits that make you hella buff for half an hour and it belongs NOWHERE in the game logically

if this game existed on the PS2 it’d be an SB sacred cow (not really (but maybe?))

7 Likes

It does have that simultaneous too expansive and too empty feeling of ps2 weird-games

like someone had just come up with the concept of an open world game in a parallel universe where those didn’t exist, and this is what they came up with from the idiom of final fantasy.

4 Likes

Bad direction makes for interesting games

…assuming no one notices the piles of money you’re burning along the way

I like to pretend, given the tumultuous development that a lot of the bad direction happened early on and the resulting game was a salvage operation from tetsuya nomura’s mismanagement

1 Like

Hasn’t Breath of Fire had fishing for forever?

5 Likes

Link’s Awakening had some fishing too

I can’t believe you all managed to get me interested in fucking FFXV

2 Likes

the game boy color port of donkey kong country has fishing

4 Likes

Best final fantasy I have played since 8.

5 Likes

I’m going to wait for all the DLC to get released and then play this again and be super excited for doing silly shit in a weird fantasy land, and maybe then finishing the second half of the game in like 5 hours again.