"an aggressive waste of time" (ffxv)

Wow everyone wasn’t kidding about this games hard turn.

At least for a bit I was Goku.

7 Likes

my fav part of this was still the driving, chilling back in the car and looking at the scenery

still dig the fantasy x reality blend concept too, even the specifics of it were a bit odd

what an amazing tech demo of a game

2 Likes

i AM MORE than slightly confused on: how to start the assassins creed stuff, how to start multiplayer

The Asscreed stuff was maybe a timed event?

So, the PC version is out and no one is talking about this game anymore?

I downloaded the demo on Steam and it ran really well on my middle of the line PC! On “average” graphics settings, fittingly. I get fps in the mid 40s, which is fine for me, and the game looks gorgeous. The demo pretty much had me after the tutorial and the pushing of the car set to THAT SONG, which was abruptly cut off by a loading screen. I had to lol and that was it, I was hooked. The demo lasted me about an hour and a half, so that felt very generous. I didn’t do any of the hunts or collected stuff, so I could have milked it even more but I knew I was gonna get the game and would have to do it all over again, because saves don’t transfer.

So yeah, I think I’m going to be in the “I like it” camp.

It does feel like an aggressive waste of time, in the most pleasurable way

4 Likes

Well, I beat the vanilla version on the PS4 and picked up Zodiac Age last month at launch (they have it listed on Steam at he same price as FFXV lol) so it will be a while until I double dip on this for PC.

But double dip I will, especially if they release a goty edition with all dlcs and episodes. I see that the Steam version is missing some upcoming ones.

Yeah, if you already beat it I can understand. I was just surprised that no one waited for the PC release or no one picked it up and posted about it. What sucks about the PC version is that it has denuvo even though it was cracked already and is on thepiratebay. Just rip that shit out already, Square-Enix.

Sucks about the dlc but I guess that’s the power of the almighty dollar. Gotta milk the PC players too.

I got the PC version but I only played a little. I love the art and they tightened up the combat system a bit since Duscae.

1 Like

The version that’s out there is just using a bypass that uses the demo .exe, I’m waiting for the real crack

1 Like

My impressions so far:

TTA is some super anti-aliasing. I love it. It’s a bit blurry but I like it much better than FXAA.

The game in general just looks great.

There are some graphical glitches that annoy me. Like texture pop in. It’s rare but does happen. Also, I’ve had Noctis magically change hair color.

Sucks about the missing lip synching! The cinematics are lip synched and some in-game conversations, like with Cindy in the beginning, but for most they just wing it, flabby mouth style.

Why can’t Sq-Ex get voices right? First of all the performances aren’t great and second, a lot of the voices don’t even fit the characters. Like what is up with Dino? The reporter in the second town/stop. He looks like a milquetoast 20 year old and sounds like a 40 year old Italian-American mobster stereotype. That’s just wrong, man.

Camping is fucking great. I love that aspect. The cinematics, the chill vibe, the frequent breaks from the gameplay. It just works.

Combat is fun. I don’t want it to be Dark Souls or Devil May Cry. I think it’s fine that it is what it is. It’s flashy and engaging enough without being taxing. It fits the overall vibe of the game.

I like the way it all flows. How you move between going into shops and restaurants, talking to NPCs, resource gathering, exploration and the combat. They’ve got a formula figured out here that’s very enjoyable to me.

The dialog often times doesn’t make much sense. Cid’s introduction is a good example of this. Is it a case of “lost in translation” or bad original writing? I don’t know. It all comes off as very Japanesey though.

Driving is fun. The vistas are beautifully designed and when that FF1 Prelude comes on on the radio while you’re marveling at the sights, spinning the camera around, you know it’s goosebumps and nostalgia time.

The game captures the feeling of what it was like to play an FF game for the first time in the PSX era. To be blown away by all the bombast and gripped by the heartfeltness of it.

In closing, can’t wait to get back to the game and experience more of what it has to offer.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s true but I think the game is fully playable?

yeah the game is finishable but it’s not likely saves will carry over when the cracked version that’ll work with all the dlc and whatnot comes out

1 Like

I played 99% of the game in japanese.
The japanese voices are cast pretty straightforward, like a bland anime but at least they don’t clash or feel out of place.

1 Like

The Japanese is pretty good!

新しいレシピ思いついたぞ!

4 Likes

do the sidequests ever get more interesting than ‘go to a point on the map, pick something up off the floor, return to npc’

I know that they patched in extra free cutscenes to try and fix the back half of the story, and so with that and the dlc, I’ll eventualllllly replay this (I already 100%'d it before) but it may be a while now that monster hunter is back in my life

According to all the videos YouTube keeps recommending me since Tuesday I think the Royal Edition has added even more scenes to the story. And they’ve announced more DLC for through the next year so I don’t think they’re done changing it!

they sure as hell don’t!

this thing is an amazing tech demo.

i’m still sad that they did things like build a multiplayer expansion no one wanted over, like, fleshing out the second continent or something

who doesn’t have an underdeveloped second continent these days

5 Likes

no but you can have more than one hunt live at a time now

1 Like