"an aggressive waste of time" (ffxv)

I’d bet it’s either the antialiasing filter or the upscaling filter (since you’re on PS4 pro) that’s causing the weirdness you see.

1 Like

i do recall someone mentioning that there is some light scattering going on with the windshield but i didn’t catch the details or really pay much attention personally

on the other hand, i find the individual foley art just so fuckin juicy

ive been bonding with my older brother over this game. im definitely pro-XV. we are very serious about fishing.

I typically don’t care about fishing minigames, and this is no exception, but even I have to admit this one is pretty fun and involved.

this duplication bug is killing me

These superbosses are a pain.

This is one place I’d say the game kinda falls flat. Ever since FF5, it’s been a tradition for Final Fantasy games to have at least one crazy-difficult boss that makes the game’s final boss look like a pushover. FF15 has several of these, but they’re just not the same. The old superbosses were just difficult. High HP, high defense, high offense. They were meant to challenge you, and test your party composition/character building skills.

FF15’s superbosses, on the other hand, are just bullet sponges. One in particular is just a flagrant mess. MA-X Angelus-0 has millions of HP, is immune to EVERYTHING on the Libra scan, takes barely any damage, and deals 9999 damage with every hit. Fighting this thing isn’t fun, or challenging, it’s just boring. And Adamantoise is no better. It doesn’t take the 20-some hours to kill like some websites keep saying, but it’ll feel like it. After a solid hour of waling on the thing and occasionally dodging the most telegraphed attacks in the history of the medium, you’ll FEEL like you spent all day fighting it.

That’s not fun. That’s not what fun is. My characters’ abilities aren’t being tested. The only thing that’s being tested is my patience. I want Shinryuu back.

just preparing for these bosses now, so i haven’t fought them yet, but this is the first time the game is dragging for me. the ascension stuff doesn’t scale particularly well here, it’s a real slog to grind for the 999 ap for limit breaks.

Just got to Chapter 10.

I found plenty to like up to this point, and it’s usually rewarding when the core plot finally progresses. Pretty imagery streams by, big flashy event…then aftermath…in classic jrpg fashion. But I guess I’m feeling more swept along then fully bought into the adventure, now that the world was traveled via cutscenes. The way the late game seems to mix people’s responses and all the talk of early FF DNA keeps interesting me though.

The environment of Altissia was fine at first but after exploring, and cutscenes began, everything started to look extra sterile. Yeah the bgm did not help. Halfway through Luna’s speech I became a bit distracted by how unnatural everything felt. Some stuff leading into the Leviathan battle felt a whole grade down from the rest. The second half was hype with all that Sora-Goku action, but what a mess overall.

when i was watching the game on a jp stream, after beating leviathan, he got the fishing mastery achievement on level up. it seemed appropriate.

2 Likes

ugh i don’t know if i have simultaneously loved and hated a game quite like this

[quote=“LWJoestar, post:288, topic:3265, full:true”]
This game is FULL of that kind of stuff. Almost every enemy in the game is a classic FF enemy that is usually a spot-on recreation of Amano’s designs from 1-6

Goblin

Naga

Malboro

just as a few examples[/quote]

there are a number of odd things i don’t understand, though – like why did they opt to make the magitek armor look like some basic metal gear shit instead of just using essentially the magitek mount design from ffxiv? that’s great!

like, my overall impression or vibe from this game is that the final fantasy FEEL comes to ffxiv very naturally, while ffxv is… weird, corny, loads of blandness populated by hints of what makes these games stand out. that those designs are in there is wonderful, and there certainly is a lot of it but, like… idk, you know?

3 Likes

Tabata had to work with what Nomura gave him

1 Like

i admit that those ffxv images are technically similar to the amano images, but they’re also not really like them, you know? i mean, nothing in the game is actually as good as that goblin drawing

2 Likes

like, sure, yeah, i get that

but is this why we also have [no spoilers] late game transitions to key locations being handled via nothing but a load screen? if this sort of weakness is also linked to the general blandness of the world design, then the game is fatally flawed.

and yet i enjoy it for particular reasons. i have to admit that some of these reasons just make me want to revisit other final fantasy games, though. (and i’ve been doing just that.)

1 Like

speaking of ff14, the freebie period for previous subscribers is active right now, if anyone’s up for that.

i, uh, uninstalled the game so i am not sure i will care enough to go back to it.

I finished the game yesterday - 45 hours total without doing any of the optional end-game content.

At least 50% of that time was riding in the backseat with the drop top down listening to old Final Fantasy tunes while my gorgeous coif blew in the wind.
I never once put Noctis behind the wheel unless the game made me. Just felt right riding in that spacious back seat watching the world pass by while my butler does all of the driving.
Main criticism - you can go to restaurants and listen to little world-building news reports and commercials on these portable radios but I never heard then play on the car radio.

SPOILER The most expensive thing I ever bought in game was the hair gel for 10k gil so my luscious locks never got messed up in the wind/rain

I was definitely hype for a bromance road trip open-world FF game and this game delivered… even if basically all of the stuff outside of that central conceit felt either completely unfinished or wildly compromised, which seems like a crazy thing to say about a game that was in development for 10 years and even had an 11th hour delay.

Excited to approach again in a year when all of the patches and dlc drop and see if I can figure out how to enjoy the battle system. As good as warp strikes feel I totally do not get the system at all and am hoping I can have a turnaround similar to the one I had with FFXIII.

4 Likes

honestly if ff16 was just a really good goblin drawing it would be a day 1 purchase for me

6 Likes

As if you dont feel that way about all videogames

3 Likes

That spoiler alone is making me lust after this game.

If the last third involved more adventuring between areas like before, and the storyline hadn’t skimped on major developments or forgotten various details…I might’ve really loved this game!