"an aggressive waste of time" (ffxv)

I don’t know a lot about FInal Fantasy besides what I’ve read! ha ha, that’s pretty good!

There’s also the fact too that (I skipped the tutorial) doing so starts the game off with a short scene very reminiscent of the four heroes of light gettingtold by the king where to depart for.

This game is FULL of that kind of stuff. Almost every enemy in the game is a classic FF enemy that is usually a spot-on recreation of Amano’s designs from 1-6

Goblin

Naga

Malboro

just as a few examples

4 Likes

Holy shit that Malboro is that as impressive in game as it is in that picture?

wow these amano comparisons are pretty amazing.

i guess i need to play this now.

1 Like

Off topic
It took me like 15 years to realize that it’s called Marlboro because it has bad breath

9 Likes

Yes, the gimmick in the game is that during the day you only get to see animal-like, realistic monsters and other beasts a la FF8, but at night, the daemons show up, which gives them an excuse to pull out the classic weird FF bestiary. Bombs, Tonberrys, those samurai dudes…

Also, apparently Sakaguchi himself is on record saying that FFXV is a fresh return to the roots of classic Final Fantasy, where he didn’t care at all for FFXIII

1 Like

wait does this mean i have to play this game

i’m so confused about the aesthetic, half of the shots i see look horrible and half look amazing, there’s no middle ground w this

also the demo was bad… and yet…

If it’s the monsters what may push you over the edge… don’t

The combat isn’t particulary enjoyabe. If you don’t like what the rest of the game has to offer, the mosnters alone won’t be enough, imo.

1 Like

one thing i have noticed, is that the screen shots always look way more compelling than videos of the game in motion. there’s something about the weirdness of the animation, and the way the various shapes on the screen never seem to actually be interacting with one another, that isn’t captured in screen shots, but is really disorienting to me when i watch it move. oh well.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the thing. The way they came together is odd.

Their Japanese name is “moruboru”, and they debuted in FF2, which never came to the US in its NES state. At the time, they didn’t even have the Bad Breath attack (though another enemy did!). Their next appearance was in FF4, where they DID have Bad Breath, but their US name was Molbol, a straight transliteration of the japanese name. In FF6, they were called Oscar in the US version. The name “Malboro” didn’t actually happen until FF7 hit western shores, at which point they’d had the Bad Breath attack for three games/six years.

4 Likes

Someone with more up to date graphics knowledge than me: What’s the rendering technique the FFXV is using?

There is some image noise around things like subtitles and some hud elements, as well as through the car’s windshield. Especially noticeable when you move the camera. There’s also a dithered effect when a character fades in and out of the camera view.

This is just a technique to clip polygons when the get too close to the camera, an attempt to solve the ever-present problem (its success comes down to taste, I find it calls more attention to clipping than straight edges do).

I can’t speak to the others but I know the game will dynamically shift resolution when stressed so HUD elements should always render at 1920x1080 on top of whatever the 3D scene underneath is, which may show artifacts (though my understanding is that normally it just looks softer when it down-rezzes).

ff14 does the same dithering thing and yeah it’s just a way of fading characters when they get too close to the screen

if you’re wondering ‘why dither instead of fade’, dithering is still technically opaque and doesn’t do costly alpha blending

despite that people are probably used to seeing 3 million alpha blended effects on screen at once, they are anything but cheap on video hardware

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30196677

I know why it’s done. I just thought it may be because of how the engine renders the image but it makes more sense that it would be to save on alpha blending.

I guess the dynamic resolution would explain the artifacting around HUD elements. Not sure why it happens to whatever is behind the car’s windshield as well.

are you playing on xbox? I haven’t noticed anything like that on PS4, but I haven’t really been looking, I guess?

Nope, playing on PS4 Pro.
It’s a really minor thing, though. Not very noticeable unless you look at the affected area

I assumed they were named after the oil tanker, or the brand of cigarettes.

Altissia is impressive as an urban space, but the BGM is so generic and contrived that it’s driving me to have the place.

Sound design is really weird in this game. If you take out the BGM a lot of spaces are just really empty of sound. I’m taking a gondola ride in a city built on water, but I don’t hear any water??

1 Like

SE probably figured it was near-inconceivable that anyone would turn the music off and didn’t focus that much on ambient sound design.

1 Like