albums @ 2022

heyhey, re: #4

I sincerely hope you are able to watch this video/it isn’t geo-blocked:

Saw them live three days before taping this in Paris, and it basically is a ‘best of’, so … enjoy!

capsule just released a new album??? after like eight years???

7 Likes

this was the year I got into electronic music. it started by listening to a bunch of those dedeco vgm mixes, this house/garage mix specifically. tho, I did listen to this tape a bunch, especially when cleaning the house. found some nice soichi terada stuff on bandcamp after that. still trying to figure out what i like in the electronic musics scene, but those were pretty good entry points for mee

besides that- the new panda bear came out and that was v. good. lots of brian wilson and a return to pop. think it was probably the album i most listened to all the way through this year. the new jerry paper was also a bunch of fun! i really like this song. went to go see them play and it was a blast. also discovered charlie megira via the numero group. that guy is real cool. watched a documentary about him and blasted through his albums. Krill also re-released their first album on vinyl, so I had been relistening to that one a lot. krill 4ever, tho

it’s so hard for me to keep track of what i listen to and sometimes i just re-listen to songs over and over again until they’re dead in the ground. like, i did that with this zelooperz song and this old dear nora song

i guess of all the media, music has dropped off for me the most significantly as i get older. i love music a bunch, but its harder for me to find new/old stuff that i like when compared to movies/games/books/etc. dunno why that is exactly.

6 Likes

These are some albums that were new (or new to me) in 2022, that I found myself listening to a lot.

Death's Dynamic Shroud - Darklife

This is one that I discovered when ellaguro mentioned it. I like coming across things that don’t sound quite like anything else I’ve heard and can’t easily be classified in a genre. (P.S. I also like it when video games do this.)

Labyrinth City OST by Xavier Thiry

I’m not sure why this particular soundtrack grabbed me the way it did, but I sure have listened to it a lot over the past few months. The Where’s Waldo-inspired game itself is decent, if you can get past the very generic but very enthusiastic children’s storybook narrative.

Hatchie - Giving the World Away

Also on miffy’s list, and she was the one who introduced me to it when I asked her about some music she’d been listening to at the meetup. I like this one so much I got it on vinyl.

Adjust Your Tracking / La Main Gauche by Silver Strain

I didn’t come across a lot of new witch house artists this year, but here’s one. I found them through a Twin Peaks tribute song that I posted in another thread a few months ago, but here’s another song that I tried to share in the SB music chat but it got blocked because I guess there was something age-restricted in the YouTube video.

Hyper Demo by Eugnosis

This is music that didn’t make it into Hyper Demon that Dracko brought to my attention, and by now I’ve spent more time listening to this than I’ve spent playing the game (which I’m not very good at).

Maida Vale Sessions by Broadcast

Another recommendation from miffy. I don’t yet know which album is my favorite so I’ll pick one that has slightly different versions of songs from several.

Karma and the Killjoys - Hellscape

I mentioned in another thread that I recently saw a live music performance for the first time since before the pandemic. I’d been listening to this album (their first) because I knew someone in the band, and I found that I really liked it. The live show was great, too.

I have a few more albums I could add to this list, but I’m already past five so I’ll stop here.

7 Likes

omg my girlfriend is a huge fan of him but didn’t know there was a documentary. can you share what it’s called?

1 Like

Wow, this is very good.

2 Likes

Aww yeah, it’s called Tomorrow’s Gone. His long time buddy and early collaborator Boaz Goldberg made it. It was rad to learn about the dude’s life and, like, artistic vision. He was real dedicated to the craft, truly rock and roll

2 Likes

very cool! did you see a screener/early screening of it? it doesn’t seem to be widely available yet.

1 Like

we rented it :grimacing: worth the movie ticket price, tho!

1 Like

Stuff I listened to a lot this year that’s not from this year:

I got engaged at a Deafheaven concert in March so it goes without saying that I listened to a lot of their live album afterwards lol. It’s such a solid album, though. From the Kettle Onto The Coil, Daedalus, and Glint are all significantly better than the album versions and none of the songs are significantly worse.

I don’t know what it was but I was really in the mood for Slaughter of the Soul this year. I guess I don’t have to defend liking one of the classics of the genre, but it’s still wild how perfect ‘death metal + Painkiller era Judas Priest’ is as a sound and how basically no one has managed to do it right in the 30 years since

Konvent put out a new album this year and I think I gave it two listens? Hard to follow up the best death-doom album in probably the past 10 years, I guess.

Kind of a weird one because it was recorded before In the Mountain in the Cloud which is basically a perfect album and it’s got basically none of their abrasive qualities, but I found myself putting this on a lot when I wanted to listen to Portugal The Man so here we are

I hated Math the Band for years and something really clicked in the past few years and now I listen to them all the time. Owned by my future self, I guess

2 Likes

Last minute addition even though it’s not from this year:

3 Likes

two metal albums i really enjoyed this year

2 Likes

This album is like candy for heads like me

1 Like

Ok well, this is the post that made me realize metal blogs weren’t inexplicably putting Archspire on their best of 2022 lists lol. Ashenspire isn’t for me but White Ward is pretty cool

Well that is surely the heaviest jazz record I have ever heard. I hate myself (but that’s the point I think, right?) for digging Ashenspire

Edit: I like how loud the guitars are, they could even be louder at times, and they do some fun riffs in the early tracks. Lots of good stuff going on but that’s a really nice feature, loud guitars. Things get theatrical at track 4 and I’m done with it. Really interesting record though

I did a post in the Metal thread about the new Circle of Ouroborus records from this year

1 Like

new releases i enjoyed that i haven’t seen brought up by other folks:

Pool Kids - Pool Kids

SOUL BLIND - Feel it All Around

most of my music listening this year has been going back to re-listening to early midwest emo and post-hardcore shit, so i guess i’d also put the first promise ring record and alexisonfire’s self-titled up here (i still personally love the anecdote of them describing the music as two catholic girls having a knife fight) and uhhh the first sunny day real estate record too because everyone’s right to never shut up about it

3 Likes

oh yeah jer’s record was this year too! gotta show them love. nobody can dull my sparkle indeed

edit instead of yet another post: fuck and i really liked the callous daoboys album

2 Likes

This Jockstrap album is pretty great

1 Like