action cinema 2010 - 2019

just watched dredd

oh man

1 Like

yeah that movie rules

1 Like

Haywire is essentially a cheap DTV action movie (it even has the choreographer of Undisputed series IIRC) with unreasonably famous cast and Soderbergh’s directing flair, I think it’s that contrast which gives it most of its oomph

I think it could definitely use more comicbook flair or at least one absolutely crazy setpiece though! Sure, I appreciate how lowkey it is for nearly all of its running time, but the concept of sexy undefeatable mercenary outwitting all government and black op agents is ridiculous enough to deserve at least one absolutely ridiculous payoff. Would go a long way in making the movie much more memorable. The closest it gets is Fassbender doing his best/worst to defeat Gina Carano’s thighs

P.S. SW prequel memes have ruined me, of course Ewan McGregor’s final desperate move is all about taking the high ground

2 Likes

i think it’s ‘cheap’ in it’s approach to action filmmaking, as scross said it has a lot more in common with the last 10 years of DTV (hyams, florentine, etc) than most films of its scale would have. but hey, those are the best action films of this period so good choice.
it’s efficient in its directing of those action scenes whereas the rest of the film is soderbergh on autopilot (medium budget drama, digital camera experimentation)

2 Likes

Suprise to no-one.

I like Dredd a lot. Fantastic action movie, and faithful to the source material.
I saw it in 3D at the Toronto International Film Festival.

The 3D cinematography is really nice, but not required.
It works just as well as a traditional 2D film.

I love that they kept it simple.

2 Likes

I watched it 2D and I had never seen anything about Dredd besides the name and some ads of the Stallone movie. It was amazing. Closed ambients with glimpses of how the society actually functions, never bringing attention to it, but always there. The kind of thing where you feel you could traverse the space the movie presented after it ends because of how well they made the moment-to-moment traversal. Really something else.

1 Like

LADY BLOOD FIGHT does the worst thing where they hire an entire movie full of actually capable martial artists and then shoot and edit so much of it like they’re trying to cover for Liam Neeson or whatever. It’s worse because sometimes they actually do hold a shot and it looks great and you get a taste of good fight but ugh

1 Like

This is really interesting to me because a few days ago I was just going down a deep rabbit hole about one of King Hu’s last unproduced projects, that was supposed to chronicle the lives of Chinese immigrants to California during the gold rush. He spent the last years of his life working on preproduction and trying to raise money to film it, but never managed to get it off the ground.

The project was passed on to John Woo, who I think intended to make it with Chow Yun Fat and Nicolas Cage–I’m so glad this never got made because it would have been horrible. But it remained in development hell for ages, until Woo’s role shifted to producer and Cage was replaced with Liam Neeson, w/ Chow Yun Fat apparently still attached
 and Shekhar Kapur was set to direct. It seemed like such an odd choice, but I guess he had done a couple of big historical epics before.

Anyway I wonder if that falling apart again lead indirectly to this, will be curious to see who they cast as Bruce.

But I do still hope that other project still gets made one day, I just want John Woo as far away from it as possible.

1 Like

I did, it has good cars.

1 Like

I enjoyed it a lot. Edgar Wright putting his experience of timing, editing and jarring hyperviolence that he built up doing comedies in the service of a straight up action movie is fantastic. Which isn’t to say it isn’t funny too.

The finale reminded me of Riding Bean’s.

1 Like

Tiger Chen, Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White

(was supposed to be directed by Chad Stahelski, too, but apparently they had to redo the entire project last year)

7 Likes

My favorite tough boys with soft faces!

Plus Scott Adkins!

And Michael Jai White?!

1 Like

Tiger Chen looks a lot different without Keanu-inflected hair.

1 Like

This is your notification that BOYKA, the fourth film in the UNDISPUTED franchise, is now on US Netflix.

2 Likes

I thought you were talking about the Tiger Chen from Ninja Terminator, who has the best hair.

2 Likes

they made a sequel to chocolate and i just now find out

1 Like
1 Like

Villainess is going to rule so hard,

Did anyone see Wolf Warrior 2? It’s pretty amazing

1 Like

villainess looks tight

1 Like

has anyone seen lady bloodfight? it’s got a good set of talent behind it and the 10.99 pricetag at walmart is jumping out at me

1 Like