action cinema 2010 - 2019

kung fu killer is the Good 10’s donnie yen movie

he isn’t in that scene though lol

also i don’t know if the “ACTION” is good but Drug War is great

3 Likes

I keep seeing Drug War on top 10 lists of action movies in the past 10/20 years but I have yet to actually sit down and watch it. Maybe this weekend.

1 Like

it’s pretty grim just as a general warning

1 Like

I do appreciate that. I seem extra sensitive to that sort of thing lately.

1 Like

Drug War messed me up for days after watching. That climax, yeeeeeesh.

1 Like

Oh man I thought I was alone in finding the action kind of dull

1 Like

I thought the action in Dredd was universally considered second to every other aspect of it, personally.

2 Likes

the action in Dredd (and most of the good parts of that film too) are just a clone of PWSA’s resi movies, it’s just nice to see someone other than him doing action type cinema that is so interested in architecture.

3 Likes

you just convinced me to watch dredd

1 Like

Whoa where can i go to learn about PWSA Resident Evil architecture

The main interest of PWSA i gleaned from those movies was “my wife is like, super hot”

3 Likes

honestly I think it comes off best in Afterlife because it mostly sticks to one location, but all of his films since he went to 3D have been very interested in space (not that it doesn’t crop up a lot earlier in stuff like AvP and the first Resi)
I think the resi films - for all people hate on them for not being like the games - actually play with really interesting ideas of videogame spaces (the single prison location of 4, the ~levels~ of 5, etc)
his other recent non-resi films emphasise this by bringing a similar approach to other ideas, Three Musketeers stands out for basically turning european politics into a tabletop board game.

3 Likes

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/notebook-reviews-paul-ws-andersons-resident-evil-retribution-3d

Anderson’s obsession with space isn’t limited to his visual sensibility; it’s also at the center of his plots (Anderson wrote the screenplay for Retribution, as well as the other four Resident Evil movies). His films have a locked-room quality, where “story” is often synonymous with “setting;” many of them are set largely in a single (preferably cavernous) location: a prison (Resident Evil: Afterlife), a vast underground temple (Alien vs. Predator), a spacecraft (Event Horizon). As eventually revealed, the same is true of Retribution: its doppelganger-populated spaces-within-spaces-within-spaces are all part of a massive testing facility / live-action video game that pits the characters / players against a sinister computer—the Red Queen, named after the character from Through the Looking-Glass (Jovovich’s character is, of course, named Alice).

2 Likes

I second Man Of Tai Chi

I would add Jack Reacher

Everything else I can think of is, on second thought, actually a thriller :S

1 Like

Reacher is real solid. Pinnacle Dad Movie.

I’d say the minor edits to the scene where beardo unisol murders his way through the motel make a surprisingly big difference. It’s a lot more unsettling in the uncut version.

1 Like

With excellent villain casting.

Too bad the second one is Not Good.

2 Likes

I must be getting old cause I thought the movie was bleak enough as is. I wanted to blow my brains out everytime charles xavier opened his mouth. let’s just do a nice thing and save some super kids ok. I loved this movie.

jack reacher 2 wasn’t great or nothing but I liked the family element they didn’t bother to advertise in any of the trailers. it was ok. tom cruise has done something weird to his face and it’s all puffy now though. why!? he was aging just fine

2 Likes

Train to Busan

3 Likes

Yeah I would not make any hk comparisons w Reacher, it’s a solidly “American” violence story and that’s just fine. Dunno how it stacks up against Way of the Gun wrt action scenes but that director definitely has a niche

His mission impossible pic was not great unfortunately, broke the bizarre streak of every mi movie being better than the last. (Part One is not good, get over yourself)

1 Like

I just discovered that totally fucking bonkers Korean go/baduk (yes, the board game) action/thriller THE DIVINE MOVE is on Netflix in the USA and recommend it to anyone and everyone.

3 Likes

LOGAN

1 Like