action cinema 2010 - 2019

Man of Tai Chi is easily the best movie in which Keanu directs himself as the devil imo

4 Likes

I canā€™t believe the Crank movies are too old already.

Kung Fu Jungle was pretty good. It felt like the HK Expendables with all of the cameos.

2 Likes

i know itā€™s 2009 but unisol: regeneration is way better than day of reckoning for me. and far more ~action~ focused.

1 Like

DTV is where itā€™s at for action (with a few exceptions like PWSA and some of the things mentioned here so far)
Florentine & Hyams own this stuff.

(another 2009 one but w/e)

1 Like

How could I forget, Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengence is the action movie of the decade.

Tommy Wiseau plays the villain, and they seem to pretty much let him improv all his scenes.

If you get the DVD/Blu-Ray pack, they forgot to get rid of the placeholder soundtrack on the BR, so Neu!'s Super plays throughout instead of the cheesy pop punk songs. The bizarre long tail of Master of the Flying Guillotineā€¦

3 Likes

itā€™s an asylum mockbuster, but i really enjoyed avengers grimm.

apparently sinister squad is a sequel to it, but i havenā€™t seen it yet

2 Likes

Oh man, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

went to see that movie w/ friends and i was super pissed/disappointed when we walked out and they all thought it sucked for the same reason i thought it ruled (firm dedication to ludicrous spectacle)

4 Likes

none really come to mind bcuz i havenā€™t kept it with it but i am kind of surprised no korean thrillers have been mentioned besides the man from nowhere (which i still need to see as well)

though maybe itā€™s cuz i secretly want suggestions

oh wait snowpiercer was mentioned. that was really good. i think that was my favorite movie of whatever year it came out in, really.

1 Like

I am iffy on including thrillers in best action movies but that does open things up a bit. Blue Ruin/Green Room are gimmies at that point, but Iā€™d have to do some research to remember when what Korean thrillers came out.

2 Likes

ghost protocol in imax is one of my favourite cinema going experiences. up there w something like a 16mm print of la region centrale

1 Like

michael mann is too slow making movies

3 Likes

No Manā€™s Land (ꗠäŗŗåŒŗ) 2013

1 Like

ā€˜the nice guysā€™ and ā€˜kingsmanā€™ are both phenomenal through and through. so is ā€˜skyfallā€™, but for overall diferent reasons

4 Likes

Kingsman has very weird tonal shifts but still largely works

1 Like

Kingsman and Skyfall are both garbage 8)

5 Likes

It should be easy to find it with English subtitles. It may be difficult to find it with big clear easy to read subtitles.

1 Like

I loved how basic the action was. It was very evocative of the late 80ā€™s-early 90ā€™s style. Yeah though, the action-comedy is tilted more towards the comedy as typical of Shane Black films. Also, how cool is it to see Keith David in a semi-major movie?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve really come around on CG blood. Itā€™s kind of endearing now.

1 Like

the only 007 films iā€™ve seen are ā€˜goldfingerā€™ and ā€˜on her majestyā€™s secret serviceā€™ and i only marginally enjoyed the latter, so i donā€™t have much of an attachment as well.

i like skyfall i guess because itā€™s so focused on the myth of james bond while not feeling like a deconstruction or self-satire thing or whatever. itā€™s like, i donā€™t know, a sculpture of a film. timeā€™s moving on, mr.bond! youā€™re becoming a relic of the past. all the odds are against him, but when itā€™s [action scene] you get this stoic, unbelievably believable demonstration of skill and this taciturn posture and, i donā€™t know, power. itā€™s like heā€™s barely a human being, but like, in a quasi-poetic way?

the theme song really helps branding images in your head too, so thereā€™s that

2 Likes

that SONG

1 Like