action cinema 2010 - 2019

1 Like

UniSol Day of Reckoning is the only one I ever remember to mention in passing

3 Likes

The Raid and The Raid 2

5 Likes

District 9 was 2009 and everything blonkamp has done since has been a slightly worse version of that but it’s still so so good and closer to the present moment than the aughts

Fast 5 onwards probably counts, and Mad Max definitely

Luc Besson has been pretty productive post-Taken but it’s mostly shit

3 Likes

Oooh, did anyone see why don’t you play in hell? Or kraftidioten?

2 Likes

that movie where jamie foxx plays barack obama as john mcclane was endearingly 90s and well executed but not really of the current moment at all

1 Like

snowpiercer

4 Likes

Haywire

2 Likes

I didn’t watch the last one yet, but resident evil 4 and 5 were great because they are the only way a videogame can ever be adapted into a movie, down to the structural setpieces, repetition and constant change in scenery used to motivate the player do keep playing or the spectator to keep watching

The Accountant is is also good, it’s actually similar to john wick in a lot of things but it has Ben Affleck as The Nerd

Nightcrawler, too!

And The Counselor, if you like McCarthy and No Country for Old Men, but it’s so bleak and everyone is so unlikable that it’s hard to swallow sometimes.

2 Likes

The Nice Guys has a couple of very good set-pieces. I’ll also vouch for Sci-Fi Groundhog Day (aka LIVE. DIE. REPEAT. edge of tomorrow). Speaking of the state of action in the past decade, are there any movies filled with actual squibs anymore? I’m not expecting Hard-Boiled, just a few nice squibs, possibly without CG blood splatter.

2 Likes

Dredd

8 Likes

hanna?

4 Likes

surprised it took that many posts for dredd to come up

1 Like

Would we consider Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning as action or is more about abject horror?

1 Like

Hardcore Henry I enjoyed as a conceit for dumb FPS plots and the fact that they stuck with that perspective for the entire film. It’s not quite 80’s but it was definitely inspired by them.

There’s Ip Man 1 and 2 which wears its Chinese nationalism on its sleeve. They’re good kung fu movies (though they are on the verge of the decade, the first coming out in 2008 and the second on 2010).

1 Like

UniSol is good

Is Attack the Block considered an “action movie”?

3 Likes

does Drive have enough ACTION to count?

2 Likes

About the only things not called out are 13 Assassins and Let the Bullets Fly (which owns but I don’t remember it being too aciton-y?)

Weak decade for action imo

2 Likes

superhero wasteland

4 Likes

To be fair, I almost said the second Captain America

1 Like