ACTION 5 NEWS with Chuck Scarsdale

this is the happiest news I’ve read in a long time. shit’s keeping me going in these dark days. love that for him. also looking forward to playing it.

incidentally, which is the best la mulana? it’s had quite a few releases/revisions by now, hasn’t it?

2 Likes

really it’s just there’s the original “msx” style la-mulana and then the “more accessible” full remake that looks more like a regular game— they’re different enough the remake doesn’t obsolete the original or anything, but i think most people would say to go ahead and play the remake. i guess then there’s “la-mulana ex” that was on vita that added like a bestiary and a few trivial visual changes or something… i don’t know if the ps4/xbox/switch versions, which came out later, have the ex stuff or not. but if you’re getting it on steam or whatever console i don’t think you can really go wrong

and 2 is just 2

9 Likes

feels like a…reasonable candidate for raytracing, but I can’t help but that 4 years in to the Ray Tracing Era these kinds of projects are the only use of the tech at all

The music is a lot crunchier in the “MSX” style La Mulana. It’s kind of weird in other ways like some of the basic controls are never tutorialized and you have to read about them in the PDF manual (I only realized quick travel existed 10 hours in!), but the music is decisive to the experience, for me.

8 Likes

I don’t remember where, but someone once posted an official (?) “retro music plugin” that would let you play the remake with the original music. I’ve never used it, but it’s sitting in my Downloads folder. It’s a 140 MB 7z file full of OGGs.

Edit: In case anyone is interested:

10 Likes

yeah, here too.

2 Likes

Two new releases caught my eye today, both for purely aesthetic reasons.

One is a new beat 'em up by the Gunman Clive folks that looks like this:

…and knows what all true continue screens are supposed to look like:

The other is basically a vaporwave toribash where all your moves are done by twirling dual anolog sticks and hence the combat looks nutty.

17 Likes

They don’t. But it’s not much, just the bestiary and a few tutorial elements IIRC

In the remake’s favor, its computer program load system is much better than the OG’s MSX rom parody collection. And it’ll be probably be much less of a chore to find good guides online for the remake, which will be required if you want to get far.
The music… I love both. It’s charm vs bombast

OG vs remake

I also see the first game as way more memorable than the second, but it might just be the charm only fully working once

2 Likes

wild. Not only is this… venture still running,

Its previous major milestone of $400m USD raised was reached last November, meaning it’s taken a further ten months to accrue an additional $100m.

it seems to be growing even more

1 Like

the ongoing trainwreck bubble equivalent of Doom 3D x Atari Crash of our times, how can you not root for it to go a bit longer before it gets bust?

Dunno if cloud/streaming gaming will be the next scapegoat on the altar of energy efficiency, but that doesn’t feel as significant a death in terms of #drama (yet)?

VR is too niche to have the same weight, … but aside from Sony, Nintendo or MS going bust/selling gaming divisions, nothing has the far-reaching drama inbuilt like Star Citizen does, or am I forgetting sth?

Crypto games

It’s just sad though

10 Likes

It’s better to think of this as a live service game pulling in about $8m a month, or a moderately-successful live service game.

4 Likes

the difference being that you actually get what you pay for in those games

everything is a scam now because that’s the only way left to make money but I don’t think star citizen is a scam I think it’s just what happens when you try to do ultima-esque simulationism with modern fidelity, and in a game that was supposed to just be freelancer 2 but everyone demanded it be eve online 2 instead, a never ending programming nightmare

19 Likes

I really want to mod a mouse to make a trombone controller for this

6 Likes

lol this game is actually really good visual and aural comedy

although if you caught me on a more cynical day I would probably also describe it as “streamer bait”

still, very well executed joke

4 Likes

Sent an article about this game to a trombonist relative of mine… someone who owns like three trombones… conspicuously have not heard back from them at all since sending it. Hope our relationship is still intact!!

14 Likes

i remember playing a chunk of that persons very stylized episodic murder-mystery typing flash game & feeling it was a bit underseen considering the effort put in

so I feel like good for them in terms of continuing to plug away at extremely polished versions of simple gags & having one of them hit

5 Likes

Tired: Jimmy Kimmel in Fortinite

Wired

2 Likes

(he’s also rumoured to be coming to multiversus)