ACTION 5 NEWS with Chuck Scarsdale

yeah this is something to project on a curtain at either the best or worst club night only

2 Likes

I could never finish Slave of God and Hyper Demon reminds me of that, so maybe not for me but it looks cool

theres no procgen in devil daggers and id assume not this either! really i think of dd as likeeee the opposite of a boomer shooter. or a roguelite for that matter.

but yeahā€¦ thereā€™s no level geometry in either game. maybe in the third part of the trilogy if they come up with something hugebrained w/rt to geometry / architecture who knows. i think there is an iterative approach to a kind of experimentation with these two games, where the first was about implementing hrft audio, and the second is about shaders of some kind?

also i swear itā€™s way less disorienting to actually play than the trailer makes it look lol. also itā€™s blowing my mind how much devil may cry-ish stuff they put in hereā€¦ the first game was sooo mars matrix-pilled imo

this is def going to be a goty for me idk iā€™m very taken with both games. (resident evil 6 weirdo posts)

11 Likes

thereā€™s not even really any randomization in devil daggers, from what I remember. The monsters are introduced at exactly the same rate in every playthrough. Of course, I donā€™t need to be telling you this since you played it a lot more than me.

I hit a difficulty wall at just around 200 seconds in that I was never able to overcome. Devil Daggers isnā€™t a rogue-anything game, it is just an arcade game; pure Robotron 2084 vibes.

12 Likes

i didnā€™t actually realize it wasnā€™t a rougelite cuz i havenā€™t played it as much. so my mistake there. but it does have very much the sort of quick start/fast gameplay loop thing of a lot of rougelites which is where my impression comes from. my basic point is i like the aesthetic of the original but find the gameplay loop a bit shallow and in the line of games like Downwell which feel stylish and tight but not particularly deep. which like for something that received outsized hype and existed in a landscape pre-retro FPS revival that stood out to me as a bit frustrating. so just not my type of game basically. take the ā€œrougeliteā€ part out of what i said. tho i like Robotron - i think the context of an arcade vs. PC games matters for me.

4 Likes

The fact that Hyper Demon has tutorials makes me hope that this is like a Receiver ā†’ Receiver 2 case where the game becomes way more fleshed out in the devā€™s second attempt at it.

1 Like

This game looks great but some of the reviews say that itā€™s all about memorizing move sets like a fighting game. Is that true? Or can you just play it mindlessly and admire the visuals if you donā€™t care about score?

(Preferably with an easy mode.)

2 Likes
17 Likes

not at allā€¦ you have a couple different dodges and double jumps and slides and that sort of thing. it uses wasd, space, and the mouse and two buttons. itā€™s like devil may cry. itā€™s really not that complicated idk what those reviews are about :face_with_spiral_eyes: but heyā€¦ the refund period is still 2 hours so give it a shot imo

4 Likes

Okay, I got it and just that title screen is enough to sell me even if I am no good at the game.

Edit: Is it a bad sign that the ā€œenemy 1ā€ tutorial took me about 50 tries? I am afraid to try the second one.

Edit: The second one took me about the same number of tries. I think Iā€™ve had enough of the tutorial for now and will try the actual game.

Edit: I didnā€™t reach the scoring tutorial, so I have no idea why my score is higher the quicker I die in the actual game.

11 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

You constantly lose points (1 per second) and you gain 3 points (sometimes more!) when killing an enemy. From what I can tell, the game is almost entirely about chaining different movement techniques together to kill enemies as fast as possible. Being aggressive results in much better scores because when you really go for it you either kill enemies fast or die while your points are still high. Definitely feels like a high concept iteration on Devil Daggers ā€“ maybe a response to what optimal play looked like there?

Iā€™m having a blast but itā€™s likely pretty terse and overwhelming for a lot of players, plus it has Jeff Minter+ levels of visual noise, so it can be hard to parse. Itā€™s basically incomprehensible for spectators, which is a quality I respect in video games. I think the game expects you to have a decent understanding of Devil Daggers as a starting point. Iā€™m not sure if I would have really ā€œgotā€ it without the previous gameā€™s context.

My favorite feature is that the field of view is 180 degrees, and it displays things behind you as like red ghosts in front of you, so at some level of play youā€™d be able to react to threats 360 degrees around you.

I think itā€™s not a constant ā€œrateā€, right? More like they show up in the same order every time, but the ā€œrateā€ they show up is entirely dependent on how fast you kill them.

9 Likes

i have never felt greater faith in the developer of a remake to deliver

7 Likes

no the monsters show up at the exact same time down to the second every time. Youā€™ll deal with a varying amount of skulls based on how many of those spawning towers youā€™ve destroyed in a given run but they also spawn the skulls at a regular rate.

4 Likes

ah yeah youā€™re right ā€“ i misremembered. i must have been conflating it with the strategy where you leave things alive longer to farm more gems. i knew there was some way to change the rate you got them at, but i didnā€™t remember the mechanism.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This looks super interesting:

1 Like

okay then

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure that I like Hyper Demon but good lord is it an experience. I havenā€™t had a game go from ā€œunreadable garbageā€ to ā€œoh fuck i think i can see the matrixā€ this quickly before, and itā€™s clear thereā€™s a lot more to understand. I respect it deeply, will not be refunding it, but not sure how much Iā€™ll play it. Itā€™s giving me a headache!!

15 Likes

Canā€™t wait to play it and get a nosebleed