💇‍♀️💄 ~ a e s t h e t i c s ~ 💅💈

Big recommend Good Dye Young, their yellow dye is actually yellow and has stuck well, so I have to imagine their darker colors hold even better. Their lightener is also, better than any bleach I’ve used, personally.

Their black is not black though, it’s meant to darken other shades. Comes out dark blue I think.

Ahhhh. Yeah that makes sense given that they’re vegan dyes. Hmm

does anyone have strong feelings about rotary electric shavers? i kinda want to try one but was let down by a foil (braun 5). it misses a lot of hairs, and i find i get worse pseudofolliculitis with it than a safety razor. are rotaries any better for coarse, curly hair?

i remember an old poster talking about some stuff that was meant to be good for ingrowns w/ coarse curly hair that was basically a powder form of that depilatory lye cream, magic shave or smth? idk if it’s in Australia though

this stuff? i haven’t managed to find it anywhere other than amazon. might just have to grit my teeth

i mean you could just grab a tube of veet or nair and see how it goes, probably the same stuff right?

i tried some magic shave powder and it’s about as good as shaving, not the “4 days of smooth skin” it claims to be, at least for me. Also it stinks like rotten eggs and gave me a chemical burn on my hand, but I should have been using gloves.

I wouldn’t generally recommend it but so many other people have had real good experiences with it so maybe I just have extra sensitive skin or somethin

1 Like

Ah, dang, I didn’t see this two weeks ago. I started using electric shavers/epilators three years ago because my dyspraxia/arthritis had gotten to where I cut myself with razors far too often.

As far as shavers go, I have used a Remington F5-5800, a Braun Series 7, a Braun Series 9, and a Philips Norelco OneBlade.

The Remington is definitely the best bang-for-buck. The Brauns are just not three-to-five times better. The cleaning/charging docks are certainly convenient (especially if you have executive dysfunction - don’t fall into a loop of “I should shave -> I should clean my razor first -> I’ll do it later”). Beyond that, I don’t think the Series 7 foil is that large of an improvement, and the cost of the Series 9 makes it hard to recommend.

But this is a place where I am sensitive to the small improvements so I extreme coupon’d my way into the Series 9. It is still not perfect, but it leaves the least irritation while also getting the closest. I have some white facial hairs that are much thicker than the rest and the Series 9 is the only one that could consistently cut them.

The OneBlade is a different kind of electrified razor - it’s a thin cutting blade the size of a standard cartridge razor, but with trimming edges on either side vertically. This is great for trimming a few days of growth on facial hair or body hair (some models come with guards and combs for this purpose). It can consistently give the appearance of a smooth and complete shave and never irritates my skin, but it doesn’t cut as close as the foil shavers, which themselves don’t cut as close as a cartridge or safety razor. If I haven’t shaved in a few days, I use it to get 90% of the way there and finish with the foil shaver. I also use it with a comb/guard for body hair.

I can’t speak to a rotary, unfortunately, but maybe you can try the OneBlade as it’s relatively inexpensive.

3 Likes

oh that’s literally just nair

yeah i am finding no piece from my ingrown hairs lately. i hate them, i dont want to fuckin wax but its the only thing i know that actually prevents them

waxing is kinda fun imo, i’ve been using the “flamingo” brand of strips and they work well. it’s the only thing i have a semi-decent pain tolerance for honestly

i have the balls you melt down into strips and use but like even when im waxed by a professional i bleed, my skin is so sensitive. it doesnt hurt the blood annoys me though

Ugh that sucks. I’m lucky enough to only bleed a little haha

1 Like

i don’t shave outside of my face often but when i do my pits i splash some salicylic acid on there after and it seems to help with irritation and ingrowns, might be worth trying out sometime if you’re getting skincare stuff soon. i’m using this stuff but i tihnk they’re NY-based and i imagine cross-country shipping is a bad time rn, but The Ordinary have some… except it’s out of stock rn. hm. nvm sry

2 Likes

shaving is poggers i like it when my face doesnt have any of that stuff on it

1 Like

i have awful problems with razor bumps and ingrowns on my legs and arms that don’t go away even when i don’t shave there and just get worse whenever i do. i’ve started using an exfoliating brush every other day and moisturizing and using that tend skin solution stuff (which includes salicylic acid) almost every day for the past 12 days but it’s hard to tell if it’s helped much beyond puncturing the big ingrowns. does anyone have any advice for actively clearing it up rather than preventing it? or should i just keep doing this and be patient

you could use a retinoid or alpha hydroxy acid like lactic or mandelic or glycolic to help slough off the top layer of skin i guess? it might also be that you’re agitating the skin too much and it’s flaring up, but that’s just a wild guess, i don’t know how intense that tend skin solution stuff is. but yeah whenever i’ve had ingrowns they’ve been there in some form for ages, and they’re a big part of why i don’t bother shaving. i do have fond memories of picking massive ingrown hairs out of the thighs of people i’ve dated, so it’s not all bad

what are you doing for hair removal? making sure to keep it exfoliated and clean in the days after shaving i take it (i’m terrible at keeping up with this bit)

2 Likes

it’s so annoying to lay down now that my hair is constantly getting pinned under my back/shoulders :pensive:

3 Likes

i never did shave my head because i’m afraid i’ll mess it up. i’m waiting for my cousin to please help me do it. i want a dye job too but the only bleach i like is in manga form. i told a friend i want stick n poke thumb tats and they laughed at me! how rude.

found some photos of silly clothes i made in the distant past of early this year… they bring me great joy :slight_smile:

13 Likes