💇‍♀️💄 ~ a e s t h e t i c s ~ 💅💈

Is it party in front business (buzz) in back? I think this might be my current haircut now and until I can get the top cut again.

Incidentally, buzzing down the sides at home, good idea or bad idea? I can ask my partner to do it so I don’t have to rely on mirrors but I have seen some bad “quarantine fades”

nah, buzzing both sides but leaving the top and back long + trimming bangs up. my partner’s rationale that i’d need someone who knew what they were doing to take care of the bangs is pretty solid so i don’t think i’m actually going to go through with it

fwiw my partner & i have different asymmetrical/side-shave cuts & we’ve been touching the buzzed parts up at home as necessary. tho it’s basically just a “put on a no2 guard and go at it” sort of thing so it’s easier to manage at home than a nice fade or something

2 Likes

with my next check I very well may be getting some hair clippers. and try some foundations cause the one i have is worse than just bare skin. will report when that happens

im growing out the back of my hair because i want to mullet / tie my hair up but having short sides makes whatever i do with it look cooooool

also i need a way to keep it from looking like my lesbian sisters hair in the 1980/90ss

Why

2 Likes

because ill never hear the end of it from her. every time i do some dumb gay shit she did 20 years ago she owns me for it

7 Likes

fair

i hate it when my sister calls me out and is actually right

3 Likes

there was a very dire period in my life when i was pretending to be a guy where my co-worker and i grew mustaches as a joke and i had a mgs2 solid snake mullet and it was just really out of control. that being said, it is very possible to make a mullet work for u and im glad queers are getting into it

1 Like

So last year I decided that if I was going to commit to wearing visible corsets in public, the best way to do so would by by pairing them with crop tops. Then I found out that the crop tops for men that are available are not the ones I want–not unexpected?–and buying ones designed for women online seems like an exercise in trial and error that is all too likely to result in frustration. Another option, going to a tailor and having them alter the shirts, has been attempted, and I’ve really enjoyed it, but is not sustainable in the long term.

The obvious solution to this seems to be learning basic sewing in order to alter shirts myself (this would require purchasing a sewing machine); is there another option I’m not seeing?

imo for tees and stuff like that you should be fine buying from the women’s section, just go a size up from what you wear in men’s

1 Like

Also if you want to do altering yourself for cropping tees you really don’t need a machine, you could do a rolled hem by hand with a straight stitch, or even leave a raw hem depending on if that look bothers you or not, and depending on the type of fabric and how likely it is to unravel

2 Likes

for folks who are going to be doing hemming either by hand or by machine, I would recommend going the extra step and doing something to finish the edge first, just to further prevent unraveling and make the garm last better. Since the hem WILL give you the clean edge and help prevent unraveling, if the edges inside of it are still unfinished then it can still fall apart given enough wears

The easiest solution is using a pair of pinking shears - they cut in zig-zags like those patterned scissors that get put into arts and crafts kits. It helps prevent the threads from fraying!

The alternative, or if its a fabric thats particularly prone to unraveling, is to overlock the edge. This can be done on a machine with a zig-zag stitch positioned such that half of the stitches fall off of the fabric, this will create loops of thread around the edge that hold in the threads. There’s also proper overlocker feet for sewing machines, and fully dedicated serger machines.

2 Likes

Many years ago I gave myself that haircut and I greeted my then-girlfriend at the door after she got off work and said CHECK IT OUT DON’T I LOOK LIKE I COULD DO AT LEAST ONE TOUR OF NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING AND/OR BE THE REAL LIFE SOLID SNAKE and she said “If you don’t cut that off before dinner we’re breaking up.” And I could tell she meant it.

So I cut it off, which I think was one of the bigger mistakes of my life. I looked good and cool and we broke up a few months later for reasons much lamer than “I could have auditioned for the role of Fake Sting Version 2.0”.

I also had a mustache. A powerful one. She didn’t like that either.

Anyway this is maybe not on entirely on topic but just wanna say if you feel good about a haircut you gave yourself you shouldn’t let anyone discourage you, because you may regret it, and start posting about it online decades later. Thank you.

11 Likes

i appreciate that you put overlocker machines last so no-one would get tempted but as the child of a seamstress i wanna point out that they’re like heavier and more expensive than sewing machines for some reason. i think my mum’s cuts the fabric too or something? idk

2 Likes

yeah they’re wild. There’s overlocker feet for a lot of machines tho which is a nice alternative

sounds like your mom has a serger, which yeah they cut the fabric and overlock the edge all in one go

can’t believe she never called it a serger that owns

though ‘overlocker’ is also fun to say

1 Like

I followed your advice and bought a top on Etsy I was reasonably certain would fit. It totally did! Thank you for spurring me on. And thank you, Khan, for the advice re: alterations.

1 Like

i want to dye my hair black at home and have it last for a while, what brand should i get

LOP-Hair-Color-Feria-Dusty-Mauve-Shade-721-071249359877_CL___GS1_JPEG
woah i can dye my hair that shade of purple-pink i always sit on in mmorpg character creators before deciding to go with something else.

2 Likes