💇‍♀️💄 ~ a e s t h e t i c s ~ 💅💈

Bumping this thread because it’s good and should be more alive again and the household wants to know:

What exactly is this “good skin care” that people say the most basic of hygienic routines? I’m assuming it means dipping yourself in lard before you go out in the morning.

2 Likes

My very basic thing is to always wash my face and use a moisturizer with some sort of sunscreen. Its gonna really depend on what your skin is like. I use this:

But its pretty thick. My skin is fairly dry so i like it but Alicia hates its.

I also use this after shaving:

41M08aGe9hL.AC_SY780

It prevents some ingrown hair stuff I’ve dealt with before.

And in the winter i also use a hyaluronic acid…tonic? between the after shave and moisturizer since my skin gets even dryer.

But yeah i would start with a moisturizer and you’ll be like 80% of the way there honestly.

4 Likes

Yeah I use a face moisturizer that has a bit of sunscreen in it. It’s just this regular ass neutrogena face lotion.

As a head shaver I use a lotion called Head Lube that keeps the scalp pretty moisturized and comes in gloss and matte finishes :joy:

I’m always up for suggestions on shaving and skincare though. I use a Philips electric shaver on my head after hitting it with this pit bull thing that is specifically designed for heads.

4 Likes

imo the two key things are a good cleanser and a good moisturizer, everything else is just adding steps to yr ritual that make you feel nice?

i love the cerave foaming face wash, either as the last step in my shower or a first step in refreshing in the morning. it’s pricy for drugstore stuff but a bottle lasts months (it foams so much that one pump is all you need) and it does a great job of removing excess oil without overly drying my face or irritating the skin.

i then do any hair removal stuff, plucking epilating etc. i follow that with a lush rose water toner. i started using a toner when i was still shaving my face because it soothed the hot irritated feeling i was getting, and i don’t think they actually do anything scientifically but it does feel nice to mist yourself with some cool floral water.

finally, i put on a squirt of aveeno spf15 moisturizer. this stuff is also pricy for a drugstore product but similarly a bottle lasts months even with daily use. makes my skin feel and smell great, plus on my more femme days adding 1 part of this to 2 parts of my foundation makes my skin absolutely glowing and dewy.

7 Likes

+1 for all of the above

Adding benzoyl peroxide after I shave has basically eliminated any acne or ingrown issues. I get it in bars because the value is better than creams

In general keep everything clean and dry when you’re not using your bathroom: towels, razors, washcloths, loofahs, etc.

Retinol/retinoids are the main “anti-aging” active ingredient but regulations for OTC formulas vary

4 Likes

i will use non-petrochemical sorbolene to cleanse if i don’t have anything in particular on my face and like, whatever cleanser i have to hand if i do. a little of whatever k-skincare serum Lin got me last, or a cocktail of actives from the Ordinary. i like niacinamide, getting into vitamin C and other antioxidants… anything with panthenol is a must for me after shaving. currently got some tretinoin to gingerly dab across my face and neck once or twice a week but usually i just use the Granactive stuff from the Ordinary. tried a PHA toner last night and i’m feeling very smooth. use this ‘skinnies’ brand sunscreen coz it’s easy to apply and less gross than most sunscreens + probably doesn’t have any endocrine disruptors in

4 Likes

Does the pitbull thing not do a good enough job? I’ve been using the 6-bladed headblade which works fine but I’d probably shave more consistently if it was electric

Despite using headblade razors I’ve never tried their lotion, I’ve always used the same aveeno stuff @physical uses on my head and face because I feel like even spf 15 is much better than nothing

1 Like

That’s the gist of it. The pitbull is good for covering a lot of area quickly, but the Philips does a better job while being slower and having less surface area. The Philips takes too long on its own. Using both is the perfect combo for me.

I used to only use a Philips, and my head shave time was way longer. I also have pretty thick hair.

1 Like

What are you supposed to do with long hair again. Only wash it every few days, or was it use conditioner every day but shampoo only once a week, or the other way around, or what

i mean frequency depends on what your hair’s doing! if it’s dry then use more conditioner and probably do it more often, if it’s oily or stiff with built-up gunk shampoo it more. generally the advice is shampoo the scalp and let it rinse through the rest of the strand if it’s fairly clean, and keep in mind that you need a lot of conditioner for long hair

mind you i cut my hair short coz i pass less with long hair coz i can’t keep up with maintenance so grain of salt etc

2 Likes

also helps to use a soft bristle brush to get the good oils from your scalp throughout your hair, marsha brady that shit

boar bristle brush… dont use shampoo… wear lots of sunscreen and apply retinol at night… these are all good things to do

1 Like

i actually figured out an easy hairstyle which was like something out of an anime or a picrew, which is to comb my fringe and the little side bits that frame my face and muss up my crown so the hair sticks up in tufts, but my hair is too clean and long now to reliably pull it off which is a new kind of heartbreak for me

3 Likes