A Boy Takes A Gap Year In China

Found the Saturn! And an extremely horny woman who hangs out in the sunflower field.

1 Like

gambling and astrology, of course

3 Likes

Yokosuka is still the same.

1 Like

So I’m playing Shenmue 1 for the first time and it made my gf and I totally motion sick. The wonko camera just orbiting around and shifting between 1st and 3rd person, it’s a nightmare.

The game’s got a killer vibe and aesthetic. I’m loving this ultimate Dreamcast 1998 Japan vibe. I just wish it didn’t disorient me more than even the craziest VR game. Does it affect anyone else this way?

1 Like

what aspect ratio are you playing in

1 Like

16:9. Should I switch to the OG 4:3?

1 Like

Yes. That’s the way they meant it to be played! I think it looks weird in 16:9.

1 Like

Word, I’ll give that a shot!

Yeah, I played it in 16:9 and it is definitely weird sometimes. Just switch it in the menu.

oh man im replaying it right now and i didnt even try the 16:9 i wonder if it’ll make me sick

I’m listening to this Hinge Problems right now and it’s making me SUPER AMPED to play more of this game. Great episode, I love the enthusiasm and the thoughtful discussion of the game’s themes and Ryo’s character.

4 Likes

the deep truth of Shenmue perfectly recaptured in Shenmue 3 is that, really, all people are just real fucking crumpled up weirdos just flopping about day in and day out

13 Likes

counting is weird

1 Like

Anatomic horror faces, awkward interactions, and a motherfucking video game ARCADE in a country bumpkin town in China in 1987.

2 Likes

so good

3 Likes

The best one, though.

1 Like

I know I compared Kojima to David Lynch, but

2 Likes

This episode is so good and it was so nice to hear everyone confirm my long held belief that Shenmue 1 is good and Shenmue 2 is not.

Highly recommend listening to this. Can’t wait until I replay Shenmue 1 and force myself to endure 2 and then buy 3 and never play it. I do like seeing clips of Ryo macking on the elderly though. I hope there’s lots of that in the game.

6 Likes

3 Likes