A Boy Takes A Gap Year In China

As someone who only played these games for the first time last year, the first one felt pretty grounded and relatable despite some hokey video game silliness, while the second one was like an exaggerated parody of what Japanese people think Hong Kong is like based on old King Hu and Shaw Brothers movies. It does kind of emulate that feeling of being in a busy city in a foreign country for the first time, but the Kowloon part just drags and the QTEs in the tower did not age well at all

2 Likes

Ryo (English voice because that’s the only Ryo I know!) is still perfectly dopey and awkward. This is great!

1 Like

ok guys i am playing shenmue 3 now

5 Likes

hey ya’ll.

Did U Know:

Shenmue was made in the 90s and is totally just Yu Suzuki’s vanity project.

This has been a Game Blog Discourse Update.

3 Likes

I would name a Rod Vanity Project.

4 Likes

That would be a perfect name for an 1800 dollar rod in game, yes.

1 Like

“The game was ok for it’s day, but games are better now. People didn’t know how to make good games in the 90s and every strange choice shenmue makes is proof that Yakuza is objectively better. Or GTA. Somehow GTA will get brought up despite the games being literally nothing alike.

7/10, good for nostalgia”.

8 Likes

shenhua knits

4 Likes

I think I have expressed this exact opinion at least three times on this site now with mostly the same words , I truly am a Shenmue character

4 Likes

i got the little kid his white lure toy after spending 195 of my 200 coins and then this little shit immediately demands another one if you’ve got time to dance in the square you’ve got time to chop at the block, kid

kind of wild how similar all the little things are to the previous games like they just patched in 4K and SHADERS between the DRAWER PULLING and CAMERA FADES TO BLACK MID CONVERSATION sections in the shenmue app codebase.

2 Likes

just posting here to say that kowloon indeed sucks

i watched a stream of shenmue 3 and it sure looks like shenmue! i need to replay the first. i am never replaying the second.

2 Likes

Chops wood for five hours straight

Tell the guy you’re finished for the day. “Well I ain’t forcin’ you to do nothin’!” Damn man, show some appreciation!

2 Likes

i found a saturn

6 Likes

No way!

i found it too

2 Likes

Got to the second area today. I don’t think I want to play this game anymore…

1 Like

So does this game still have tank controls and the VF combat system?

my top chop is 126 but also I noticed you can just mash if the log is not directly in the center but also you get a different hype song after a VERY GOOD if you chop at a different chop station

2 Likes

Shenmue 1 is one of the best video games.

9 Likes

how is a player supposed to earn two thousand dollars out here in these streets what do they think i am made of i am just a boy a strong boy

5 Likes