5 games that give a feel of who you are.

Persona 1
Hellnight
Demon’s Souls
Resident Evil 1
Vagrant Story

Funnily enough, the common element is that they all are dungeon crawlers in one way or another.

3 Likes

Dance Dance Revolution Ace
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme
Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova 2
Dance Dance Revolution X3 VS 2ndMix
beatmania

Pictured: My videogames 3x3

6 Likes

1/3 of the women i’ve loved had played and enjoyed killer 7 before we’d met.

5 Likes

Killer7
WTF: Work Time Fun
Papers, Please
Phantom Pain (at the point where it becomes apparent Konami forced the devs to hurry up and finish)
Kirby Air Ride’s City Trial (or Smash 3DS’ Smash Run)

4 Likes

I wouldn’t etch this into stone but there’s value in posting something that hasn’t been overthought, so:

Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Quake
Metroid
Earthbound

Runners up:
Demon’s Souls
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Killer 7
Metal Gear Solid 3
Street Fighter 2
Fallout 1
X-COM 1

This seems like a horrible thing to do.

VideoHeroeS
Maniac Mansion
Castlevania 2
Katamari Damacy
Quake

I hope Max Payne 4 adapted from You Were Never Really Here gets made

Shining Force II
Majora’s Mask
Minesweeper
igowin
Nethack

Aggressively whimsical and bright and then sudden random difficulty spikes making success impossible.

2 Likes

Garou: Mark Of The Wolves
Gunvalkyrie
Wachenroder
Ranger X
Einhander

Could replace Gunvalkyrie with Bulk Slash but you get the idea.

3 Likes

Assuming they cared about videogames, I would invite them over and say hey pick a random game out of this enormous shelf of mostly uninteresting ps2 games and lets play it for 20 minutes maybe theres a nice tree in there or something. Then id say hey lets cook dinner together.

5 Likes

one time way back in highschool a bunch of gals who weren’t really into videogames other than the sims came over to collect me and I was playing this and they got interested in it and we all played it for a little bit and they would still ask about it now and then. one of them bought a 360 for her kid a while back and asked if there were any games like that for it

7 Likes

That rules! I would never have pegged Sanitarium as a gateway game, but as a deeply weird and cinematic PC adventure game it sort of makes sense. The Myst effect.

three games that are very much my shit aesthetically:
shin megami tensei 3
demon’s souls
earthbound
battle garegga so they know i enjoy convoluted bullshit sometimes and super turbo just because i’ve spent an embarrassingly large chunk of my life in front of that thing

2 Likes

more notes 4 nothing:
symbol for weird midnight dennys simulation experience but also the mix of forlorn space geometry with incongruous commercial media elements just floating across it. like if you never played ocarina of time or mystical ninja 64 then i think this is a good hit for like what the better parts of those games turn into in your memory that doesn’t require setting aside hours to do a ghost catching subquest

chop suey is multimedia montage toy thing with lynda barry vibes and lots of chopped up drawings and animations and songs just kind of nestling around, good game for kids, lets you simulate nosing through an older relative’s bedroom for weird trinkets while they ignore you and play some awful song. you do whatever you want and then iirc just hit “quit” and it plays a little epilogue to conclude the narrative. solves multiple design problems indie devs are still worrying about in 2017 though bold approach of “being chill” and “not sucking”, yet to catch on

sky kid is the namco one that’s simultaneously very cute and dinky and also weirdly militaristic for that context, like there are chirpy marching band drums on the soundtrack and you bomb buildings and blow up trucks and stuff but you’re also just a little bird flying a plane for some reason and everything looks so pleasant. it’s like if contra was set in the balloon kid universe and used the same aesthetics. many inscrutable secrets also

ghosts of aliens is just mother 1 / dragon quest but much shorter and more incoherent and scrambled than either, understands the appeal of jrpg format is in promise of a kind of colourful expansionism and that it doesn’t actually matter if all the details are blurred and the words make no sense. but only worth playing in the version where the battles are totally nerfed into background dressing.

super mario land 2: the first gameboy one is good as well and has the benefit of very weirdly using real world places as the basis of some levels and just inscrutable videogame nowheres for others?? egypt zone, china zone, easter island zone, ufo skeleton fish zone. but the second game is a lot more blatantly modular in structure, and the modules are weird in themselves and also weird taken in relation to each other, and even the individual levels feel distinct enough from each other to raise real questions about how they all fit together. the sprites are much larger and chunkier but also very weird and miscellaneous for a mario game and their size means that small bits of design strangeness that would have felt bar for tiny sml1 sprites is a lot more striking.
WierdlanternCyclopsMaskieSkeleton_beeDon_Gabamen_SML2BallbearPiggy1

3d night wander + open multimedia collage + dinky little guys flying around to music + interminable dragon quest villages + weird modularity of structure = probably 90% of what i would ever willingly expose of videogames to another person. remaining 10% is house of the dead 2.

12 Likes

My brother found a loose disc copy of Sanitarium in our family’s front yard, once.

6 Likes

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Tony Hawk’s Underground
FTL: Faster than Light
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2
Ecco 2: Tides of Time

2 Likes

I found a loose DVD copy of everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask in a snowdrift when I was waiting for the bus in high school, which is similar

I also ran over a VHS tape of donnie darko in the dog park parking lot a couple years ago

what does it all mean

6 Likes

Tetris (NES)
Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 1 (PC)
Jurassic Park (Game Gear)
Pac-Land (TG-16)

3 Likes

Arkanoid - I’m just always bouncing around all over the place.
The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants - People think I’m hard and unfair but they just don’t know me well enough.
Wolfenstein 3D - Don’t test me though I’ll shoot you and your fucking dog.
Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition - Ask the right questions and I will have all the answers.
Sexy Parodius - :waynestare:

5 Likes

Wait, what is this game? Symbol? It’s ungooglable. Can you link me to more info? I’ve spent more time in Denny’s at midnight than I have playing most videogames. This sounds amazing.

Edit: I think I’ve found it! It sounded like something Lilith would do, so I checked and… what do you know? It’s Lilith. What an awesome artist. Symbol

Edit edit: Oh wait the link was also in your other post way earlier in this topic. Whoops!

Edit edit edit: I’m going to open a restaurant called “Denny’s at Midnight” that is themed around being at Denny’s at midnight (in the same way that Doritos sell a tortilla chip that is flavored after the experience of eating “Tacos at Midnight”.

2 Likes