5 games that give a feel of who you are.

Indigo Prophecy
Heavy Rain
Beyond: Two Souls
Omikron
eventually Detroit

If she acts horrified, I know she is a keeper…

6 Likes

Smash Bros for 3ds because i’m the portable lesser version of somebody cool but i actually have a ton of charm maybe?

Digimon World Dusk I’m obsessed with Digimon and grinding in video games

Soul Blazer I wanna save the world personally

Gotcha Force I like toy robots of all shapes and sizes

R.A.D Robotic Alchemic Drive Fuck i dunno i like giant robot games and I like city destroying games

4 Likes

The things non-gamers find interesting about games are very often not what gamers would expect. Gotta give people some credit sometimes.

3 Likes

man people who don’t play games are hella interested in lots of (specific, curated) things about games. you just gotta know the sorts of things that might interest them. there’s a lot of neat shit in games we take for granted in more detailed, critical discussions imo. i’m super into games that people with all backgrounds can dig

sometimes i get shit on for defending those games :frowning:

1 Like

I’m disappointed that no one is calling this out because Bubsy is Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

I thought we here at sb were on the forefront of the intersection of game hipsterism and petty, useless knowledge

11 Likes

No One Lives Forever 2
Mastaba Snoopy or Goblet Grotto (not terribly similar but I can’t decide which)
Super Pole Riders
Full Throttle
Morrowind? Torment?

5 Likes

Metroid II
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Donkey Kong 94
Sin and Punishment 2
Rez

Don’t know if these are just my favorite vibes, since it’s hard for me to convey the feeling of what kind of person I am in the third-person via a list of mass market media products, and it actually seems like an impossible task to create this list from an internal perspective, but I certainly identify pretty closely with all the games in this list for whatever reason.

8 Likes

my best crack at a faithful answer to this question would be like

Mother 3
Metal Slug X
Super Monkey Ball
Divinity Original Sin
Saints Row 4

6 Likes

Man, Mastaba Snoopy is so good. It’s my favorite text-based game of all time.

2 Likes

In no particular order:

Earthbound
Loom
Child of Eden
PN03
Gitaroo Man

I reserve the right to change any of these as my memory shuffles new bits into focus, but each of these has been deliberated on for a fair amount of time and have good reasons to be there.

Edit: this would have been a lot easier had it been anime instead of games.

Denny’s at midnight is not as good a restaurant as Denny’s At 3 am After you and your Pals Were at a House Party Where Some Guy Totally had a gun and Pulled it out and started Shit

5 Likes

True story: I went to Denny’s tonight, and shortly after taking our order our waitress came back to our table and told us she had to leave because her brother had been shot.

7 Likes

Too true, but neither is as good as Denny’s at 5AM After an All-Night Acid Trip on the Beach.

5 Likes

There is definitely significant overlap between Denny’s and weapons crimes

5 Likes

Denny’s is also great at 5 am after you’ve been tripping balls and setting off fireworks in cow pastures all night and you’re still tripping and your friend won’t stop giggling at the elderly couple in the adjacent booth and oh man those eggs are looking at me funny.

5 Likes

On topic, I guess even though I love games I can’t really say there are any that I enjoy that say anything about my personality.

I mean, I mostly just want to be left the hell alone in life but I’m not hugely fond of stealth games?

I want to go to the Tokyo Dome Denny’s and live out the after dark Denny’s goth experience I never had. Just me and you and you dressed up like we just got out of a really disappointing Peter Murphy concert where he didn’t play any Bauhaus songs, our hair all wilted, our black lace and shiny black trousers all drenched with sweat.

4 Likes

I’ve more or less done that but substitute a SA IHOP for Tokyo Denny’s and a decent Alien Sex Fiend show for a disappointing Peter Murphy show.

It’s overrated tbh

3 Likes

Cookie Clicker
Clicker Heroes
Factory Idle
Progress Quest
Vinnie Vole’s Existential Nightmare

3 Likes

My list would differ a little if I were coming up with games to play with someone. But as for just recommending five games that summarize my interests, I guess I’d choose these ones:

• Crystalis - There are a lot of action RPG-type games I’d consider, such as a Zelda or Souls title, but if I had to go with just one this would probably be it. Even if that’s largely due to nostalgia–I was 14 or 15 when I played it.
  • ICO - Although it almost falls into the same category as Crystalis, it would be impossible to exclude.
  • Katamari Damacy - As much as I’d be inclined to include LSD: The Dream Emulator, it’s not going to win out over this one.
  • Rez - This will just have to cover the entire world of scrolling shooters, I’m afraid. As much as I adore the R-Type series, for example, I can’t imagine recommending those games to most people.
  • Silent Hill 2 - Or maybe another game in the series. I might possibly switch this out for something like A Boy and His Blob or Super Metroid.

I think the above list is the best I can do.

2 Likes