Cardboard: The Gathering

Man I think my last expansion was Ravnica (the first go-round). I bought some random packs from later sets but never really got into them in any meaningful way.

Wow, so holy shit I’m going on 10 years now. I should probably sell my collection for whatever pittance it’ll get me and run like hell, my brain is already spread too thin.

But you’ve probably carefully stored your cards in protective sleeves, etc. I just have all of my crammed into old shoeboxes. So I’m sure all the collectors etc. will sneer and say my cards are poor quality because they are less than mint.

Hmm. I may have to go through mine one day soon. What do you think is my best bet for selling them? Ebay?

Scary things is how much money you can have in common and uncommons that you put in a shoebox. The prices of things like Serum Visions and Sensei Divining Top are quite ridiculous and exploded since Modern is a thing.

As for me, I leave and come back to the hobby from time to time, but last time I played Standard was during Ravnica/Time Spiral because I really loved Time Spiral. I feel the itch to play from time to time, but I don’t want to chase Standard and the price to enter something like Modern even with a cheap deck is quite high. Have enough stuff to make some Commander decks though, but have no one to play with right now. MTGO is not exactly an option, the client is a monument of “enterprise design”

Still go to some prereleases, it’s a good way to spend a Sunday morning. May pick that cheapo faerie ninja mono blue deck for Modern, not that I want to play beyond a FNM here and there.

Time Spiral was so popular when I was in college that it’s the only block we actually played block constructed. I remember fondly winning the Future Sight prerelease with Llanowar Augur + Phthisis.

The cheapest option for me may be Mono U Tron, as I only need Academy Ruins and the Remands as the most expensive cards, and the remands can be changed for another thing. There rest either I have already it or is not that expensive. I also lack Oboro, but the deck can run without it I think. Brain in the Jar deck looks really fun, though.

it’s not a one-to-one comparison but the success of hearthstone is very much a testament to UX design in a PC-based card game

I mean it doesn’t work all the way with the different phases/instant opportunities between them but still

I’m one of those dime-a-dozen jerks who got into the game during Revised, only to buy cards intermittently for the next 20 years. I’d be doing that still except that–for as much as I’ve loved Magic as a game–I’ve never had interest in the competitive scene, so once my local group dried up, it got real hard to justify continued spending.

Then there’s the fact that Hearthstone exists. It’s a different animal, but Blizzard has earned a lot of goodwill from me over the last five years, and with people like Kibler active in the community, I have nothing to regret about picking this up.

The biggest issue is the way Wizards of the Coast feels like it’s floundering. MTGO has been a travesty for most of its existence; digital developers have told a lot of horror stories about the company over on Glassdoor. That may explain why the Magic website had one of the least-necessary and most-mishandled upgrades I’ve ever seen; Mark Rosewater’s weekly articles were the one thing keeping me engaged with the game since… Return to Ravnica? Journey Into Nyx? And then they had to fuck THAT up with that completely premature web update. Coupled with the lackluster series of blocks we’ve suffered–Khans of Tarkir was a blessed momentary reprieve, and even that was immediately undermined by the abominable Dragons of Tarkir–my enthusiasm for Magic hasn’t been this low since Masques block.

And they STILL got me to buy into an Eldrazi 2 draft three months ago. Gods help my wallet.

This is actually true of every part of wizards except Magic the Gathering, which remains immensely successful and is basically the only thing keeping the company alive.

Dang, my dad - a ccg/dn-dealer, just sold off all his excess…

Last year I went and read through all the Latest Development columns from when I stopped (Ice Age) until the website redesign (uuh Theros?) Then I picked up a couple of promo decks and left it at that.

hey so has anyone heard about wizards doing a cross promo campaign for Fifth Edition DND where you can roll adventures in the planeswalker settings