ZINE TRADE PART TWO

Remember last year how @HOBO arranged a whole zine trade thing? That was fun right? Let’s do it again!!

There are lots of ways to make zines. The traditional way to do this is to draw on a piece of paper, then photocopy it a bunch and fold it into a little magazine. Here’s a template that should give you an idea of how you can make one:

template

The other way is to make it digitally. The easiest and most fun way to do this is to use Electric Zine Maker - a tool I’ve used a bit and found to be quite awesome:

Either way, if you end up printing/photocopying your zine, then you’ll want to fold it too. I really like this image showing the process of folding it:

folding guide

And that’s just the simple template! You can get real wild with these, as you might see in Electric Zine Maker. I prefer the little baby ones though myself.

If you’ve never made a zine before, here are some tips:

1. You don’t have to have a good idea
  2. You don’t have to have any ideas at all, in fact
  3. Everyone can make a zine
  4. The fact that they exist at all makes them cool by default
  5. Just copy and paste some images from Online and put weird text over them!! that’s a zine!!!

If you would like some inspiration, here is one that I made:

BOOK_myZine_Sun_Sep_4_163901_GMT0500_2022.pdf (603.1 KB)

(I can’t find the file for my other one though)

Anyway, let’s make some cool zines again!! Folks going to the meetup: let’s do an exchange in person! we can have a folding party there too. Then everyone can upload their sick-ass zines after the meetup and we can do a virtual exchange too.

EDIT: ALL THE ZINES ARE HERE:

10 Likes

oh and i figure we can use this thread to share ideas, tease our cool zines, etc. just wanna get folks excited!!!

1 Like

thinking of themes for my zine that I inevitably panic about and abandon, this is always fun

2 Likes

i would be happy to get a book of scribbles and weird garbage from everyone tbh

4 Likes

If anyone wants more examples from last year, here’s the ones I put online:

https://boojiboy7.github.io/zines/

6 Likes

Ooooo, I’ll do this!

4 Likes

@daphaknee remembered that last year there was a co-working session, so let’s do that again!! Basically we’ll just join a voice chat and/or share what we’re doing, be that digital or physical. Or not share! Just coworking is nice and incredibly productive in my experience

I’m figuring Friday evenings are probably the best for most people, here’s a quick poll to see which Friday

• Friday the 13th (oooo scary)
  • Friday the 20th (oooo normal)
0 voters

Feel free to pick both if you don’t have a preference. I’ll drop a discord link here once I figure out what discord to do it in, also!

I’ve got an idea but it remains to be seen if I can pull anything out of it (i think it will be good though)

1 Like

We’re gonna do it in the build channel here:

yaay thanks daphny!!

1 Like

VOICE CHAT WITH BUTTS I’ll let free company people know what’s up so people don’t pop in the chat being like WHAT CONTENT WE RUNNING IS IT TIME FOR MAPS

1 Like

Looks like it’s gonna be Friday the 13th!! I’m just gonna say we’ll start at 2023-10-14T01:30:00Z and I’d expect it to go for several hours as people come and go.

See y’all then!!

2 Likes

i have never made a zine before and have always wanted to! riddled with covid rn but will at least start thinking up some ideas…

5 Likes

probably not going into the final product but refamiliarizing myself with Electric Zine Maker and newly using Aseprite just to warm up.

5 Likes

THIS IS HAPPENING NOW

GET IN HERE

holy shit i actually finished my zine, then shrug said ‘im writing some cringe ah ah prose’ (actual true and honest quote they completely said this are you kidding… hoohoohoho)and i was like now i wanna write a poem maybe ill make two zines MAYBE no promises WE’LL SEE i just made this one so fast and actually stuck with my idea? this is a major improvement over last year. by the time im dead ill be able to keep an appointment!

4 Likes

I have completed my zine and will now seek to print out a buncha these (like 25?)

3 Likes

If anyone wants to do more of this, I have plenty more QoP to work on, so I should be around tonight on the FF server or wherever.

Bleh, alright, went to print these at a Kinkos near me.

Here was what I selected:

Unfortunately, they seem to come by default with this 1/4" margin:

Which is going to be a pain to cut off and fold correctly.

Wanted to note it for the rest of y’all. If you can, have them do a test print first, or see if you can chat with someone there.

2 Likes

I can bring my big stapler for anyone who might want to use it

I used to have a cutting dealy that made trimming margins easy but it’s gone now :frowning:

Though most print shops should have one you can use, hassle to do it at all though

1 Like

I tried using scribus to make a zine, but the zine templates I downloaded did not work. It’s totally like old open source software is where nothing really works and there’s a current version compatible for OS/2 Warp

2 Likes

I use Affinity Publisher for my recent zines* and I can’t recommend it enough. Don’t recommend like buying a license unless you’re gonna get a ton of use out of it but there’s a trial and maybe there are other ways of using it out there somewhere, I dunno, great app though

*aside from the New Loo Review which was Electric Zine Maker (also good and cool but I’m what you might call a “power user” at this point in my “career”)

5 Likes