Zelda: Cries of the Commonwealth

I still ain’t played the last one, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the handheld spinoff one.

Hell I think Minnish Cap is where I’ve left off and Wind Waker is the last Big One I’ve played. Tempted to just leave it at that

5 Likes

oh my impression was that game text followed system language?

1 Like

me when my weapon breaks before it can kill the first enemy

19 Likes

yeah if anyone was hoping that weapon durability was changed, if anything things seem to break faster. but there’s more of them, just shit lying around everywhere. i gotta embrace entropy

8 Likes

You haven’t missed much! But Breath of the Wild and A Link Between Worlds are both pretty good.

I’m planning to get Pikmin with my second voucher, but that might not be your cup.

I know we have a spoiler thread, but I’m hoping to share anecdotes here. Reader discretion advised! I’ll use tags where appropriate, but this ain’t exactly Elden Ring.

Speaking of which, the main comparison between this game and that for me right now is whether it’s better to die repeatedly in atmospheric mortal combat or to comedy jank.

First thing from me: they sidetracked me hard in the tutorial, just before a main objective, by placing a spicy pepper bush next to the frozen section of the island.

I took the bait and it led me to a big rock which seemed to do nothing and a fight against two more advanced robot sentries. Before unlocking any powers, I was able to knock one off a cliff, kite the other, and eventually kill both using twigs and whatever the first one dropped. But that left me with only 50 seconds of cold resistance left when the game saved, so I spent the next 20 minutes or so repeatedly freezing or stumbling to death while trying to figure out the quickest path back down the mountain.

I realized later I already had some more cooked peppers that I plum forgot about (big inventory) and that do-nothing rock was a shrine entrance that would’ve activated for me if I’d just followed the main path to begin with.

I’m very relieved to now be out of the tutorial island because it was giving me Skyward Sword vibes and my first official complaint is “too much game without a hang glider.”

5 Likes

I forgot about this one, it was pretty decent yeah

Coincidentally trying to catch up on the dumb HBO dragons show just before this game dropped helped ease me into the English VO I think.

Man I just used my hand magic to help the world’s dumbest guy hold a sign in place and I have a sinking feeling there’s more of that to come. He gave me some rice though.

2 Likes

Rocking a French build. The tutorial island was super long but I actually appreciated the space to be able to get used to the new abilities which are a lot weirder. Love ascending through shit. Kinda like the Zonai design given there hasn’t been a new Zelda race in a long time.

1 Like

I finally played BotW recently and the official Cuba Review is that while it is pretty good it is inessential. There are things to like about it but it is not nearly as open and immersive-simmy as you may have been led to believe, it’s all quite explicable and bite-sized in practice. Recommended but not worth breaking a streak over.

7 Likes

i will say i think it worked better in context, too, than it does in retrospect. like elden ring, i had fairly low expectations the open world would provide anything interesting, but was pleasantly surprised.

it’s really playful and not knowing the bounds of what the game actually was gave me a lot of forward momentum.

this game is really cool but it’s definitely in the banjo-kazooie and mario sunshine school of peculiar confidence in convoluted 3D platformer controls

8 Likes

Yeah it definitely gets worse as it goes on and you realize exactly how it’s circumscribed and all the mystery and wonder drains away; but, to be fair, I feel that way about most games. And most everything else really.

7 Likes

I’ve maybe never had to think this hard about how to rotate an object.

4 Likes

I put God knows how many hours into BotW but I’m still thrown by just how many fuckin’ buttons this thing uses, is Armored Core this complicated, it’s been a long time since I played Armored Core

Reusing the same UI and music and jingles and so many assets really makes this feel more like an expansion pack than a sequel so far. Besides the new powers I haven’t seen anything that feels new and having to regain all these features I had before is…well, not a drag, really, the game is fine, I just wish I already had a horse, y’know?

Haven’t had too many opportunities to actually use all this fusing bullshit, I thought I could make my own cart using wood + wheels + fans but that doesn’t really seem to work which is a real disappointment. So far the trickiest part of the game has been mounting the dang vehicles really.

I also want to give Link a haircut.

I’m sure fresh stuff pops up eventually, I found the opening pretty satisfying and mildly challenging even though 90% of that challenge came from my, uh, Switch having rendering issues with lots of textures that made it really hard to tell which walls were climbable. That’s all fixed now though, game looks pretty good, needs more freaks and weirdoes though, not a fan of these little robots, none of them seem to be assholes or perverts, one of my fav things about Zelda is the abundance of assholes and perverts.

This lady was cool even though I don’t think she’s a pervert. Always a chance but I don’t think she’s a pervert.

An NPC mentioned an area that’s considered the fashion capital of Hyrule so I’m making a beeline there, gonna be real cheezed off if I can’t find lots of new looks in this game.

6 Likes

Ascend really breaks vertical progression if you can pixelhunt for the right spot. I’m enjoying avoiding the slappy combat so far.

Also if you dislike rotating 3d objects in a very particular way you may not like this game

looking forward to putting my in-brain cube-rotating skills to good use when i get around to buying this in a few weeks/months

2 Likes

yeah this game is fiddly as fuck, i am astounded that this has the mainstream appeal that it seems to have.

1 Like

I think it boils down to:

• roblox is really popular
  • Zelda can do whatever it wants

I’m not sure where I stand on it so far. it eats time very well and I never had a legal copy of the last one so it’s kind of novel to actually play it on switch. the tutorial is kind of leaden compared to what I remember from breath of the wild.

giving you pitch and yaw but no roll is a cruel joke imo

yeah nintendo let me imagine in my mind the series of equivalent quaternion transformations

i can barely imagine 2d rotations in most games

10 Likes