Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Roommate told me last night that he was disappointed that there’s no “real” reward to getting all the korok seeds in response to the korok mask and I’m like ‘Value your time’. Gamers am I right?

1 Like

Should have been like “No, see, finding the seeds is the “reward”.”

Anyway, I’m kind of glad I’m waiting until later to play this. With the dlc will come some decent quality of life improvements, in addition to MOAR STUFF and such.

I still need to go after the goron and gerudo ancient beast machines mostly because of the work involved in staking out the NPC to get the gerudo outfit and getting fireproof armor and buffing it up to an acceptable defense level. I found the Tarry Town place and now looking for a goron with a name ending in son. I’d kind of like to just happen upon him but not patient enough to hunt him down without some kind of hint so I will probably refer to a guide. Sweeped most of goron city but haven’t explored the surrounding area that much so no idea if he’s hiding around there.

I’ve seen multiple sources say it works retroactively, which means they implemented it so they could sell you DLC (although it’s still a cool feature!)

@ArOne
I can tell you that all the Tarrey Town citizens are found in their native regions as well as populated places (not always necessarily the capital though). If you’re looking to find them in some cave off in the wilderness you’re overthinking things.
I’d suggest looking into some alternatives if grinding for materials is holding you back. Have you found the Fang and Bone yet? Get as many Monster Extracts as you can from there since if you add it to the right combination of food (and have a bit of luck) you can make the effects of the stuff last 30 whole minutes. Either mix up a Fire Protection or Defense Up and hope for the best.

@Gate88
Okay, so that kind of on-disc DLC is the worst and all and that Nintendo is now embracing it slowly but surely is a bummer but just GOD if it works as expected it may just be my favourite feature of all time as the map-obsessed sap that I am. Being able to easily export it as a video would be absolute perfection but I suppose camera phones to TV screens will have to do.
The hot new social media trend of the week coming soon to all your Twitter timelines.

It’s very likely parts of the feature were ready for ship but others weren’t; any modern big game should be logging telemetry like player position periodically, creating a user interface at a Nintendo level of polish is something that would take a few man-weeks of work and could very likely have slipped past release date. When it launches in DLC, it could all be new except the database of telemetry that they’ve always had.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply it was all there already and they just flipped a switch. However, were it originally planned for the base game and just slipped release they could have added it as a free patch (of which they’ve had multiple already).

I’m not particularly bothered by it, regardless.

FYI, this is pretty much playable in Cemu at this point if you use the newest free version plus a shader cache and a dll addin called cemuhook (which overrides games’ normally aggressive VSync that makes anything below 30FPS unplayable and enables proper h264 decoding of cutscenes) – I get about 20FPS on a 4ghz 3570k, and the 1.7.5 Cemu release becomes free for non-patrons this Sunday, which is supposed to provide a ~20% speedup

looks pretty darn good at 1440

1 Like

I just realized that this is by far the most GSync has come in useful for me

anyway, two months to relatively performant emulation isn’t nintendo’s worst

1 Like

yeah I’ve played through 3 of the early-game shrines like this and it’s pretty solid!

I did wipe my CMOS accidentally due to my current adventures detailed in the computer thread and running this without my tiny overclock (at like 3.5ghz turbo instead of 4?) was substantially worse in terms of stuttering so I get the sense there’s still a CPU threshold I’m barely clearing, but most i5-xxxKs should be able to hit it. and gsync is a major help here given that there’s still a significant difference between the hardware that can run it at 20-25 FPS with fluctuations – especially considering that, as I mentioned in my first post, you literally need to run a plugin to break the game’s frametiming code to make that feasible in the first place – and hardware that can do 30 solid (which, afaik, is like “a 6700K with a healthy overclock on the paid emulator branch only”)

the shadow resolution is fucked up but that’s a pretty minor detail considering

I’m having trouble keeping the buttons straight on an xbone pad though which makes me feel very old

man this is such a good-ass game. EAD is really, genuinely good again! Mario 3D Land is five and a half years old so that was a more protracted comeback than I’d realized, but they are back to committing to making games feel good without being only suitable for high level play in a way that almost no one else has the resources or patience for.

I did not remotely expect them to make the first zelda since the SNES that really changes the formula and seems aware of the existence of other similar videogames.

I did finally get an emulator crash though

Did it happen to be just after you killed or knocked over a Moblin (those large, lanky enemies) causing it to ragdoll?

nope, it was after landing from a nice long glide from the dueling peaks shrines to kakariko bridge

I finally got the Master Sword. I haven’t used it at all - I fell asleep and dropped the Wii U gamepad on my face right after I got it, so I turned it off.

3 Likes

Sounds like quite the climax

3 Likes

I see. Was asking since ragdolling Moblins have on rare occasions caused the Wii U version to completely freeze up for a second or two for me. There’s been some other framerate chugging areas here and there but none of them nowhere near where I’m worried the game might have actually crashed. Curious if something similar might happen on an emulator actually.

@VastleCania Make sure to try it out for a bit and see if you can figure out its hidden ability that my brother spent almost the entire game completely unaware of.

good lord even the towns feel relatively subtle and inspired

what have they done with my zelda

oh okay this narrative dump still sucks phew

The story is the worst part but the way it’s incorporated is neat. Be sure to do the quest Impa gives you (to go to the other town and meet the scientist lady) before fucking off to do cooler stuff. You get a sweet camera (that can even take selfies) and another main plot quest which is the cool incorporation of the plot i’m talking about.