Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The more I play the more I agree. This feels like the kind of game that will genuinely affect the way that people design open world games in the next few years.

3 Likes

I knew about parries but not about witch time, thanks!

The frame rate is worst in towns or in areas with lots of foliage. If there were a town with lots of foliage it would be real badā€¦

I havenā€™t played this much of a game in this little time in years.

maybe I shouldnā€™t have been in such a hurry to sell @username my wiiU, hereā€™s hoping it worksin cemu in a couple months

Iā€™m super enamored by this game. It feels much greater than the sum of its parts.

game is legit amazing, didnā€™t think they were capable of something like this

canā€™t believe how many dumb zelda things they did away with!

3 Likes

i think i ended up googling how to do this. and then, after doing it the first time, they gave me a tutorial on how to do itā€¦

One of my favorite things thatā€™s happened in a Shrine so far is in Hateno Village where you use motion controls to operate a machine that is a large labyrinth to guide a ball to the end. After making a mistake at the very end of it, I decided to see if I could flip the maze completely upside down by turning the controller around. A fresh ball fell down on to it and the game did not stop me from using the completely flat surface underneath the maze where I (just barely) flipped the ball up to the goal ramp. There was another shrine somewhere in Zora land that I got through with boulders flying down a huge pachinko board/water ramp that I am pretty sure I solved in a weird way that was maybe not intended, and thatā€™s pretty neat.

3 Likes

No take backs!

I have no clue how the Switch version runs, but the Wii U version of this runs fine for me so far. I had one or two times where the framerate took a hit for a few seconds, and some textures look a bit blurry up close but I think it is otherwise a very handsome game.

I feel like Iā€™m much earlier in the game than most here so Iā€™m skipping much of the conversation (another way it is like Dark Soulsā€¦) but it is odd in that it both feels very un-Zelda-like while also feeling like the kind of Zelda game Iā€™ve wanted since I was first disappointing by Ocarinaā€™s Hyrule Field 18 or so years ago.

What Iā€™ve learned so far is that I felt so smart by setting my club on fire so that I could wander into the mountains without freezing right up until the point where it collapsed into ash right near the peak. We call that an oopsie.

1 Like

I just did my first dungeon (Medoh) 26 hours in.

[spoiler]The approach and attack reminded me of Halo 3 scarab fights. I was stumped on the terminal on the wing until I noticed the pink arrows on the map screen for adjusting the tilt of the bird. I love how lean the shrines and beasts are! Barely any combat for combatā€™s sake.

I hate the tsundere birdman ghost but heā€™s the only character Iā€™ve disliked so far.[/spoiler]

You people are Zelda hyping me when I thought I was in-Zelda-hypeable anymore. Goddammit.

4 Likes

it feels like you can brute force almost every puzzle/shrine but in a way thatā€™s just as creative as the intended solution (which - i guess because of the fragmented approach to shrines, just a single puzzle in each - has been really well designed)

yeah, same here
iā€™m slowly becoming one of those people with a ā€œbacklogā€ as is but iā€™m tempted to dig out my wii-u and go through the hacking guide

yo let me know if you do this iā€™ll give you some tips on getting BotW to run

I bought this game (but only after pirating it to make sure I would like it)

PROTIP: You can skip the cooking animation with X. This saves a lot of time when youā€™re making like twenty Mushroom Skewers.

1 Like

fwiw:

audio is broken & it runs way too slow atm but shouldnā€™t be too long

4 Likes

this is shocking to me

Has anyone attempted to climb the northeasternmost tower? Iā€™m pretty far in (all but that tower, 33 shrines, 2 dungeons) but I think Iā€™m still ill equipped for it.

Is it a stamina problem, or something else? Because you could just make a bunch of stamina foods and eat them while you climb.

Not sure how to talk around it so Iā€™ll spoiler it. Itā€™s a large tower surrounded by flying Guardians. I havenā€™t found anything to kill them consistently yet.

The more videos I watch about this game, the more this seems like the promise of the idealized Zelda adventure that was discussed in Insert Credit all those years ago, exept with current day technology.

Pretty much the only Zelda game Iā€™ve ever been interested in playing but oh boy itā€™s taking a lot of willpower to just not impulse buy a Switch right now. (Being able to play this on the go would be really cool, but itā€™s foolish to buy a first gen Switch, doubly so at Euro prices)

Please donā€™t hesitate to comment if the game turns shitty, even if itā€™s 90 hours in.
Iā€™m utterly amazed they made something so solid and well tuned.